FDA Spokesperson Rita Chappelle Shoots Down Both the Device and The Nicotine For a Ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smooth Opervapor

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Meridian, MS
WOW!!! This is unbelievable!!! Ladies and Gentlemen, this is the perfect example of our future in this country. This is only the beginning. There are other examples in which society is "kept" from activities and services that people could benefit from. Look at the guy who invent a RUNNING motor that ran off water. This was several years ago. Why haven't we seen this in production? It would be more efficient than gasoline and not use up a natural resource. Let me tell you why.... Big oil would suffer. Big oil has the money to buy whatever they want. Big Tabacco is NO different!!! They have the resources to "invent" a problem and blow it all out of proportion. This country is in a serious demise and we are all expendable my friends.

Sorry for the rant but feels good to vent.

Sprocket

Mar 25, 2009
Sprocket--I have placed 14 orders to China over the last 6 months--not one mislabel--so I must be missing something---Sun

Theres a whole thread here about eastmall.net and people were saying their juice was declared as body oils, massage oils, etc. Hardware was declared as cell phone batteries, etc.

Im not sure how large your orders are, but small orders will go through with very little problem. How do you think all the other banned stuff gets here?

Smokingfreely

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Arlington, TX
www.smokefreely.biz
I am an independent distributor through an LLC with no real assets, so I'm not particularily concerned about any civil action, and I have never made any medicinal claims about the product. However, if the FDA calls this a new unapproved drug, am I open to any FDA fines simply on those grounds? (I just started, the timing on this just sucks!)

SmokingFreely
info@smokefreely.biz

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
Theres a whole thread here about eastmall.net and people were saying their juice was declared as body oils, massage oils, etc. Hardware was declared as cell phone batteries, etc.

Im not sure how large your orders are, but small orders will go through with very little problem. How do you think all the other banned stuff gets here?

Sprocket--I do not have a clue but i can tell you I would not want to have any part of violating Custom laws---------Sun

SMILIN

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2008
CHITOWN USA
www.vapor4life.com
Amen brother, I am tryin to find a way to mauf. in USA, w/fda blessing..

Wow, wahtfikintaskheadache:cool:

People--you may say what you like--but please do not underestimate Rita Chappelle--As I have stated in the past, she is the Head spokesperson for the Drug division of the FDA and she gets paid to only talk when she wants to be quoted and she only states what she knows is factual.

She is the 'Voice' of the FDA and it is her, if and when a ban comes, who will make the press statement--Just goggle her name and look at what you find if you do not want to go and do some real research on Ms. Chappelle.

I do not want to see any ban, but at the same time, I am not going to close my eyes on what is going on either when I am reading statements released from the "voice' of the FDA----------Sun

Sun Vaporer

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2009
Florida
I am an independent distributor through an LLC with no real assets, so I'm not particularily concerned about any civil action, and I have never made any medicinal claims about the product. However, if the FDA calls this a new unapproved drug, am I open to any FDA fines simply on those grounds? (I just started, the timing on this just sucks!)

SmokingFreely
info@smokefreely.biz

Smokingfreely--You might want to check on just how much a LLC protects you from civil liability----An LLC will not protect the Holder from fraud, misrepresentation, and a whole host of other torts so you might want to check that out----Sun

WillPower

ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2009
MA, USA

Yes. I think it is not the best time to get into this business. But, if I HAD TO, I would distance the business from e-cig and make it as personal vaporizer business.

Yes. They can ban the device. Enforcing is another matter. Take the example of NicLite (nicotine water). They banned this, but not the bottled water. Pipe and syringe are not banned, which have very well known "unintended" usage. All these devices or delivery systems have legitimate other uses. When marketed as such, it is difficult to apply the ban.

Frankly, I think personal vaporizers are getting a bum wrap, because these devices are marketed heavily as cig replacement (a relatively quick way to boost sales to a large market). Many people do enjoy the flavor of coffee and others delivered to mouth in a vapor form, even without any nicotine. Why do these people need to suffer because FDA ban e-cig!

Besides, who's going to stop pouring NicLite (now FDA approved, I believe) into Honeywell Vicks personal vaporizer, boiling it, and inhaling the steam? :)

So, if I had to, I would position the business to serve the 0-nic customers.

My 1 ml of PG (2 cents).

TropicalBob

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2008
Port Charlotte, FL USA
I'll withhold comment on the various "strategies" to subvert the FDA's clear intention, but will say this: There is another agency yet to be heard from -- and it will almost surely be heard from. It's the agency that protects consumers from false claims. It's the FTC.

The FTC in the past has brought massive lawsuits against marketers who make false claims. If the FDA says these are not for quitting smoking and Brand XYZ claims they are on a Web site, get ready for the FTC to say "prove that claim. You advertised it." The FTC isn't sneaky; they just do screen grabs of Web sites and have their proof.

The damages they can demand are in the millions of dollars.

We've been lied to. And that's a fact. Multiple lies. Over and over. Anyone want to support lying to consumers? No? Then the FTC actions will be deserved and just.

CandyGirl

ECF Veteran
Mar 3, 2009
I'll withhold comment on the various "strategies" to subvert the FDA's clear intention, but will say this: There is another agency yet to be heard from -- and it will almost surely be heard from. It's the agency that protects consumers from false claims. It's the FTC.

The FTC in the past has brought massive lawsuits against marketers who make false claims. If the FDA says these are not for quitting smoking and Brand XYZ claims they are on a Web site, get ready for the FTC to say "prove that claim. You advertised it." The FTC isn't sneaky; they just do screen grabs of Web sites and have their proof.

The damages they can demand are in the millions of dollars.

We've been lied to. And that's a fact. Multiple lies. Over and over. Anyone want to support lying to consumers? No? Then the FTC actions will be deserved and just.

i'm hoping they'll start with the billboard advertiser who flaunted his self righteous bs in everyone's face so he could make a quick buck. :evil:
(but that's just my opinion)

MonkeyMonk

ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2009

And, that is why the FDA is delaying the ban a tad. Getting all their ducks in a row so the FTC can enter and clean up the gaming board like a dealer in Vegas.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
Actually for some people the electronic cigarette is very much a quit smoking device....so is that really a false claim anyway???

Pete - I don't think it is about false claims as much as promises. When you market a product and make promises regarding what they can do, some people truly believe that they are going to get the desired outcome they are promised. There are different rules for FDA regulated products vs Homeopathic regulated products even.

For instance: With homeopathic products you cannot claim that the product will help you quit smoking. With FDA regulated products you can. With homeopathic products you will find that they are marketed to offer assistance to aid in the side effects that come with quitting smoking.

waywardsister

ECF Veteran
Mar 26, 2009
Toronto, ON
Actually for some people the electronic cigarette is very much a quit smoking device....so is that really a false claim anyway???

From my limited understanding of the subject, marketing it as a quit-smoking aid could be considered a false (untested, unproven) claim. Like those q-ray magnetic bracelets - they were advertised as relieving a whole bunch of ailments at first, but now they cannot state any specific health claims in their advertising other than vague "feel better" phrases. At least here in Canada. Same thing happened with low-carb product labelling. Same with many 'natural remedies' etc.

LaceyUnderall

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2008
USA and Canada
If Phillip Morris suddenly bought Janty, would all of this go away? They have the nicotine. They have the capabilities. They have the money, and I don't believe that there are current restrictions on the kind of "smokeless" tobacco they sell. Is that correct, or am I missing something?

That would be an interesting tug-o-war! What if? We would have one ecig in the big Pharm camp and one in big Tob. camp! Wow! Now that I would love to see!

Hey... someone out there sell themselves to BT! Sheri and I are up for some entertainment! :pop:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread