Finish Problems - iStick Pico Full Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squidward

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
United States
Anyone else seeing finish problems with the full black eleaf iStick Pico? Paint started flaking off the painted chrome components (top and bottom panels) within a week of receipt from HG and now, after two weeks use, it's starting to flake off the battery cap, too. I absolutely love this mod so it gets handled a lot, but when I do put it down, I just set it on a tabletop. I'm 100% certain that nothing I've done with it would have chipped the paint.

HG says they won't help me because "the manufacturer" only warrants functionality, not finish, but my previous four eleaf products performed flawlessly (function & finish) until they wore out, so this kind of issue seems out of character for eleaf.

Just wondering if anyone else is having this trouble.

20160718_141321.jpg
20160718_141406.jpg

Reactions: Foggy Road

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
It looks like they painted/finished over top of polished chrome which is a waste of time/money (no need to finish/polish the chrome if painting over it) and will cause the black top coat to not adhere as well as it could if done properly. I may just get mine re-coated properly before I ever use it.... :(

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
It looks like they painted/finished over top of polished chrome which is a waste of time/money (no need to finish/polish the chrome if painting over it) and will cause the black top coat to not adhere as well as it could if done properly. I may just get mine re-coated properly before I ever use it.... :(

It's hard to be sure from the photos of wear, but it doesn't look like it's the same chrome finish under the black paint as what is found on the standard or SS Picos. I'm sure it's the different metals used on the top and bottom end metals from the body itself. Whatever it is, it's not taking the paint well. Maybe a matte clear coat over it for a bit more protection?

It's hard to say but given the release of these specifically for the aesthetics of the design, but IMO Eleaf really needs to step up and address it, both for future versions and for current owners with premature wear.

Reactions: Squidward

Squidward

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
United States
I heard from Eleaf this morning and they definitely will not warrant the paint, nor will HG. Darned shame. I'm used to mods getting scuffed up and ugly after a few months use, but I've never seen one start to go bad after only a few days.

Not sure I'd be able to tear mine down (or get it back together if I did) so refinishing with Gun Kote probably isn't an option for me. I agree that spraying over chrome or even polished SS (whichever is under the paint on the top & bottom) is a doomed enterprise.

Looks like a sleeve is the only way I'll de-ugly this one. HG graciously offered me a 66-cent silicone sleeve as compensation.

Reactions: Eskie

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
I will be getting some sleeves to start as I am not sure if I could disassemble one or not but at least I have one here that has a broken base plate screw (found out it got dropped on the concrete) that I can tinker with before I consider dis/re assembling one that isn't already damaged.

FishingBuffalo

ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2012
Collinsville,TX
Even though Eleaf is a Joyetech subsidiary, they do not go through the extra steps of finish like Wismec or Joyetech (like adding a 3 coat UV protection on top of the 3 coats of paint) to keep cost of manufacture down, thus consumer cost down. Generally good electronics though. My RX200, Presa 75, and Cuboid 150 all have taken a beating. The Presa finally has shown signs of scratching,but the other two look as good as they perform!

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
They do take a beating. I usually grab a sleeve when purchasing.
FT also has a ton of stickers for the Pico.

Don't think the finish will stand up well on any of these things, no matter how great the coating is.
Hand oils, dirt, pockets, juice etc.
Dropping, sliding and abuse aside they still take a real beating.

Had a skin on my istick 40 since new. It is still perfect.
Three dollar insurance policy. Cheers.

Squidward

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
United States
Good to know folks, I appreciate the comments. Fozzy71, if you find that the top and bottom plates come off pretty easily, would you mink pinging me here or by PM? I'd love to pull them off and try my hand at a new finish, but I haven't had much luck disassembling my old iStick 30's and don't plan to try on the Pico unless I learn that it's a dead simple process!

Regarding sleeves, I've never been a fan, but given this issue and the quick wear I see on my other mods, I think I'm now in complete agreement with Hitmetwice and intend to sleeve this and future Picos, as well as any other of my mods that aren't already looking ratty.

Just a note... most of the Pico sleeves I've seen are solid on the bottom and block the battery vent holes. There are a few on eBay with cutouts, so I'll be trying to make sure that any sleeves I get allow for the mods' ventilation.

Sleeve.jpg

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
I sent a message to the one guy that was recommended because the pics didn't show the hole and he replied to say they do have the holes. - Silicone Sleeve for iStick PICO 75W TC eLeaf JayBo Case Skin Cover Wrap

I found some others that also appear to have the holes but look a bit thinner with less embossing/raised areas on the buttons, etc - PICO Silicone Case Sleeve for the iStick PICO 75W TC Box Mod by eLeaf

After my new/spare picos get here I will probably end up trying to tear down this one that is damaged to see if it's a broke screw or stripped out threads and try to post here to update what I find.

Squidward

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
United States

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
Just got a text that my brushed silver and blacked out versions from GB will be here Monday. I will end up giving them (and all my new mods) a test at some point to make sure none of them are DOA but not sure when, or which ones will stay in rotation after they are tested.

Squidward

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
United States
I've had my Pico for 2 weeks now. I am a diesel mechanic working for a concrete manufacturer so all the surfaces I might set my pico on are rough to say the least. I haven't seen one scratch on my all black yet. I guess I'm lucky..........so far.

Good to know. I hope my issue is a fluke and nobody else will have this problem.

Just got a text that my brushed silver and blacked out versions from GB will be here Monday. I will end up giving them (and all my new mods) a test at some point to make sure none of them are DOA but not sure when, or which ones will stay in rotation after they are tested.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. I've pretty much abandoned all my other mods and am vaping my Pico topped with a Kayfun Nano full time now. GB is selling the darned things for ~$22 now and I ordered three more... another full black, a black and silver and a brushed silver. I love these little guys!

Last edited:

Fozzy71

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2016
8 Mile + 2.5
I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine. I've pretty much abandoned all my other mods and am vaping my Pico topped with a Kayfun Nano full time now. GB is selling the darned things for ~$22 now and I ordered three more... another full black, a black and silver and a brushed silver. I love these little guys!

I have 2 in my rotation, my house mate has 1 in her rotation currently, just got 2 more this week from a state side vendor, 2 from GB on the way and one from FT on the way.... and 2 more in a cart (that number may increase) to order in a month or two.

Squidward

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 16, 2014
United States
I have a white Pico (3 days old) and the top and bottom as well as the cap don't appear to be painted. More like brushed something or other.

Right. Except for the full black, the Picos have chrome or polished stainless top and bottom plates. On the full black, those plates and the battery cap are painted black and that's the paint that's flaking off mine. I actually love the look of the other Picos, especially the regular black with the silver top & bottom, but got the full black for a stealth vape. I don't think the body paint will be an issue on any of these... at least it hasn't been with my past Eleaf mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread