Figured out a way to refill Blu Plus tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeycig

Dec 13, 2014
FL
I'm not able to reply in the big thread about Blu Plus because this is my first post so I thought I'd share here. I figured out a way to refill the Blu Plus tanks. It's pretty straightforward. I try to hit every gory detail below so it may sound complicated but... it's just a little wordy.

I start by taking a sharp knife and making a slit down the side of the tank through the black covering. You can then peel off the black "tape", revealing the metal tank. Then take a nail or a tap and tap a small dent about in the middle of the SIDE of the tank. Securing the tank to the edge of a 2x4 or other board with tape (tightly) helps with the tapping and drilling (next). After that I use a 1/8" drill bit in my Dremel and run it at medium speed (still pretty fast for a drill bit) and slowly drill a 1/8" hole in the side of the tank: the dent you make will hold the bit in place as you drill. If you go slow with the hole pointing horizontally (not up), you can drill the 1/8" hole without hitting the inner metal "straw" that is inside the tank. You now have a "naked" tank with a 1/8" hole in the middle of the side.

Once the hole is drilled, I take it inside and wash the tank out with hot water in a filling syringe, squirting the hot water down into the hole and out: washing out any metal particles that might have gotten in (never found any in the 2 tanks I've done, but just to be sure). After that, I blow air through the hole with my spray air duster (straw attached) with the hole facing down and even through the back draw hole to be sure it's relatively dry.

Refill through the hole (tank laying horizontal: hole facing up) with my e-juice until e-juice starts to run out and then wipe off the excess. Then I cut a section of 3/8" heat shrink tubing that is about 1/16" longer than the tank and let the excess stick over the back side (where you draw). Once you shrink that with your lighter or torch, the heat shrink tubing seals the hole and curls over the mouthpiece perfectly. Looks nice. And it works. It sounds complicated but it's really not. Takes about 10 minutes to refill the first time and then after that, only a few minutes to peel off the heat shrink tubing (easy), refill, and put on another piece of tubing and shrink it. How many times can you refill it, I don't know, but I suspect as many times as you can something like a mini protank before you need to replace the coil or wick (read on).

Now, I do have two issues that I'm hoping to get feedback on here. First, I seem to only get about 200 puffs after a VG juice refill before it starts tasting burnt. Tastes kinda like when the rubber gasket in an atomizer burns a bit. I think the VG juice might be too thick for this setup? Maybe I should try 50/50? Hoping someone else will try this method and we can refine it.

The only other negative is that the heat shrink tubing, while it makes the tank look brand new, is a little thicker than the original covering, so the refilled tank won't fit back into your Blu case. Not a big deal for me.

Now, a note or two on what I found actually tearing apart these Blu Plus tanks. I completely disassembled (by basically tearing it apart with vice grips) one tank to see what I was dealing with. I have several hundred dollars worth of protanks, protank 2, mini protanks, Egos, iTaste, etc. and I was rewrapping my coils on a regular basis before I tried Blu Plus. I can tell you after ripping these tanks apart that they ARE in fact REAL tanks! They appear to be constructed exactly like a mini protank... just much smaller: probably why I get as much vapor out of these as I do my expensive setups. There is no gauze or filler whatsoever. On the threaded side, it has basically an identical setup to a protank: what appears to be silica wick with a coil wrapped around it. The wick is fed in a similar manner as a protank: the two ends of the wick stick out into the sides where the juice is and soaks up juice from the tank. The only thing I saw by my deconstruction that I didn't "like" was that the part where the coil wires go to the threaded aperture appears to be a rubber gasket (like a protank coil) on one side but the other side looks (under high magnification) like it might be some sort of epoxy. I guess as long as it doesn't get "burnt" and go into your lungs, that's OK.

Hoping to get some dialog going so we can refine this refilling process.

Mike

Last edited:

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
Hello and welcome to the forum Mike. Glad to have you here!:)

Once you have 5 posts (not 5 threads) and wait until the server updates at :25 past the hour you will be able to post elsewhere.

Respond right here in this thread and/or go out and welcome some other new members and you will have your 5 posts!:)

mikeycig

Dec 13, 2014
FL
Oh man I really like this, are you re-filling with tobacco flavors or others? I've been looking for a cig like replacement that I could re-fill with my favorite flavors and this would be perfect.

Thanks,
Chase

I've refilled two with Blackberry Champagne VG juice that I was using in my protanks. But I do need to try some 50/50 or some PG juice. It works perfectly for 100-200 puffs: flavor is great. Then it starts tasting like burnt rubber (and I know there's still juice inside). So I'm working on the mixture a bit. I think with it being a tighter fit in those tanks, 100% VG might not work.

Mike

mikeycig

Dec 13, 2014
FL
Glad to hear someone tried it I had the same idea but haven't gotten my hands on any of them yet to test. How is the mouthpiece held in place on these new tanks?

The tank itself screws onto the battery like most cig-alikes, and the mouthpiece where you draw is just a plastic cap with a hole in it. It looks like you could pop it out with a paper clip but it seems to be glued in so I haven't tried forcing it out. Wouldn't do any good anyway because it can't be refilled from the mouthpiece end.

Mike

mikeycig

Dec 13, 2014
FL
So how do you think they factory filled these?

I can only guess but by tearing it apart, it looks like they fill it and then press on the threaded end. If you want to rip it apart, you can wiggle out the threaded side with vice grips but it's pressed in there pretty good and when you do, it tears apart the atomizer. I'm sure they have a machine that presses in the pieces: probably atomizer/coil, and then the threaded piece.

On a positive note, I just pulled off the heat shrink tubing on my last refill, filled it with my Dura-Dew VG liquid, and that one is vaping perfectly so far. No burnt taste.

Mike

luke213

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2014
Up
That's sort of my theory. I'm not in support of blu but I want the best cigalike since I think it will help people quit smoking and it's convenient. I've got plenty of big devices but none are as easy to carry as a blu pack. My own thoughts are if it's easy enough to refill it could become my out and about solution. That said it has to be cheap enough or I'll deal with the inconvenience of carrying something like the mech with a kayfun that I typically use for out and about.

mikeycig

Dec 13, 2014
FL
Do you by chance have some pictures of the one you tore apart?

Here are a couple shots showing the hole I drilled and the torn apart end where the threaded piece presses in. Sorry but I don't have the other little bits I tore out as they made their way to the bottom of the trash can but the only thing you don't see is the pressed in threaded piece which consists of this... Where the end is torn apart, there is the threaded piece which, on the inside, has the two wires going to the coil wrapped around a 3/16" piece of silica wick. Then a plastic collar with notches on two sides (for the ends of the wick to stick through). And then what you see in the picture: metal stem going the length of the tank and the liquid is on the outside of the stem just like a protank. Other than that pressed in end coil, there is no filler whatsoever in the tank as you can see.

In concept, it's pretty much the same as something like an Evod coil jammed in that end, with the center stem going the length of the tank. And the last time I filled it with my syringe, I noticed that I got about 1.5 to 2ml of liquid in. Not a lot, but it does seem to last a while.

I don't like the idea of supporting big tobacco nor do I like the price gouging on the tanks, but these work so well that I decided the only way I'd use them long term is if I could find a way to get around the $5 per tank cost. Jury is still out on that but these refills are vaping pretty good with that DuraSmoke liquid I put in there last time. The cigalikes are just a lot more satisfying for me to vape than the huge metal dildos. :) I like to vape while driving and these are just so easy to hold. And I can just put it on top of my ear if I need both hands free. Don't even need to use a pocket.

Mike

Attachments

• 20141214_111241.jpg
    20141214_111241.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 988
  • 20141214_111233.jpg
    20141214_111233.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 905

mikeycig

Dec 13, 2014
FL
If I remember right I tore one of this apart from the top. I can't tell you if I messed up the top cap or not. But I just wanted to take it apart to see how it was all put together..you can take that cotton out and soak it from what I remember..im just not sure if I screwed the whole thing up taking it apart!

That's probably one of the old cartomizers you took apart. Those could be refilled easily by just dripping liquid into the cotton or poly filler. These have no cotton so you have to fill the tank and reseal it. I'm getting better at it. Takes me about 5 minutes to refill an already-drilled tank and reseal it with heat shrink tubing. The last juice I used tastes great: no burnt taste and I'm already probably halfway through it. Only thing is you have to buy the original tanks to start but I feel like I can probably get about a week out of each tank (probably 5 or so refills) before I want to drill another one to keep the good taste. I've been refilling the classic tobacco ones but I'll probably get a pack of vanilla next time as those probably have less leftover taste when you decide to refill. I think the leftover tobacco taste is what I was complaining about before: stale tobacco taste and not a burnt taste. Not sure on that. The first refill was a bit "off" on taste but switching to a more powerful tasting liquid along with cleaning it a second time, and I'm not having any trouble at all on refill #2.

Mike

mikeycig

Dec 13, 2014
FL
Update: refilled my last drilled tank 3x so far and it's still going strong. Not having any problem with burnt taste anymore even using the blackberry champagne VG liquid that I like. The key seems to be: clean it out the first refill with vodka (not isopropyl or rubbing alcohol as those might be too harsh) and don't squirt out the "innards" with any pressure when cleaning it out with vodka and/or warm water. I think just rinsing it out is OK: squirting in the hole(s) with a lot of pressure might dislodge the silica wick and cause the burnt taste.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread