Fell In Love With a Dripper Then My Mod Crapped Out. Need Recommendations!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SZBeauty

Sep 12, 2017
The functional maximum of a single battery mod is in the 30w range regardless of its claimed wattage. You seem to be on the edge of that so a two battery mod will likely work better for you because it is more flexible. I was trying to explain the whole wattage inflation thing going on in the industry at the moment. If you ACTUALLY want to vape at 100+ watts you need a 3 battery mod. This is unlikely though.

Dual battery it is — this really helps to narrow down my options a bit, thank you!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't own a predator, so I can't comment other than to say this seems to be a love it or hate it situation and it's going to be hard to tell. My first mod was an IPV-3 and I don't think there are a ton of users on here using that brand, but I liked its workhorse capabilities. I was dropping that thing constantly, but it was like the energizer bunny. I just got sent (LOL, didn't even know it was coming) an IPV-5 in PINK (yay, for me at least) new in box so I'm looking forward to see how it compares to the IPV-3 for reliability but it is a beautiful mod, unlike my IPV-3, I'm thinking it looks equally durable, but I will be trying not to drop this one! I fell in love with the Steampunk Nano 120, it's the favorite vape I've tried, but it may not have quite the power you might want, and it's finicky in some areas, unlike the Predator. I imagine others will come along with recommendations. Some brands seem to be more reliable than others, and above all that's what I look for in a mod. I know, even with the best intentions, I will drop it. I will tip it over. I've been lucky with my equipment so far and have had very few failures, but I do put RELIABLE at the top of my list, as I know I'm hard on mods. So I personally might stay away from the predator, but I don't really have a recommendation to "match it", though I'm sure others will....

I'm not a fan of Kangertech products though some swear by them. The ones I have owned always felt flimsy to me, and like they would die at any second. Paint chips were not unusual, in fact they were expected. I haven't bought one in a long time, my son bought a two battery mod from them a bit ago though, and he had the same problems-- battery door falling off, paint flaking everywhere, flimsy build.... They're a brand *I* wouldn't choose first though others absolutely swear by them. My experience was not like that....

Anna

SZBeauty

Sep 12, 2017
I'm not a fan of Kangertech products though some swear by them. The ones I have owned always felt flimsy to me, and like they would die at any second. Paint chips were not unusual, in fact they were expected. I haven't bought one in a long time, my son bought a two battery mod from them a bit ago though, and he had the same problems-- battery door falling off, paint flaking everywhere, flimsy build.... They're a brand *I* wouldn't choose first though others absolutely swear by them. My experience was not like that....
I really appreciate how careful you are with critiquing devices. What have you heard about Smoant Charon 218?
also, can any tank go with any mod or is there somewhere I go to check compatibility?

Reactions: stols001

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Smoant Charon is an excellent choice. Rugged, good looking and a lot of users here.

If you want good looks and rugged construction, the Geek Vape Aegis is built like a tank.

Edit: Any 510 threaded tank will work with the models you're considering. But be warned that only a dripping atomizer will deliver a dripper's flavor.

Last edited:

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
The Wismec predator 228 is BEAUTIFUL and probably right up the alley of what I am looking for. I did watch some youtube videos and saw an overwhelming number of bad experiences in the comments from users who owned one, though. So, I am a bit hesitant to pull the trigger on that one just yet. What else is up there with the Wismec — beautiful design, dual battery, powerful, & with a lot of thought put into the design?

I've had my predator for at least 2 weeks now and had absolutely no issues whatsoever, these "issues" in videos you've seen are old and wismec since then have suposedly fixed those. the only quirk or nitpick i can go with is the fact the fire bar on the mod is a bit stiff and just at the top would've loved if it was a bit larger but meh, dosen't affect performance in any way. Although if you really want something else unfortunately i don't really know where to direct ya since i don't own anything else than my nx75 and predator. The pico kit is very popular amongs beginners though. May not be the best looking but functions well and is very reliable (ofc that's only what i keep hearing from this forum)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't know a huge amount about the Smoant Charion, I don't own that mod or any mod in its family. I've heard good things, and CC confirms it. :) Good to know QcVaper, that the Predator issues have been fixed...

I'd say narrow it down to a few and just go with the one that "speaks" to you, as it were, keeping in mind that you'll have a warranty period. I mean, most mods with real QC issues present them fairly rapidly, for the most part, so it's more a matter of what your preferences are, though some have more of a reputation of longevity than others, obviously, but... I don't think any of the above listed are "bad" mods, it's just a matter of figuring out the one that most appeals to you, past a certain point, I think. I'm not a supreme mod collector, at least not yet, :D so my feedback is somewhat limited...

Anna

Anna

Reactions: QcVaper

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
@stols001 To be fair my predator ended up never having any issues lolz (i believe you're reffering to my latest thread in the general section) my real issue was with my smok rba and resolved quite easily fortunately,but that's also why i don't recommend smok products to anyone but veterans, too many issues with their tanks (no idea how good the mods are though) it's a very fun thing to have and vapes nicely but once i get my hands on a real rta i probably won't go back ahah :lol:

Reactions: stols001

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I have Charon tc & very happy with performance. Take a look at Asvape Cobra tank. Recently purchased this tank and enjoying the flavor. I'm a flavor chaser. Coil life is good, also mid watt range so juice consumption acceptable. Attractive set up when paired.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
also, can any tank go with any mod or is there somewhere I go to check compatibility?
Welcome and glad you joined.
"can any tank go with any mod " No.
"s there somewhere I go to check compatibility" No.
If a tank has a male 510 thread, chances are it will fit a Charon's female 510 thread.
Might like to read:
http://www.vaporauthority.com/pages/learn
http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/a...tte-college-guides-tutorials-information.html
Beginner – Guide To Vaping
http://vapingcheap.com/vaping-101/
(10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
(1) Proper Terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments. | E-Cigarette Forum

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
No may be while not wrong, a bit strong. I'd say 95% of the stuff out there is 510 these days, and most of the remaining stuff is ego which is mostly 510 compatible.

The link list is really excellent but may be a bit overwhelming
Trying to paste in a pic of the two connectors but am stymied by iPhone stupidity. If you google "ego vs 510 connector " images all should be explained though.

SZBeauty

Sep 12, 2017
Hey everyone! So I was happy to at least walk into the vape shops and have some idea of what I was talking about. Thank you SO MUCH for that! Without the help on this forum, I'm sure I would have left with an underwhelming setup. In person, the Wismec felt way too fragile for me. And they kept suggesting Smok (I told them you guys said stay away), but I took a look for the sake of it and I didn't like the body of those either. Seemed too gimmicky for my liking.

I went with the Ijoy captain PD 270 & crown III tank. It's a bit heavy, but an all around solid device. It had all the features you guys recommended to me, plus came with 20700 batteries included and 18650 adapter.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
The first few times you charge your batteries, you should baby sit them while they're on the charger. It's a common belief that most battery malfunctions occur while charging. Once new batteries have safely charged and discharged a few times, they can usually be trusted to do what they were designed to do.

Make sure you get high drain batteries made by LG, Samsung, Sanyo/Panasonic or Sony. Don't skimp on batteries.

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
Hey everyone! So I was happy to at least walk into the vape shops and have some idea of what I was talking about. Thank you SO MUCH for that! Without the help on this forum, I'm sure I would have left with an underwhelming setup. In person, the Wismec felt way too fragile for me. And they kept suggesting Smok (I told them you guys said stay away), but I took a look for the sake of it and I didn't like the body of those either. Seemed too gimmicky for my liking.

I went with the Ijoy captain PD 270 & crown III tank. It's a bit heavy, but an all around solid device. It had all the features you guys recommended to me, plus came with 20700 batteries included and 18650 adapter.

You are quite welcome ;)
Signed : everyone from ecf :p
You should have tons of fun with those 2 for sure i myself almost bought it but i prefer a smaller mod which is why i got the predator :p it looks fragile without batteries but i love the heft with them in (ofc opinions vary and that's the joy of vaping imho)

For charging batteries most of us suggest using an external charger, i use one made by nitecore which stops charging whenever my batteries are full (though i don't charge while sleeping because of those flashing leds :lol:)

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Glad you found gear that works for you. Enjoy!

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
I bought an efest external charger. Can I leave the batteries in overnight?
Can't say i only have 1 external and i'd highly advise never to leave batteries charging unattended, i'd suggest checking them whenever you first charge them and see by yourself if the charger does or not indeed turn off.
We aren't responsible though if something blows up so i'll say it again : not recommended to leave batteries charging unattended ! I've charged mine multiple times and even though i trust my charger i don't trust any batteries. Then again i don't even let my phone on the charger overnight these days :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread