Status
Not open for further replies.

Shekinahsgroom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
South East
This is part of the response that I received from an on-going debate about regulating DIY by requiring all tobacco manufacturers register and why the definitions of the law are unclear.

"The law defines a manufacturer as anyone who manufactures, fabricates, assembles, labels, or processes a tobacco product. Establishments, such as vape shops, that mix and/or prepare combinations of liquid nicotine, flavors, and/or other liquids, or an establishment that creates or modifies an aerosolizing apparatus for sale to consumers would be considered a tobacco product manufacturer."

The response is clearly scripted and did NOT answer the questions presented. I'm not going to restart the debate, but there are loopholes in the text of the law that could be used against DIY manufacturers, even though the FDA has verbally stated to others prior that it will not be regulated, though they did NOT state it to me in their responses! The law is written otherwise in several areas, including the definition of a tobacco manufacturer to include ANYONE, not just an establishment.

And instead of receiving direct answers to my questions, I got the usual confusion responses that so many of us are already familiar. They're now releasing a new 'Non-binding Recommendations Draft" for review.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/TobaccoProducts/Labeling/RulesRegulationsGuidance/UCM536997.pdf

I haven't fully reviewed this draft, but based on the 2 written responses that I have received directly from the offices of compliance at the FDA, it's more of the same drivel that can only be understood by those with a law degree. Their responses could be viewed as a direct refusal to answer my questions. Big surprise there, right?

I explained the DIY conundrum in detail, which could easily lead to an open black market if word got out about the multiple loopholes and a possible collapse of the TCA as a whole, but I received no direct answers....not 1. DIY wasn't even mentioned in their responses.

Here's more of their second response, which reads as DIY could be regulated by requiring registration since manufacturing is included but marketing, sales and distribution is not a requirement to be considered a tobacco manufacturer:

"The Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (FD&C Act) gives the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) the authority to regulate the manufacturing, marketing, sale, and distribution of tobacco products in the United States. Section 201(rr)(1) of the FD&C Act defines “tobacco product” as “any product made or derived from tobacco that is intended for human consumption, including any component, part or accessory of a tobacco product.

FDA originally regulated cigarettes, cigarette tobacco, roll-your-own tobacco, and smokeless tobacco under its tobacco product authorities. The Deeming rule published in the Federal Register on May 10, 2016, and took effect on August 8, 2016. While FDA continues to regulate cigarettes, cigarette tobacco, roll-your-own tobacco, and smokeless tobacco products, the Deeming rule extends FDA’s authority to “newly deemed” tobacco products such as electronic cigarettes, cigars, hookah, and pipe tobacco, as well as their components and parts, but not the accessories of newly deemed products.

The rule subjects all manufacturers, importers and/or retailers of newly-regulated tobacco products to any applicable provisions, bringing them in line with other tobacco products the FDA has regulated since 2009. Retail establishments that engage in certain activities may also be subject to certain requirements of the FD&C Act that apply to tobacco product manufacturers and to establishments that engage in the manufacture, preparation, compounding, or processing of tobacco products. These activities may also include modifying a product so that it is a “new tobacco product” subject to premarket review. As explained in the Deeming rule, the FD&C Act authorizes FDA to regulate the manufacture of new tobacco products including those manufactured at the retail level.

• Register domestic manufacturing establishment(s) and submit product listings to FDA by June 30, 2017;
  • Reporting ingredients, and harmful and potentially harmful constituents;
  • Placing health warnings on product packages and advertisements; and
  • Not selling modified risk tobacco products (including those described as “light,” “low,” or “mild”) unless authorized by the FDA.
Failure to comply with these requirements may render the affected tobacco product adulterated, misbranded, or both. When a tobacco product is adulterated or misbranded, it is illegal to sell or distribute the product in interstate commerce or import the product into the United States. Doing so may result in FDA initiating regulatory actions, such as warning letters, civil money penalties, seizures, or injunctions."

The foundation of the debate and a primary concern for anyone that DIY's their own gear and juice is whether or not the FDA will at some point regulate DIY by forcing every tobacco manufacturer register (which includes DIY) because that's how the law is actually written. Everything else (import, marketing, sales, distribution) falls into a tobacco manufacturer's intent prior to registration. The dangers for DIY'ers, at this point, is guaranteeing that your stuff is ONLY used by you and if someone else is caught with your stuff...regardless of how they obtained it (given away, theft, sold, disposed of, misplaced, whatever)...you could be held accountable if you're not already registered as a tobacco manufacturer. But even if you already are registered, certain regulations already prevent you from giving anything away (free samples) or distribution beyond the scope of the regulations.
The implications of the severity of legal trouble for DIY'ers is just frightening thinking about it, especially if the recipient of your stuff is a minor.

:danger:

But ZERO answers from the FDA!

AGAIN....I'm not here to restart the debate, I'm only here to tell you that the FDA did not address ANY of these concerns with clear answers and completely avoided answering them! But to be real honest, I don't think that the FDA even knows what they're doing or how to regulate tobacco products??

Feel free to comment, cuz the FDA is intentionally withholding information....that much is abundantly clear! Just issuing a "we're not going to be responsible for this draft guidance in the event it doesn't fly" pretty much says it all...doesn't it?

KODIAK (TM)

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2014
Dead Moose, AK
So much for the written audit trail. Did you really expect some low-level FDA grunt to risk their career by "free styling" a response?

Again, what you look for is not in the deeming because nobody thought they'd have to explain that it's ok to do whatever you want in your own home for your own personal use using perfectly legal substances (DIY).

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Although I can't find a the reference to it, my understanding is that the FDA does not regulate tobacco products that are produced for personal consumption; they only regulate tobacco products offered in commerce.

As evidence, consider the fact that the FDA has never attempted to prevent people from growing growing their own tobacco or consuming that homegrown tobacco in whatever form they wish, whether it it chewed or smoked.

Am I surprised that they don't state this clearly? No, I'm not.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
My reading and understanding is that what ever I possess and use personally, as of now or acquire for some time ahead and use personally, is legal for me to possess and use. All the federal regulations I've read about seem to apply to anyone who can be considered a commercial operator.

A question that might be addressed, because it applies to the present, what is the consumer responsibility if they acquire a product that is new, post August '16? It's clear an importer or US seller has violated the regulations but is there any sanction in the rules for the consumer? So far I'm not aware of any.

Shekinahsgroom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
South East
So much for the written audit trail. Did you really expect some low-level FDA grunt to risk their career by "free styling" a response?

Again, what you look for is not in the deeming because nobody thought they'd have to explain that it's ok to do whatever you want in your own home for your own personal use using perfectly legal substances (DIY).

She wasn't "low level", she was a compliance officer.

Shekinahsgroom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
South East
Although I can't find a the reference to it, my understanding is that the FDA does not regulate tobacco products that are produced for personal consumption; they only regulate tobacco products offered in commerce.

As evidence, consider the fact that the FDA has never attempted to prevent people from growing growing their own tobacco or consuming that homegrown tobacco in whatever form they wish, whether it it chewed or smoked.

Am I surprised that they don't state this clearly? No, I'm not.

The debate opened up a gigantic hole that cannot be answered using the text of the law and not even the compliance officer would answer it.

One of the scenarios that I presented to her was asking what would stop any and all tobacco manufacturers (like a juice-maker) from starting out as a DIY manufacturer and not registering?

I provided multiple scenarios for her to answer...and she came back with scripted drivel.

Not 1 single answer to anything....

The gaping hole falls on registering as a tobacco manufacturer, which does include DIY, at least according to how the law is written. But the dangers are not personal use, it's what's gonna happen if someone else is caught possessing your stuff? If you're not registered, what's going to happen to you? Even worse if a minor is caught in possession of your stuff.

There's just too many scenarios that crack DIY wide open for scrutiny, including a black market. Nothing could be traced to it's source unless you're registered or you're providing some kind of receipts.

Let's face it, if the TCA winds up increasing the prices of juice to the point of absurdity, which could very well happen, DIY would take over the juice market very quickly. Which in turn could lead to store closures and a rapid decline in commercial sales.

We all know that the large majority of profits that retail stores gain is through their juice sales, they make almost nothing on gear (too much competition). So is this a scenario that the FDA is planning on and are waiting to spring DIY regulations once the large majority of commercial operations are gone? I dunno, but their lack of clear answers only draws more questions. There's got to be a reason why the regulations are written to include DIY....

(A carefully planned conspiracy to destroy vaping altogether?)

It comes down to..."How many of us that DIY would be willing to register as a tobacco manufacturer and be held accountable under the laws?" The sad truth would be....not very many, myself included.

Take out commercial operations first, then destroy the black market (DIY) and what's left? Only a small handful of diehard vapers, all buying juice from Mike! :banana:

If the media got a hold of the debate loopholes, before they could implement such a plan, it could be disastrous for the TCA as a whole! Not to mention making the FDA look like Keystone Cops!

Last edited:

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
The answer is no. You can DIY all you want for personal consumption.
If you buy your supplies as raw materials the FDA has no authority
to regulate you. When the talk about RYO the refer to the products
you buy from a tobacconist or store. One can grow their own tobacco,
make their own pipe or paper or,process the tobacco into snuff or
chew. The raw material clause may have have been intended for
the few manufacturers the FDA thought would remain,ie,BT.
With out sales or distribution there is no regulatory oversight
for personal use. Generally this means not even to house
guests as a courtesy. To my knowledge no one has ever been fined,
arrested nor,even cited for any such instance.I have heard of problems
where DIY's(wine or beer) have gotten into trouble when investigated
were found to be actually running a disorderly house.(after hours joint)
They were selling what they they made or,buying alcohol from stores
and reselling it in there homes. The major problem is not so much the selling
but,the avoidance of paying the appropriate taxes and fee's.

I agree with you in the fact that the FDA hasn't specifically written a
DIY clause into the regulations but,suspect down the road this will
be addressed in future regulations or the courts. Unless everyone starts
DIY'ing there should be no issues to worry about.
Think of it this way. One can legally build their own car and drive it all
day on their own property and no legal authority can do anything about
it other than if you can have passengers. If you drive it on public
roads there are mountains of conditions and regulations you must
comply with.
Regards
Mike

Shekinahsgroom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
South East
The answer is no. You can DIY all you want for personal consumption. If you buy your supplies as raw materials the FDA has no authority to regulate you.

And just how many people buy tobacco and extract their own nicotine and use it for DIY?

The answer is maybe .001% (if any), so your reference doesn't apply to 99.999% of the population of DIY'ers.

The only people that I've even heard of doing this were retail shops that catered to cigar flavors, but I've NEVER even read about anyone doing it for DIY! The danger of overdosing from self-extraction was discussed at length way back when the FDA seizures occurred. Back when peeps first became paranoid that the FDA & BT were trying to snuff out vaping. But nobody was dumb enough to even attempt it without a lab testing it first, the risk of overdosing was far too great.

And even if there is anyone that's crazy enough to consider extracting their own nic from raw tobacco, it still doesn't make them exempt from having to register as a tobacco manufacturer assuming they mix it with anything else that's also regulated (VG, PG, flavors). If you mix, you're a regulated tobacco manufacturer, there's no getting around it.

And it isn't DIY for personal use that's an immediate concern, it's distribution (i.e. accidental, gave away, thrown away, stolen, misplaced, whatever..) This is a real problem, one of the many unanswered questions that the FDA has either ignored or is refusing to answer.

The way that the law is written, DIY is included and you're still a tobacco manufacturer if you mix, even if the FDA has stated that compliance will not be enforced for personal use. Their attitude could change at any point and force DIY'ers to register to prevent unauthorized/accidental distribution or sales (black market).

My concern, atm, is why the secrecy?
There must be a reason that DIY is written into the law and why they're not answering questions.
Nobody knows nuthin', including us.

The bigger picture is what most people don't even stop to think about, which is the real reason that the FDA wanted to classify e-cigs as a medical device and why they seized shipments back in 2008, over-stepping their authority.

Nicotine is just the tip of the iceberg, it's everything ELSE that can be dissolved in PG undetected that's an even greater threat. Vaping created an enormous smuggling problem for the DEA, the FDA is just a cover for the actual threat and is a means to an end....for vaping.

Last edited:

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
The FDA employees can point out the part of their regulation they believe applies to your question and quote it. May be they are instructed that they can't interpret it for you. Perhaps only courts will be doing that. If the FDA decided to go after DIYers would the "industry" would defend them in court? Stocking cost me hundreds, not thousands, of dollars. Stay tuned.

Reactions: motordude

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
And just how many people buy tobacco and extract their own nicotine and use it for DIY?
The reason nicotine will not be regulated is because it is a raw material.
In the southern states growing tobacco is a family tradition. cigarettes
are generally cheaper there not only because it is a important cash crop but,
the population knows how to process it and make their own product.
"And it isn't DIY for personal use that's an immediate concern, it's distribution (i.e. accidental, gave away, thrown away, stolen, misplaced, whatever..) This is a real problem, one of the many unanswered questions that the FDA has either ignored or is refusing to answer."
Are they refusing to answer or perhaps,there is no answer.
As explained just as with DIY alcohol, minor infractions are
on the books to prevent distribution for profit and avoidance
of taxes and fees. No one has ever been cited for letting a friend
try a bowl of their home grown(tobacco) or,craft beer.

Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: Izan

Shekinahsgroom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
South East
The reason nicotine will not be regulated is because it is a raw material. In the southern states growing tobacco is a family tradition. cigarettes
are generally cheaper there not only because it is a important cash crop but,
the population knows how to process it and make their own product.

Tobacco is a raw material, not nicotine. It's a component of tobacco and is age-requirement regulated (extremely deadly poison). Pure nicotine was regulated long before vaping was even a word, that's why it doesn't require a PMTA because it was already on the market before 2007. It's widely used in the patch, nicotine-laced gums, lozenges, etc. and why you need a prescription to obtain it (mixed). And before cessation products, it's used as an insecticide for crops.

Anybody over the age of 18 (in most states) can buy pure nic, but it's useless for vaping until it's mixed with a carrier. Once it's mixed, you're a tobacco manufacturer and are under the authority of the TCA.

This is why their silence concerns me; they're planning something in secret.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
You do not need to be 18 to buy nicotine. You just need a reason that's not going to lead to ingestion. It's not a controlled substance. (Yet)

And a Seller willing to Sell it to a Minor.

Which may be Harder to find than a Believable Reason why a Minor would be buying Nicotine if not to Ingest it.

Reactions: Verb

Shekinahsgroom

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
South East
You do not need to be 18 to buy nicotine. You just need a reason that's not going to lead to ingestion. It's not a controlled substance. (Yet)

"The law defines a manufacturer as anyone who manufactures, fabricates, assembles, labels, or processes a tobacco product. Establishments, such as vape shops, that mix and/or prepare combinations of liquid nicotine, flavors, and/or other liquids, or an establishment that creates or modifies an aerosolizing apparatus for sale to consumers would be considered a tobacco product manufacturer."

http://publichealthlawcenter.org/si...tronic-Nicotine-Delivery-Systems-07102015.pdf

Tobacco product = extracted nicotine from tobacco.

Though I'd have to actually find the law that defines it, I'm pretty sure that a minor cannot buy one of the deadliest poisons known to man. If a minor cannot buy tobacco, then selling it's primary derivative (drug) to a minor doesn't make any sense at all. If the nicotine was extracted from tobacco and it's for sale, it's regulated.

What skoony was pointing out wasn't buying tobacco, it was growing it yourself...which isn't regulated. You could do the exact same thing with eggplant or tomatoes in large quantity.

Self-extraction is something else entirely since you're altering it's composition to manufacture a component of tobacco and isolating it like a laboratory making a new tobacco product (regulated). However, if you don't intend on selling it (DIY) and you made it yourself, it's not regulated. It's only if you made it yourself and then distribute it in some form that it could be regulated. But if you bought the nic and you mix it, you're a tobacco manufacturer and you could be forced to register at some point in the future.

Matter of fact, the eggplant scenario has been widely agreed that it could be a viable way to circumvent the TCA. But you'd need a crapload of it and a professional lab to even isolate it for use. But once you mix it with anything else that falls under the TCA's control (a carrier/mixing), that's the end of it and it would be considered a tobacco product regardless of where the nicotine was derived.

If I remember right, it was something like 20 fully matured eggplants to produce the same amount of nicotine in 1 cigarette.

Never mind, here's the article:

Nicotine In Vegetables: 20 Pounds Of Eggplant Equivalent To 1 Cigarette | The Huffington Post

This whole discussion came up when the FDA announced pending regulations back in, what was it, 2011/2012? And eggplant won the vote because it has the highest concentration of nicotine per pound. But the TCA still gets you since you cannot vape pure nicotine, so the eggplant scenario lost momentum under the weight of regulation. There's just no way around it....other than a black market.

And it's in my own opinion why the FDA is hiding info. I think that they're planning to, at some point, regulate DIY by forcing registration....killing any black markets that form from insane retail juice prices.

By withholding their intentions, most DIY people won't suspect a thing...until it's too late to do anything about it. This is why so many of us have stocked our freezers with nic to last upwards of a decade. Most of us don't trust the FDA and have already prepared for the worst.

Others have prepared for the rest of their lives and bought a liter of pure nic and mix their own juice from scratch!

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Pure nicotine was regulated long before vaping was even a word
Regulated how, by what agency? What exactly are the restrictions?
Anybody over the age of 18 (in most states) can buy pure nic
Doesn't sound very "regulated" to me.
I'm pretty sure that a minor cannot buy one of the deadliest poisons known to man.
Hyperbole. Vitamin D has a lower LD50 and there are toxins that have LD50s four to six orders of magnitude lower than that. Source (PDF)

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
And it's in my own opinion why the FDA is hiding info. I think that they're planning to, at some point, regulate DIY by forcing registration....killing any black markets that form from insane retail juice prices.
IMO, you're conflating two concepts. DIY is for personal use. Someone who is making juice to sell, regardless whether his market is black, white, or some shade of gray is not just doing DIY.

By withholding their intentions, most DIY people won't suspect a thing...until it's too late to do anything about it. This is why so many of us have stocked our freezers with nic to last upwards of a decade. Most of us don't trust the FDA and have already prepared for the worst.
I suppose what you are suggesting is that the FDA might restrict the (above-board) availability of nicotine to only those who have registered as tobacco product manufacturers.

That's not exactly a novel concept. People have speculated that they might do this, at least since the Deeming was first proposed almost 3 years ago.

Myrany

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2013
Louisiana
That's not exactly a novel concept. People have speculated that they might do this, at least since the Deeming was first proposed almost 3 years ago.
Exactly. I have always believed from the moment I first heard about the deeming nearly 4 years ago that the real choke point was on the nicotine. They do not need to regulate the hardware if the nicotine becomes impossible to get by anyone in the us (individual or business). It actually surprised me that they went the route of regulating absolutely everything when there was a far simpler way to destroy vaping right in front of them.

Reactions: LaraC and DC2

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Exactly. I have always believed from the moment I first heard about the deeming nearly 4 years ago that the real choke point was on the nicotine. They do not need to regulate the hardware if the nicotine becomes impossible to get by anyone in the us (individual or business). It actually surprised me that they went the route of regulating absolutely everything when there was a far simpler way to destroy vaping right in front of them.
It certainly is the most obvious choke-point, but the FDA may have concluded that just shutting down the (above-board) availability of nicotine is not sufficient.

Think about how much juice could be made from a single liter of pure nic, which could easily be disguised as a bottle of booze, and it's perfectly legal to bring a single bottle of booze back with you when you return from a trip outside the US. There is no doubt in my mind that nic would continue to be available regardless of any laws or regulations prohibiting it. The only question is price, quality, and level of risk one might need to accept in order to obtain it.

Then there's the fact that most of us real die-hards have stocked our freezers. I fully expect my supply will out-live me.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    When someone who knows the answer won't give it, the answer is the one they don't want to give out.

The answer is maybe .001% (if any), so your reference doesn't apply to 99.999% of the population of DIY'ers.

The only people that I've even heard of doing this were retail shops that catered to cigar flavors, but I've NEVER even read about anyone doing it for DIY!

I believe you're confusing extraction of flavor. Nicotine levels are insignificant. The only vaping-specific extraction of nicotine I've heard of is for Whole Tobacco Alkaloids, used by perhaps .001% of vapers.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread