RDA Finally got a mech

Status
Not open for further replies.

buildabane

Sep 11, 2014
St. Louis, MO
I picked up a Nemesis (clone) for a great price, and then a Tugboat atty. The guys at the store built me a few sets of coils for no charge, and I bought an ohm reader with some kanthol and a bunch of organic Japanese cotton. Great set-up so far. The only thing I don't like is the heat of the vape. They built me dual coils around .8 and then .5 to experiment with. I've found that I really just don't like the hot vape - I like a cool, smooth vape with lot's of flavor.

My question is - How can I achieve a relatively "cool" vape, and get a good cloud and good flavor? I puffed on my buddies mech and it was cool and smooth, and the exhale was extremely flavorful.

Does this basically mean just going with a higher ohm set up? I know a lot of this stuff is subjective, but I am just looking for a way to hit all three of my needs for the vape. I also feel like the heat of subohm dual coils over-powers the flavor and I lose flavor as a result.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I picked up a Nemesis (clone) for a great price, and then a Tugboat atty. The guys at the store built me a few sets of coils for no charge, and I bought an ohm reader with some kanthol and a bunch of organic Japanese cotton. Great set-up so far. The only thing I don't like is the heat of the vape. They built me dual coils around .8 and then .5 to experiment with. I've found that I really just don't like the hot vape - I like a cool, smooth vape with lot's of flavor.

My question is - How can I achieve a relatively "cool" vape, and get a good cloud and good flavor? I puffed on my buddies mech and it was cool and smooth, and the exhale was extremely flavorful.

Does this basically mean just going with a higher ohm set up? I know a lot of this stuff is subjective, but I am just looking for a way to hit all three of my needs for the vape. I also feel like the heat of subohm dual coils over-powers the flavor and I lose flavor as a result.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

could be to low of a resistance but it also could be the coils are not positioned correctly in the air flow. coils should be directly even to incoming flow of air, not higher, nor lower. also try positioning coil closer to air flow as well, this might be achieved to not only bring coil up wards or down wards, but in or out, or should I say front wards or back wards. its all about airflow so you also can try (if its adjustable airflow) to increase the amount of air. if all of the coil positions are already optimized, then nic content can be to high. when vaping a dripper the nic content is optimized to most who vape lets say an 18mg nic content, will usually go down to a 6mg. its hard to say what you specifically feel, but a dual coil dripper at those resistances with correct airflow and correct nic juice, imo can produce a vape you can like, if not though then you may need to increase resistance.

porkchopbun

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2013
Northern CALI, USA
Besides what vapdivrr ask you to check,
Is this the v2 or v1 Tugboat?, if it's v2, adjust the tugboat's air flow controller to a larger hole. If it's the v1...you might have to drill the holes a little bit bigger, start small, and drill to your liking.

What kind of blend is it, VG vs PG? Try higher VG versus PG in your e-juice, usually for clouds I prefer 80 VG/PG blend, some like it 100% VG.

Wraith504

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 25, 2014
New Orleans, LA
Pretty sure you will need to drill the holes out a bit larger if you are looking to sub that thing around .5 There is always a trade off. You get more vapor production and will typically lose flavor or you can get more flavor and typically lose vapor production. You need to find your sweet spot. Dont expect to blow rain makers and have the juice explode in your mouth with flavor. You are going to get one or the other. Find your happy medium.

sir_puffs_alot

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2014
Hillsborough, NJ, USA
I have a tuboat and sub way below .5 and still dont have the hot vape he's it talking about? I dont get it, are you making sure ur coils are firing correctly before putting cotton and juice in. You need to heat them and move em to get all the hotspots out, they should heat evenly from the middle out.

Also what was your usual setup before this?

buildabane

Sep 11, 2014
St. Louis, MO
I have a tuboat and sub way below .5 and still dont have the hot vape he's it talking about? I dont get it, are you making sure ur coils are firing correctly before putting cotton and juice in. You need to heat them and move em to get all the hotspots out, they should heat evenly from the middle out.

Also what was your usual setup before this?

Did all that. Made them glow, then lightly squeezed them, and etc...They glow from the inside out and at the same time.

buildabane

Sep 11, 2014
St. Louis, MO
Wrapped new coils with the help of a friend today. .5 Ohm micros and they fired beautifully together. It was a relatively cool vape, and nice and tasty. Just a bit ago, all of the sudden the vape got really hot. I can actually feel the heat in the atty. What can cause this big heat difference? Over-tightening posts? That's the only thing I have fiddled with - One post came slightly lose and a coil stopped firing. I tightened them all as a result and now they fire together again. I just don't get why the coils are now producing super hot vaper with the exact same batteries. The body of the mod and the switch are ice cold. It is just the atty and anything around it. Could chain vaping raise the temp? I'm puzzled.

sir_puffs_alot

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2014
Hillsborough, NJ, USA
yes chain vapeing raises the temp...if you dont let the atty and coils cool all the way down the atty will just get hotter and hotter, not to meantion the juice in the rda heating up. This is why alot of rda's have heat sinks on them now, or are they called heat fins? but yes chain vapeing can cause it to heat up. Take a break between puffs.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Connection issues can do this, sometimes certain posts can bend and kink the wire where it tightens, or just cant keep tight enough. Another reason could be insufficient wicking material, initially the cotton could be good but excessive power can degrade the wick causing it to loose contact with enough juice. Also coils to close to posts or main body causing the atty to heat to much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread