First 12 hours into the VV/VW world with Sigelei Zmax V5, Kanger ProTank 2, .5mm ribbon kanthal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate M.

Verified Member
Jul 18, 2013
Cape Cod, MA
Hey guys!

First off I wanna say thank you to this forum for being amazing. I and my wife have had eRoll's for about 1.5 months now, and while they are great for being out and about, I still craved analogs a bit, and all of my flavors fell into 3 groups; menthol/fruit/dessert.

I received my V5(SS) and ProTank 2 from exhalevapors yesterday, and from the time I got home from work last night until now I have not slept. I ordered them on Saturday, and they arrived Wednesday with priority mail. I also received a 50ft spool of ribbon kanthal from TemCo.. Hehe

Please note, I tinkered with our eRoll's until they were perfect to me. That was a 2mm silica wick wrapped in 1 layer of 400 SS mesh. Lol, that was a project in itself. Regardless, I have been dying to get a mod as well as a rebuildable clearo.

I've been busy lol.

After FINALLY tasting all of my flavors (everything is muted in the eRoll) and playing with wattage on the 2.4ohm head, I decided to put in the 1.8ohm head to vape while I rip apart the 2.4ohm.

Note the stock coil is so uneven and I dunno, just looks funny to me. Anyways, I decided to put my research to practice.

With trial and error, finally got this thing to fire with 10/11 wraps.. Note to self, order .4mm ribbon instead of .5mm next time. I tried 6/7, 8/9, and I got 'Low Load'. Please note, I had to roll it super tight to get it to fit, a definite downside of ribbon over regular wire.

My best 'pat yourself on the back' moment in a while xD

To re-cap:

.5mm x .1mm ribbon kanthal A1
10/11(very tight) turns
3mm silica wick (added 2 strands of 1mm silica flavor wicks on top to prevent leaking)
= about 1.5ohms

Hitting great, awesome vapor and flavor over the stock 1.8ohm head! After researching a LOT, glad I settled on the Sigelei Telescope. I was afraid it would be too large, or rattly, but it's perfect. Other than the threads needing some lube I am definitely happy. I'm running it with an 18500 and it's just barely telescoped.

Next step, order some MBV juice, Jwraps and a spinner for my wife.

If anyone would like any more pics or info please feel free. It's about time I contribute!

Nate

terry w

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester UK
Hey guys!

First off I wanna say thank you to this forum for being amazing. I and my wife have had eRoll's for about 1.5 months now, and while they are great for being out and about, I still craved analogs a bit, and all of my flavors fell into 3 groups; menthol/fruit/dessert.

I received my V5(SS) and ProTank 2 from exhalevapors yesterday, and from the time I got home from work last night until now I have not slept. I ordered them on Saturday, and they arrived Wednesday with priority mail. I also received a 50ft spool of ribbon kanthal from TemCo.. Hehe

Please note, I tinkered with our eRoll's until they were perfect to me. That was a 2mm silica wick wrapped in 1 layer of 400 SS mesh. Lol, that was a project in itself. Regardless, I have been dying to get a mod as well as a rebuildable clearo.

I've been busy lol.

After FINALLY tasting all of my flavors (everything is muted in the eRoll) and playing with wattage on the 2.4ohm head, I decided to put in the 1.8ohm head to vape while I rip apart the 2.4ohm.

Note the stock coil is so uneven and I dunno, just looks funny to me. Anyways, I decided to put my research to practice.

With trial and error, finally got this thing to fire with 10/11 wraps.. Note to self, order .4mm ribbon instead of .5mm next time. I tried 6/7, 8/9, and I got 'Low Load'. Please note, I had to roll it super tight to get it to fit, a definite downside of ribbon over regular wire.

My best 'pat yourself on the back' moment in a while xD

To re-cap:

.5mm x .1mm ribbon kanthal A1
10/11(very tight) turns
3mm silica wick (added 2 strands of 1mm silica flavor wicks on top to prevent leaking)
= about 1.5ohms

Hitting great, awesome vapor and flavor over the stock 1.8ohm head! After researching a LOT, glad I settled on the Sigelei Telescope. I was afraid it would be too large, or rattly, but it's perfect. Other than the threads needing some lube I am definitely happy. I'm running it with an 18500 and it's just barely telescoped.

Next step, order some MBV juice, Jwraps and a spinner for my wife.

If anyone would like any more pics or info please feel free. It's about time I contribute!

Nate

Hey nate,

I recently started using the ribbon wire, and it does perform fantastic. You just need to add a couple of drippers to your collection now, and get blowing some serious clouds.:D

BeatboxHero

ECF Veteran
Jul 26, 2013
utah
Great post! As you can see from my profile picture on the left <---- I have a Zmax with a Protank 2. Of course I have the V3....I am very jealous of your V5 :glare: Maybe I will upgrade to the V5 sometime and use my V3 as a backup.

Anyways, I really appreciate this info I was about to buy some kanthal wire and try my hand at rebuilding and this gives me all the details I needed! I will probably get a RBA but at least I know how to rebuild my Protank coils now. Again, thank you! :vapor:

Nate M.

Verified Member
Jul 18, 2013
Cape Cod, MA
Great post! As you can see from my profile picture on the left <---- I have a Zmax with a Protank 2. Of course I have the V3....I am very jealous of your V5 :glare: Maybe I will upgrade to the V5 sometime and use my V3 as a backup.

Anyways, I really appreciate this info I was about to buy some kanthal wire and try my hand at rebuilding and this gives me all the details I needed! I will probably get a RBA but at least I know how to rebuild my Protank coils now. Again, thank you! :vapor:

Glad I could help! I tried doing research to figure out how to wrap with the ribbon for a Protank coil and could not find anything. So I jumped in with the trial and error approach haha. I'm glad it helps and hope the ribbon works out well for you!

Terry: I have tons of DIY materials on the way from MBV and should be getting here tomorrow! I'm told dripping is the best way to test out your DIY juice, but have no idea where to start. Is there a certain dropper you could recommend? Thanks a bunch!

Nate

sturat5150

Jul 28, 2013
Denton, Tx, USA
I am currently vaping on the Sigelei V5 with a protank that I just did my first rebuild on.
I was surfing through the micro-coil thread and decided I had to try it out. I wrapped a micro coil of 30ga A-1 Kanthal around a stainless steel toothpick out of my pocketknife. I did 8 wraps with the coils tight and touching, and it came out at 2.2 ohms. Pulled some sterile cotton through the coil and BA-BAM... Love at first vape ! Miles above the stock coils, super clean flavor and clouds of vapor.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
After getting into the mods with 3 Sigelei mechanical mods I got in on the preorder for the Zmax V5. Have had it for about 11-12 days, have ran Kanger Mini T3's, EVOD's and two Pro Tank 2's on it so far. It became the flagship almost immediately, gets used every day (sitting here on my computer desk with a PT2 on it right now with my favorite DIY juice). I'm running EVOD coils in the PT's, like the draw better. Almost have all of the stuff to start making my own coils. I'll be doing 3mm silica wicks with no flavor wicks first (have the wick and 34, 32 and 28 wire already). Also have SS mesh and 2mm silica wick coming as well. Will be buying a couple of atty's as soon as I decide which ones to buy. I'm experimenting a lot with my DIY liquids and they'd be perfect for that. I think a RSST is on the list though as well...

Even with the PT2 on it it's pretty compact in 18650 config, not much more than a handful in 18350. All of my Sigelei mech mads can be ran in either config as well. Like the versatility.

Last edited:

terry w

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester UK
Glad I could help! I tried doing research to figure out how to wrap with the ribbon for a Protank coil and could not find anything. So I jumped in with the trial and error approach haha. I'm glad it helps and hope the ribbon works out well for you!

Terry: I have tons of DIY materials on the way from MBV and should be getting here tomorrow! I'm told dripping is the best way to test out your DIY juice, but have no idea where to start. Is there a certain dropper you could recommend? Thanks a bunch!

Nate
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/rebuildable-atomizer-systems/448628-vho-helios-question.html

Hey nate i would suggest reading some of the posts on the rba sub forum, As there are many different rba`s out there.

i myself am currently running with this $5.10 V5 Electronic Cigarette Round Mouth Detachable Dripping Atomizer - 1.0. it performs fantastic, i just run it single coil with 3mm silica and 4 turns of ribbon. That gives me 1.1 ohm`s, which is perfect for my mech`s. If your mod is regulated, you will have to do a couple more turn`s of wire to get a higher resistance. I am also wating for my trident dripper to arrive. if you do get the V5 just remember to drill out the stock airhole to 1.5 mm,and you will be blowing clouds. watch jimi D in the video`s lol http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/451716-helio-vs-trident.html

Last edited:

Nate M.

Verified Member
Jul 18, 2013
Cape Cod, MA
Was looking for something like this just the other day, as I have kanthal ribbon coming my way and wanted to know if I could pull off a Protank/Evod rebuild with it. Looks like the answer is yes, and I'll be sure to pick up some 0.4 ribbon next order.

Let me know how the .4mm works out! I may have to order some since the .5mm gives me trouble in that tiny coil space -_-

Nate

dallas653

Sep 22, 2013
Rome, NY
Hi Guys, I also just got my Sigelei zmax v5 and I am loving it so far. It is a nice step up from my ego setup. I am looking to get an extra set of batteries for it, but am having trouble trying to figure out what kind to get. I want to get one 18650 and one 18350. The included manual says" Do not use the protected batteries", does that mean I can only use unprotected batteries in this device? Has any one else tried to use protected batteries in this device and will they harm my device?

RedNBlack

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
NE Georgia USA
Hey guys I just got the zmax v5 and am having a hard time shutting it off. I hit the button 5 times continuous but it just brings me to number 2 on the menu. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

Hey there triphop631,
Think the Chinese "universal translator" should have been run a second time on the manual. :glare:
The 5 clicks appears to only work on waking up the v5, after a battery change.
To disable the fire button on the v5, you have to go into Menu option 1. Out On/Off and select "Out Off".

Checking to see if I can find the hard copy manual that shipped with my v5........:blink:

RedNBlack

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2013
NE Georgia USA
Hi Guys, I also just got my Sigelei zmax v5 and I am loving it so far. It is a nice step up from my ego setup. I am looking to get an extra set of batteries for it, but am having trouble trying to figure out what kind to get. I want to get one 18650 and one 18350. The included manual says" Do not use the protected batteries", does that mean I can only use unprotected batteries in this device? Has any one else tried to use protected batteries in this device and will they harm my device?

Hey dallas653,
The hard copy manual that came with my Sigelei Zmax v5 shows the following:
(cut and paste from the manual)

Kit Contents:
ZMAX Telescopic V5+ VV/VW Mod - Brushed Steel

1 x 18650 Protected Lithium Batteries
1 x 18350 Protected Lithiume Battery
1 x CE4 Clearomizer
1 x Lithium Battery Charger with Us Adapter
1 x Instruction Manual The New
1x Mobile Usb Charger
Not sure how good the Chinese "universal translator" was working..... :glare:

They state the "blue batteries" shipped with the kit are "Protected"
and the "Instruction Manual The New".......not sure now how to respond to your OP. :blink:

Checking out the Mod Forum found a post from yzer

"...
The more common Li-ion batteries are ICR batteries. The chemistry is different from IMR batteries. The "safer" ICR is called a protected battery and has electronic protection circuits built-in against internal and external battery short circuits, over or under charge, and over discharge. They also have construction features to allow venting and to prevent fire or explosion during malfunctions."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread