Finally and I bought it locally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danrogers

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2014
Campbell River, BC, Canada
Been wanting a coil master v3 for a while but just to lazy to order it on line. I was at a local vape shop getting a battery for my son whose in the hospital, while I was talking with the owner about my Reo I looked down and there it was and it was their last one...got it at a good price too. My coils are fine with the RM2 but I am just about to order the 0-16 and I want to be able to experiment with different diameters and the Gizmo just isn't up to it.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Glad you got what you wanted Dan.

My fingers are my best tensioning "coilers". ;)

The Artistic Gizmo has collected dust since I first got it a very long time ago. I don't do 1/16" coils, I don't like it at all so don't use it at all.
Have two versions of CoilMasters too. I do use the pins to hand wrap on/mount coils with sometimes, but not the coiler sleeves to wrap with. Have a bunch of other coilers I don't use/never used.

The drill rod, micro screw drivers, etc I started building with can still get it done just fine for my uses.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
The Gizmo is cool... for 1 size of coil. Unless you fabricate other sized rods for it, you won't match the versatility of the coil master.

If I'm being honest, I've prolly made 2 or 3 times as many coils with the CM as I would have with the gizmo just because of the convenience. Turn around time for a rebuild on an atty I'm familiar with is about 5 minutes, and that's being careful. Not a brag - just a testament to how fast you can crank out a coil with it. I think you're gonna love it... and the O-16.

The one piece of advice I'd have for you is to be patient with your first few tries with higher gauge wire. It's stooopid easy with 26 or 24 gauge, but a little tricker with 28 or 30. Let the wire do the positioning - don't put much pressure on the twisting head at all or you'll create a stovetop coil inadvertently.

The fact that the V3 comes with 2 sets of rods will be very helpful if you get to building duals on the O-16. It really helps to have two mandrels when positioning two coils, especially with any 2-post atty where you can't lock one coil down while you work on the second.

Where was the shop? Out in the valley or did you go to East Side?

Reactions: KentA

Robinowitz

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
No. Cal.
A new toy is always fun! I haven't tried one of the CM's. I got a Kuro Coiler some time back and it fit my needs. I do remember that it took a few times of getting bee hive looking coils but soon enough I found my groove. I'm sure you will too!

Congrats on your incoming O-16! I've been lurking on that thread and mentioned it to my beloved as a possible up-coming birthday gift (fingers and toes crossed). Please tell us about how you are liking it and how you are setting it up. Cheers!

Reactions: Danrogers

Danrogers

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2014
I made a number of very ugly ?, sure where not coils, slowed down and was successful, tried 2 different diameters and decided to use the 2mm Rod, 8 wraps, 28g kanthal, 1.26 ohms, next time 7 wraps about 1.1 ohms, my sweet spot on the RM2.

Can someone tell me what would be the benifit of using the 2.5mm rod over the 2mm? Is it I can use more cotton so I squonk less?

Edit: almost forgot, is there a way I can keep my wire on the spool without having to us that little hole on the spool? If so where do I find such a wonderful invention?
My wire is getting to many kinks!!!

Reactions: Robinowitz

ancient puffer

EX PV Collector
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 8, 2011
Virginia, USA
I made a number of very ugly ?, sure where not coils, slowed down and was successful, tried 2 different diameters and decided to use the 2mm Rod, 8 wraps, 28g kanthal, 1.26 ohms, next time 7 wraps about 1.1 ohms, my sweet spot on the RM2.

Can someone tell me what would be the benifit of using the 2.5mm rod over the 2mm? Is it I can use more cotton so I squonk less?

Edit: almost forgot, is there a way I can keep my wire on the spool without having to us that little hole on the spool? If so where do I find such a wonderful invention?

A wide rubber band works well for me to keep it in place, super easy to uncoil what you need, too.

ElConquistador

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 24, 2013
Oklahoma
I'm still using the good old Gizmo, but I keep looking at the Coil Master. I'm just too cheap to buy one. My Gizmo is all rigged up with a nylon wingnut to capture the wire and I removed the clamp thing from it and mounted it on a little piece of wood, so it fits into my rebuilding box (a re-purposed tackle box) and I don't have to mess with mounting it to the table.

Danrogers

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2014
The Gizmo is cool... for 1 size of coil. Unless you fabricate other sized rods for it, you won't match the versatility of the coil master.

If I'm being honest, I've prolly made 2 or 3 times as many coils with the CM as I would have with the gizmo just because of the convenience. Turn around time for a rebuild on an atty I'm familiar with is about 5 minutes, and that's being careful. Not a brag - just a testament to how fast you can crank out a coil with it. I think you're gonna love it... and the O-16.

The one piece of advice I'd have for you is to be patient with your first few tries with higher gauge wire. It's stooopid easy with 26 or 24 gauge, but a little tricker with 28 or 30. Let the wire do the positioning - don't put much pressure on the twisting head at all or you'll create a stovetop coil inadvertently.

The fact that the V3 comes with 2 sets of rods will be very helpful if you get to building duals on the O-16. It really helps to have two mandrels when positioning two coils, especially with any 2-post atty where you can't lock one coil down while you work on the second.

Where was the shop? Out in the valley or did you go to East Side?

It was a local shop in Pitt Meadows.

Reactions: Papa_Lazarou

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither

I build bigger diameter coils (2.5mm/3mm/3.5mm) for cotton because I use big pulled and rolled wicks that hold way more joose for less squonking with my LDLH's that use a lot of joose.

All 12 of my spools of wire are tamed by a Beadalon, a really great and inexpensive solution that I learned about from the Sloth.
Beadalon Spool Tamer

Reactions: Danrogers

JC Okie

REOnaut
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Tulsa, OK
The beadalons work well. Alternatively, you can use a wad of plasticine (or silly putty) or packing foam and just press it into the spool where the wire ends to trap it.
I snipped a Pink Pearl eraser to fit the thickness of the roll. Works perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread