Not open for further replies.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
As far as upgrading...
For me, I didn't think about upgrading until the setup I was using at the time (Joye -eGo-T and their tank cartridges) didn't seem "satisfying" enough for me. I didn't want to go back to anaolags, so I "moved up" to Vision Spinners and ViVi Nova tanks. About a year after that, I moved up to VAMO's and a Nautilus tank. I tried a few mechs (still like them, and have one or two in my "backup" stash). For the past year, my mod of choice has been the IPV4s, and the Arctic V8 tank.
I've also been able to step down regarding the nic level in my juice. I started at 36mg, but that became too strong for after a few months. I went down to 24mg, then 18, then 12. I'm currently at 6mgs, after vaping for 4 years. I'm hoping to get to 3mg at the end of the year...

Yeah, I remember those old days........I noticed your start date and remembered all the changes this industry has gone through and where it is now... Would not trade my journey for anything as I've been smoke-free 5 and a half years. But those early days were rough sometimes when we were all just learning and getting better. Hopefully, those members starting now won't have to go through so many devices and toppers to get what they are looking for. But, then again, that's half the fun. LOL

I just recently lowered my nic to 3mg from 12mg due to the higher voltage devices. Haven't had any problems what so ever. Well, maybe 1. The 100mg/1000ml bottles in my freezer will now last me 3-4 times longer...oh-vey.

:)

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Its a little pricey here compared to other countries even when factoring in taxes and currency exchange. And from a wide range of stores that I have looked at, just don't really have much to choose from.

Thank you for that information by the way. Highly appreciated

I am on forums for a variety of reasons, not least my own education.

But what upsets me more than most issues is deliberate and aggressive over-charging which is absolutely the case in countries where rules are strict.

US/UK franchise companies abusing the domestic situations (Australia in particular) to make larger profits. They expect us to buy from them at home (with accompanying facebook and 'fake review site' marketing) and then to not spread the word around the globe about their pricing behaviour. I find it sickening. Vaping is about better health and wealth but the very people who 'appoint' themselves as the so-called influential people in vaping are in fact frauds and crooks. This explains how a $30 e-cig (retail, not wholesale) can become $130 in the USA. This also explains how low technology kit can become the equivalent of $100 (US) in certain countries when it leaves the factory for $5.
Then we have liquid for $25 in Australia which I can buy in the UK for $8.

Profit is OK, making money is business, but pretending you are selling stuff at a fair price when the entire community knows your game is kind of unbelievable when you consider how small the world has become with the internet.

Today, I found a starter kit on sale in NZ for $119.99. That same kit, I purchased last week for £19.00 That's $38.00 NZ.

If these sorts of profits were being chased in any other industry, nobody would be selling, but because it's e-cigs, it's acceptable?

I think you will get my point. Never trust review sites... almost none of them are genuine. Double-check the price every time.

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
Started vaping/quit smoking in 2010. Had 3 cigilikes in that era. Discover ECF in 2013. Learned plenty, maybe too much.

The more you know the more you spend.
I now have 40 mods & far more toppers. Beware of shineyitus, more dangerous than the dreaded dry hit.

On my way to the mods subforum..

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
So, I started almost a week ago and I am vaping more than I smoked. A lot more.

I've stopped smoking since I started vaping. I could smoke a pack of 20 cigarettes within 24 hours.

Im only using a simple vape pen setup with an ego battery and using juice with 24mg nicotine. Im wondering whether I should upgrade my setup or increase the nicotine in the juice.

Thing is, Im happy with the amount of vapour Im getting from the setup im using but after a bit of reading I guess it also comes down to the pg/vg level? At the moment Im at 70/30. The amount of vapour I get from the setup is roughly the same I would do from a cigarette. I was never really one to take long drags. Im going through maybe 2.2-2.6 ml a day. I read somewhere that you get in more nicotine if you keep the vape in your mouth but I just can't. As soon as it hits my lips, the vapour is inhaled.

One thing that has hit my mind is that maybe its just because its there nonstop that Im doing it this much. I don't have to worry about saving it like I did with cigarettes. Im vaping inside while on devices and watching tv so don't have to worry about getting up to go outside.

Honestly, I don't know as Im a beginner but would be nice to get some advice. I don't want to upgrade so soon (Im already thinking of getting a better setup even though Im happy with this one) or up my nicotine if Im just going to vape just as much.
Totally normal and that's not too much juice. 24 mg Nic on a pen device you're going to be vaping more than you smoked to get the same blood level nicotine. I used 24 and 36 mg Nic on those when I first quit, only 1 or 2 ml a day. On my triton mini and kabuki clone I use 18 and 24mg at 3 ml a day.

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
and I keep my last pack in my car - to remind me every day!

That's reminds me, one of my buddies I got to start vaping, keeps his "last pack" in a drawer in the "hangout" room. Every year on his "vapeversary"(how ever that is spelled lol) he lights one up as an incense stick and leaves it in an ashtray to let the room stink up, as a reminder of why you should never smoke, the smell is horrid :(

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
and I keep my last pack in my car - to remind me every day!

That's reminds me, one of my buddies I got to start vaping, keeps his "last pack" in a drawer in the "hangout" room. Every year on his "vapeversary"(how ever that is spelled lol) he lights one up as an incense stick and leaves it in an ashtray to let the room stink up, as a reminder of why you should never smoke, the smell is horrid :(

Reactions: Izan

defdock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2011
Dark Forest
It's my stupid phone :/ it's happened 3 times now in the last 24h.

As far as OP, I wouldn't even worry. When I started, I was vaping 4-8mls of 18mg juice daily when using the protank/evod tanks. Then upgrading to an istick and erl mini I started vaping alot more, like 5-12mls of 12mg. That was 1-2 years back, since then I've dropped down to 2-4mls a day of 3mg and using more suited gear to the vape style/liking of my choice.

The best part of vaping, is the fact of all the variables you can change to suit/achieve what exactly you want out of your vaping experiance.

If it's working for you, great. Don't be scared :)

Reactions: jdrewry

Munk

Mar 16, 2016
This is my new rule of thumb. Cigarettes have anywhere between 8mg and 20mg of nicotine in them (avg 12mg). That being considered, I figure that a pack of normal cigarettes would contain somewhere in the neighborhood of 240mg of nicotine. If you're vaping 24mg liquid, then you can theoretically go through 10mls a day (for a total of 240mg of nicotine) and be on par with where you were when your were smoking a pack a day. At least that's what makes sense to me.

Don't go off of the number of puffs, it can be misleading. If you're using a high-powered mod that cranks out large quantities of vapor, then you will get far fewer puffs out of 10ml of 24mg juice as compared to a pen vape. Plus the act of refilling a 1ml tank 10 times a day is going to seem like "more" than filling a 5ml tank 2 times a day, even though both equal the same amount of juice.

aznnp77

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2014
Virginia
In the beginning, I wouldn't worry too much about how much you're vaping. I vaped endlessly when I started to take the edge off. It was only tough for the first day or two. Then I realized that the nicotine from the devices was good enough to substitute for smoking and I went 5 months without smoking a single cigarette.

Nowadays, I don't try to restrict myself as much. I'll probably smoke like 3-4 a month when I'm drinking or 1 on a tough day. The true test was when I went to vegas for a bachelor party and smoked a pack a day for 4 days straight. That following Tuesday I said this will be my last one, and it was relatively easy to get back into the usual routine the next day.

Anyways, 18mg isn't too bad for a beginner. I've started with 12mg and kept it since I started about 2 years ago. I've tried dropping down to 6, but the drop in throat hit was tough, and it was the only time I ever really craved cigarettes when I went down.

I vape on a Kayfun Lite with a tight draw at low wattage, so I only through about 3-4ML a day. It's basically a rebuildable clearomizer with better flavor. It's not a subohm tank that gives you tons of vapor.

With subohm tanks, they burn through juice and give you huge vapor. When I tried one for a short period of time, the usual 12mg juice gave me a headache. My friend's 12mg was harsh as crap in his subohm tank, and he dropped down to 6.

So don't feel bad about the higher nicotine level than most of here. As soon as you go subohm, if you ever do, you'll be able to cut that nicotine in half, at the very least.

For now, I wouldn't worry at all about nicotine level, how much you're vaping, and how often. Just staying away from the sticks alone is hard enough.

Also, don't feel the pressure to switch devices if what you're using works for you. I've wasted a lot of money on new subohm tanks, but I can never duplicate the throat hit or the flavor of my kayfun lite. Plus it saves me money on juice as well. So what works for you is the best equipment for you, even if it's not the newest stuff or stuff people are using.

The crappy thing is that most of the new tanks use Aspire type coils that aren't easy to rebuild. When I started with a protank, I started rebuilding those which was so easy that I barely had to buy coils again. Going through 3-4 coils a week would have been a little costly due to my flavors.

Spencer87

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2014
Jakarta- Indonesia
I see you have lots of replies, but I am also going to Chime in

K, so how do you figure you are vaping more than you are smoking? In MLs? Most of what the ML is is a lie. The people at the vape shop may tell you that...2 mls is equal to a pack of cigs, but that is not true... Otherwise yesterday I vaped a 2.5 packs of cigarettes in about 1 hour.
Different things such as power, ohms, Etc, effect how quickly the vapor is burned up.
On top of that how much you vape.
Now if you vape every few seconds, then maybe you could say you vape more than you smoke. But all the evidence says that Vaping is WAY WAY less harmful than cigarettes. so no worries.
For me, Ill vape a few puffs every few minutes for an hour. And then Ill put it down for a couple hours and forget about it. mind I also have set times i like to Vape. When at work... I vape at 8 AM before work, 10 AM, and 1 PM.

Anyways. 2.5 MLS is not alot.
Nor is 5 ml.
10 ML in a day is a little excessive, but if you vaping at 0.2 ohms, with a TFV4 coil I could understand.
I gotta be around 5-10 mls a day

hellivioze

Apr 11, 2016
New Zealand
As far as upgrading...
For me, I didn't think about upgrading until the setup I was using at the time (Joye -eGo-T and their tank cartridges) didn't seem "satisfying" enough for me. I didn't want to go back to anaolags, so I "moved up" to Vision Spinners and ViVi Nova tanks. About a year after that, I moved up to VAMO's and a Nautilus tank. I tried a few mechs (still like them, and have one or two in my "backup" stash). For the past year, my mod of choice has been the IPV4s, and the Arctic V8 tank.
I've also been able to step down regarding the nic level in my juice. I started at 36mg, but that became too strong for after a few months. I went down to 24mg, then 18, then 12. I'm currently at 6mgs, after vaping for 4 years. I'm hoping to get to 3mg at the end of the year...

Thank you for this. Gives me a few more products to put on my list of what to look into.

hellivioze

Apr 11, 2016
New Zealand
I am on forums for a variety of reasons, not least my own education.

But what upsets me more than most issues is deliberate and aggressive over-charging which is absolutely the case in countries where rules are strict.

US/UK franchise companies abusing the domestic situations (Australia in particular) to make larger profits. They expect us to buy from them at home (with accompanying facebook and 'fake review site' marketing) and then to not spread the word around the globe about their pricing behaviour. I find it sickening. Vaping is about better health and wealth but the very people who 'appoint' themselves as the so-called influential people in vaping are in fact frauds and crooks. This explains how a $30 e-cig (retail, not wholesale) can become $130 in the USA. This also explains how low technology kit can become the equivalent of $100 (US) in certain countries when it leaves the factory for $5.
Then we have liquid for $25 in Australia which I can buy in the UK for $8.

Profit is OK, making money is business, but pretending you are selling stuff at a fair price when the entire community knows your game is kind of unbelievable when you consider how small the world has become with the internet.

Today, I found a starter kit on sale in NZ for $119.99. That same kit, I purchased last week for £19.00 That's $38.00 NZ.

If these sorts of profits were being chased in any other industry, nobody would be selling, but because it's e-cigs, it's acceptable?

I think you will get my point. Never trust review sites... almost none of them are genuine. Double-check the price every time.

All of my orders are coming from other countries due to me buying online and this isn't the only area that I do it with. A big thing for me about turning to vaping over smoking is the whle cost saving as well as This will be cheaper for me but only if I buy from overseas (And even then I have to find sites with good shipping costs). I know people say the whole "support local business" but when that business is charging double of what I can get it for online, then of course my business is going to go online. I don't mind waiting if it means I can get it cheaper. I couldn't event find what I have now in stores at all.

Reactions: djsvapour

hellivioze

Apr 11, 2016
New Zealand
I see you have lots of replies, but I am also going to Chime in

K, so how do you figure you are vaping more than you are smoking? In MLs? Most of what the ML is is a lie. The people at the vape shop may tell you that...2 mls is equal to a pack of cigs, but that is not true... Otherwise yesterday I vaped a 2.5 packs of cigarettes in about 1 hour.
Different things such as power, ohms, Etc, effect how quickly the vapor is burned up.
On top of that how much you vape.
Now if you vape every few seconds, then maybe you could say you vape more than you smoke. But all the evidence says that Vaping is WAY WAY less harmful than cigarettes. so no worries.
For me, Ill vape a few puffs every few minutes for an hour. And then Ill put it down for a couple hours and forget about it. mind I also have set times i like to Vape. When at work... I vape at 8 AM before work, 10 AM, and 1 PM.

Anyways. 2.5 MLS is not alot.
Nor is 5 ml.
10 ML in a day is a little excessive, but if you vaping at 0.2 ohms, with a TFV4 coil I could understand.
I gotta be around 5-10 mls a day

I think it was more of the fact that I always have it going towards my lips but looking at other posts on here to see that it is normal for beginners is very reassuring

Munk

Mar 16, 2016
I think it was more of the fact that I always have it going towards my lips but looking at other posts on here to see that it is normal for beginners is very reassuring

I'm a pretty new vaper as well, and find I'm constantly vaping. And I mean like all time (maybe every 10 minutes when not at work, and every hour or so at while at work). But I usually only take a couple of puffs at a time, not a full blown vape session.

I'm not sure if it's too much or what, but honestly it sort of concerns me. I mostly use a 808 vape pen, but now have a mod box so well see how that changes things. Using the vape pen, I probably go through a 0.7ml clearomizer every 2 hours on the weekends (maybe 5ml a day total) and probably half of that on work days (3mls ?). I'm currently vaping 18mg juice.

I try not to beat myself up for it because I know it's healthier than smoking, and that it's a means to a very important end. I'll reduce nic content over time but sort of doubt I'll reduce how often I vape, at least until I start breaking free of the nicotine addiction. It's just so convenient...too convenient, it's really making my addiction quite impatient. :unsure:

PepsiMaGs

Mar 8, 2016
Denmark
I think I vape more than I smoked, too - simply because it's more convenient now that I don't have to go outside to smoke.
BUT on the other hand I also have experienced that now I CAN go 2-3 hours without a vape, eg when in shopping malls. I think it's because the mere thought of not being able to smoke for a couple of hours could make me cranky and irritable, and would make me wish to get out of there as soon as possible; in other words, the mere thought of getting to my next cigarette overshadowed everything else. Just like eg. when you go to a meeting and the first and most important thought you have is "when is the next break so I can get my next cigarette" - and when 45-60 minutes have passed all you can think of is the darn cigarette break, not what's discussed in the meeting.
Now I do not feel that irritability (nor does my family) because I know that if push comes to shove I could after all go to a public restroom and stealth vape if I really had to. And when visiting friends I usually am allowed to vape indoors, so even that can make me vape less because Iøm not "on the clock", so to speak, as I was with cigarettes.

And the amount you vape? Phew, 2.5-3 ml/day is noooothing! :) The people mentioning that they vape 10-20ml/day are probably subohmers, but you use above-ohm and that makes a big difference regarding the juice consumption.
I vape both ways and I go through my sub ohm tank at least twice as fast as I do with my above-ohm tank. When I did not sub ohm I vaped around 4-5 ml/day.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
When I first started vaping, I bought two Ego C-twists and two Kanger PT2s. I vaped 24 mg e-liquid, and went through about 4 ml a day. I'd been smoking about a pack and a half for thirty years prior to that.

When I first switched, I pretty much had a white-knuckled death grip on my setup every waking minute. Although I didn't often chain vape, there were times that I did. And for the first year or so, I even slept with my vape next to me on the bed!

It got better over time. I'm now vaping 0-6 mg e-liquid, and although my consumption varies widely depending on what I'm vaping on, I'm at peace with it. I'm not smoking.

I really don't have a goal of getting to zero nic over time, but if it happens, it happens. Right now, I still need a little nicotine during the day, and the only times that I vape @ zero is when I'm vaping something at higher power levels.

Relax, enjoy the vape, and be proud of the cigarettes you're not smoking!

Reactions: hellivioze
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread