First attempt at DIY. I call it a success, but have a couple questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
So I just got my first order from Wizard Labs... 250ml PG, 250ml VG and 120ml of 12mg Nic.

Using the calc on Steam Engine for a 20ml batch at 3mg Nic it called for:

PG 5.03ml I added 5ml PG,
NIC 5ml nic base,
VG 9.97ml I added 10ml VG
for a 50/50 mix.

I then added 2ml of TFA Blackberries and 2ML of TFA Bavarian Cream. mixed it and speed steeped it and vaped it... Tasted good, but had a decently hard nic hit. As in after 5 or 6 hits I had a nice head rush and had to sit down.

My question is with the exception of the flavorings, do my measurements look right?

Ok, just added 5 more ml of VG to thicken it up a touch and the nic hit is no longer there... Maybe I just hadent mixed it properly (Dont see how as I shook the crud outta it for a good 10 minutes) or perhaps it was just a touch strong, but its a lot better now.

And to think, I spent as much on all these supplies as I would have on 1 or 2 bottles from the local shop!!

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 3, 2014
United States
Your original mix was 3mg nic before you added flavoring (then a bit weaker).
If you want to mix by shaking you need to use bottle of at least 30 ml (if you have 22 ml of juice in it) - you need space for liquid to move freely. Also you need to heat a bottle a bit (I do it under running hot water). I am afraid just shaking (even for 10 min) a full bottle of thick, mostly VG juice, is not good enough.

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
Thank you. let me clarify a touch...

My mix was 50/50, I nuked it for 10 seconds to make it fairly hot to the touch but not boiling, bottle was a 30 mil bottle so there was plenty of space and air for it to slosh around and mix in. ;)

I just wanted someone to check my math to make sure I didn't just totally screw it up. been vaping it for the last while and it is much better now. No head rush.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Did you shake the bottle of nic solution before you mixed it? It tends to settle when stored and will throw your mix off, + weaken the rest of the nic juice.
This is not necessarily true most reputable vendors Nic comes pre mixed properly and doesn't really require shaking. But to be on the safe side you should shake your bottle of Nic. You may actually want to lower your concentration of nicotine

mhertz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 7, 2014
Denmark
Yes, it's many times not needed, but should be done just in case, as dannyv45 stated. After that, shaking isn't needed and will only introduce more oxidation. Freezing solid or likely also if +60C, is what will make it seperate again i've read by reputable source.

As Alien Traveler stated, you need overhead for shake/mixing. Another good idea is to shake the bottle hold sideways, which will make the miniscus(upper surface of liquid) bigger and blending better. You can get away with lesser headspace utilizing this technique.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread