Fire Meter by USA Ohm Meters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LitoBandito

Jul 23, 2015
So.. I got my Fire Meter.
Initial impressions:
Pros:
Inside fit and finish is good. The wires are well routed. The switch, button, and 510 connector are mounted well.
The soldering is CLEAN. There is no excess solder anywhere. All of the connections look SOLID but without bubbles of solder anywhere.
The thickness of the shell bodes well for the longevity of the case. The exterior of the case is a good half inch thick. The interior mounting points are pretty beefy. I have no doubt that I will be able to rebuild this meter when it fails.
The "Fire Meter" labeling is GORGEOUS. I really love the negative space label.
He is right that the magnets are not needed. The "door" fits very well to the case. However, I am glad he included magnets for when the plastic wears and the door doesn't quite friction-fit anymore.

Cons:
The 3D printing leaves something to be desired. The deposit lines are VERY prominent. In fact there were plastic "hairs" hanging off of the box. In addition, when I first opened the package, I thought there was a crack in the case on the lower left corner of the switch. It appears to be a very deep void in one of the deposit lines.
The use of what appears to be hot glue worries me. It is everywhere in the interior. I can't tell if he primarily used it to seal the switch, connector, and button or if it actually is serving in some way to mount the pieces to the case.

Quibbles:
Maybe I should have paid better attention to the pictures but it is a lot smaller than I thought. It is approx. 4"W x 3"D x 1.375"T. I won't be able to use it as a build platform, like I had hoped. It is simply too small and light.
It isn't immediately clear which way to mount the 18650 battery (or actually either of the batteries, except the coin battery was already in there.) What I mean is: which side is the positive terminal supposed to face? I looked for a + or - sign in the case, but there isn't one. I guess I could base it on the fact that USUALLY the springy end of the battery tray is the negative side. Or I could base it on the fact that the center terminal of the 510 connector is positive. But it would have been nice if both of the batteries had orientation labeled. [One other thing that would have made it easier to discern polarity is if the wiring was "properly" colored. All wiring is black. If positive was red and negative was black, polarity would have been clear to me.]

Undetermined as of yet:
Accuracy. I put an RDA and a tank on the meter. Both initially read very close to what I would have expected. But then the resistance started falling. Both the RDA and the tank were wet (had juice on the coils and wicks). I will re-test with dry coils in a day or two to see if the readings are more stable. I will also cross-reference the readings with my DMM. It is in storage with my other electrical test equipment.

I will re-post followups as I really play with it and test it out.

Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread