First B&M experience...Can you say "Profit Margin"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT86

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
SE GA
So I need to build a couple new coils and am tired of 28g and want to try 24g so I looked on Amazon and can get a 100 foot roll for $4.85. Then i thought I would run by a local vape shop and see if they have any cuz I didn't want to wait til next week. I walked in and asked the teenage girl there if they had any and she said yes, so I asked how much it was.....$1.00 per foot....WOW I was shocked, I expected $10 to $15 for a roll but I didn't expect $100 for a roll! So I told her that I thought that was a little outrageous and I could get it on Amazon for 5 bucks....she said "Well this isn't Amazon", so I told her I would take 1 foot. She then bent over and stretched the wire out on the floor using the tile for a measuring device. I gave her my dollar and walked out. I didn't even bother looking at anything else, with a profit margin like that I was scared to look!

wheelie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Ont. Canada
www.independentont.com
Did you ask how much rent was, hydro bills, gas bills, insurance and shelling out their money out front to buy stock? Someone has to pay for that. They are not in business for the goodness of their hearts. They have to feed families also. Can not expect a store to have prices of someone selling stuff on internet out of their house. CHEERS!

GT86

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2014
SE GA
Did you ask how much rent was, hydro bills, gas bills, insurance and shelling out their money out front to buy stock? Someone has to pay for that. They are not in business for the goodness of their hearts. They have to feed families also. Can not expect a store to have prices of someone selling stuff on internet out of their house. CHEERS!

I didn't expect the same price as the internet, as I said I expected 2 to 3 times the price but I didn't expect 20 times the price.
I guess they do need the profit margin though so the 2 or 3 sales a month will pay the bills. Every time I have ever driven by there was never a single car in the parking lot.

Rabbit Slayer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2015
Scottsdale, AZ
Does it matter when they're charging over 1000 times what an item is worth.....

Do a lot of the people here run shops, ones that rip people off, because they sure do love defending horrible business practices

Papillon61

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 22, 2015
Sunshine Isle
B&Ms have overheads for sure but that kind of profit margin isn't going to get them customers. Most people have internet access and most people have credit or debit cards. B&Ms have a choice - either offer a good service at reasonable prices or become extinct. It is always their choice.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
Overhead aside, one thing to consider is that the B&M probably is not in the business to sell coil wire. My guess is that they did not carry rolls of kanthal for sale, and based on what the OP said it appears that they were selling the OP wire from the rolls they use to make coils. It's also like going to the B&M and buying cotton pads to make wicks. For the price they will charge you for the cottons pads, you can get 10 times the amount for the same price at a beauty supply store.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
Does it matter when they're charging over 1000 times what an item is worth.....

Do a lot of the people here run shops, ones that rip people off, because they sure do love defending horrible business practices

There is no question at all to me that some of these people are clearly B&M owners , charging that much for wire to me is essentially "theft " . The overwhelming majority of B&M's grossly overcharge for the products they sell , a 20 watt MVP for $75.00 , an iStick 50 watt for $85.00 , it's comical.

There was a great thread that a few B&M owners were involved in and they said outright that the rent, utilities and all the other stuff they say is required to run a business DOES NOT make it necessary to price stuff so ridiculously high .

Now i got to find it , it was very informative lol.

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
New York
I can understand marked up items in a local shop, most do it, but if the service is good then you have reason to buy.

I don't really understand the charge for wire. If they are not selling rolls of wire, the shops I've been to usually give it away no charge if you need a small amount. Then again that's just the shops I've been to.

Use temco to buy you're wire. Super affordable.

Traijan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2014
USA
I have worked with several B&Ms.
$1 per foot is more than normal.

Our local store sells 30ft rolls for $9.99

Out local headshops only charge $0.50 per FT.
Yup one of our local stores also sells 30ft roll for $9.99
Mesh on the other hand goes for $2.50 for a 1ft sq, which seems high but hell, that's a lot of mesh, more than I used when I was using a gen.

Then there is the other local store that will have the owners son whip you up a coil at no charge, they say it's just part of the service they offer. If you wanted or needed you could go there every day and they'd make you a new coil each time.
Then there is the *other* local store that wants you to pay them $5.00 to make you a coil. But this is the place to go for hardware like tanks, eLeaf 50w etc if you pay cash they'll charge no tax and you'll be getting the true "internet" price of the item or really close to it.

Personally, I just roll my own, it takes literally no more than a minute or two and at $9.99 for a 30ft roll, it's going to be a long long time before we need to buy anymore.

Rourke

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 10, 2014
Brooklyn, CT
I usually buy my coils from Fasttech but I was running low so I went down to my local B&M to buy a 5 pack of Aspire Nautilus BVC, and a 5 pack of Sub-tank OCC. $44 for both, wow talk about a mark up. I will have to plan better in the future and become a loyal Fasttech customer for my coils seeing as they are half the price of my local B&M.

Montecarlols

Verified Member
Jan 30, 2015
Boynton Beach
Lol the store by me charges $10 for a basic coil build, and the same 1.00 a foot of wire. They do have a large overhead and most new vapers are usually not that handy, the stores I think cater to smokers who want to switch to vaping and the older folks don't want the hassle of it becoming a hobby. Not that there aren't the elders who are able to figure it out, but the frustration of those who want to vape to quit the stink sticks. It does go both ways though, my little sister (20yrs old) has issues with her nautilus mini. I get texts about how to unscrew, replace coil ect.

GinnyTx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2014
Pearland, TX
they've got rent to pay and people to pay etc.

I'll try if it's "close" to buy at our local B&M to support them..but I'll agree some is just ridiculous. (a drip tip Ed paid $20 comes to mind, $7 on ebay vendor and $3 from SlowTech)

but I get "it" they have a "value added" (I had a bead store when my girls where in college so I get it...why buy that $5 kit from me? when it's $3 online? I'll show you how to use it.) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread