Status
Not open for further replies.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
not sure if its a victory or not ...

Regulated Like tobacco Product Means = No Flavors outside of tobacco & Menthol, and the PACT Act = meaning, no internet sales/interstate commerce sales.

you'll be having to pick up everything locally ....

While it is a victory of sorts, we were sort of hoping for its own classification under tobacco.

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
Not so fast Cash. From the email I recieved from the FDA, now also posted on its website:

"The Agency intends to propose a regulation that would extend the Agency’s “tobacco product” authorities in Chapter IX of the FD&C Act, which currently only apply to certain specifically enumerated “tobacco products,” to other categories of tobacco products that meet the statutory definition of “tobacco product” in Section 201(rr) of the Act. The additional tobacco product categories would be subject to general controls, such as registration, product listing, ingredient listing, good manufacturing practice requirements, user fees for certain products, and the adulteration and misbranding provisions, as well as to the premarket review requirements for “new tobacco products” and “modified risk tobacco products.”"

See, Regulation of E-Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products

The key words are the "Agency intends to propose a regulation ... ."

As Bill G. has been posting repeatedly, first the FDA has to propose its new regulations over e-cigs, then there is a public comment period, and only after the whole administrative process is undertaken do the regulations become officially in effect. This can take up to two years, during which time we must all be vigilant and active in the battle to ensure that any actually officialized regulations are reasonable and science-based. And we must start to prepare, now, whatever evidence will be needed in that battle, starting with a very careful reading of the full announcement I linked to above, and then paying equally close attention to other "guidance" documents the FDA issues as it proceeds.

Yes, we have a lot of other battles to wage, but this concession to the court ruling in favor of Njoy is still a HUGE win for now!

And a PS: this does NOT mean automatic PACT Act inclusion. That would ONLY happen with an amendment of the PACT ACT itself. Nor does it mean an automatic flavor ban, as that specifically only applies to cigarettes. ALL future regulation of e-cigs remains to be proposed, warred over (and that can include further litigation, even, if the proposals are unnecessarily harsh or rigid), and then ultimately enacted.

Last edited:

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
The news story was authored by the news service, Associated Press, and is appearing around the country pretty much word for word. I love the last paragraph, which hopefully from now on will be included whenever some future news story talks about FDA testing, carcinogens, and toxins.

The FDA also had said that its tests found the liquid in some electronic cigarettes contained toxic substances -- besides nicotine, which is itself toxic in large doses -- as well as carcinogens that occur naturally in tobacco. Most e-cigarettes are imported from overseas.

However, some public health experts say the level of those carcinogens was comparable to those found in nicotine replacement therapy, because the nicotine in all of the products is extracted from tobacco.

Maxwell_Edison

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Ohio
beatlesnumber9.com
Not so fast Cash. From the email I recieved from the FDA, now also posted on its website:

"The Agency intends to propose a regulation that would extend the Agency’s “tobacco product” authorities in Chapter IX of the FD&C Act, which currently only apply to certain specifically enumerated “tobacco products,” to other categories of tobacco products that meet the statutory definition of “tobacco product” in Section 201(rr) of the Act. The additional tobacco product categories would be subject to general controls, such as registration, product listing, ingredient listing, good manufacturing practice requirements, user fees for certain products, and the adulteration and misbranding provisions, as well as to the premarket review requirements for “new tobacco products” and “modified risk tobacco products.”"

See, Regulation of E-Cigarettes and Other Tobacco Products

The key words are the "Agency intends to propose a regulation ... ."

As Bill G. has been posting repeatedly, first the FDA has to propose its new regulations over e-cigs, then there is a public comment period, and only after the whole administrative process is undertaken do the regulations become officially in effect. This can take up to two years, during which time we must all be vigilant and active in the battle to ensure that any actually officialized regulations are reasonable and science-based. And we must start to prepare, now, whatever evidence will be needed in that battle, starting with a very careful reading of the full announcement I linked to above, and then paying equally close attention to other "guidance" documents the FDA issues as it proceeds.

Yes, we have a lot of other battles to wage, but this concession to the court ruling in favor of Njoy is still a HUGE win for now!

And a PS: this does NOT mean automatic PACT Act inclusion. That would ONLY happen with an amendment of the PACT ACT itself. Nor does it mean an automatic flavor ban, as that specifically only applies to cigarettes. ALL future regulation of e-cigs remains to be proposed, warred over (and that can include further litigation, even, if the proposals are unnecessarily harsh or rigid), and then ultimately enacted.

Thank you yvilla. This is a victory indeed, and any regulations seem like would still be a few years away, so whatever ends up happening, a ban is now out of the question. (anyone of us can flavor e-juice, taxes worry me, but that's a big If and probably several years away.

I LOVE the last sentence too!!! And likely what happens in US will happen in Canada, hope hope hope.

CaSHMeRe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 12, 2008
USA
One way to look at it is: If they do stop the flavored liquids and just limit them to regular and menthol tobacco flavors, then all we would have to do is buy our tobacco juice and mix our own flavors. Not something I realy want to do, but if it comes to that then so be it.

what happens if they regulate ecigs to only be sold with "Filled Cartridges" ???

i'm very interested to see what or how they might regulate eLiquid.

Who_Wants_To_Know

ECF Veteran
Mar 15, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I would agree that this is a win. However we can't let this fool us. We still have a long road ahead. The smartest strategy is to use the time to gather up our defense and continue spreading the word about what vaping is. There are a lot of good people working on this and more joining everyday. This win is proof that if enough truth is spread the lies can't hold up.

This is good news, for now enjoy it.

sjrily

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2010
NW Arkansas
This concerns me:

Section 201(rr)(4) of the Tobacco Control Act prohibits the marketing of “tobacco products” in combination with other FDA-regulated products. As mentioned, FDA has already issued a draft guidance on this provision, which it intends to finalize.

Guidance written in Sept 2009 states:

A tobacco product and a non-tobacco product regulated under the FDCA are physically, chemically, or otherwise combined or mixed to produce a single entity that is marketed as containing both products. For example:
    • Mouthwash (which may be a drug or a cosmetic under the FDCA) is added to the ingredients of a cigarette and the cigarette is identified as containing mouthwash.
    • Compressed or powdered tobacco is added to candy or gum (which are foods under the FDCA) and the candy or gum is identified as containing a tobacco product.
    • Nicotine that is derived from tobacco is added to water, juice, or soda (which are foods under the FDCA) and the water, juice, or soda is identified as containing a tobacco product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread