First B&M experience...Can you say "Profit Margin"!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jseah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2015
Hudson Valley, NY, USA
I usually buy my coils from fasttech but I was running low so I went down to my local B&M to buy a 5 pack of Aspire Nautilus BVC, and a 5 pack of Sub-tank OCC. $44 for both, wow talk about a mark up. I will have to plan better in the future and become a loyal fasttech customer for my coils seeing as they are half the price of my local B&M.
The B&M I normally go to charges $25 for a pack of 5 nickel Atlantis coils. Vaporshark sells the same coils for $21.25. Sure I pay more buying from them, but I can stop in, bring my RDA (which I bought from them) and they will recoil it for free. I've seen them have cloud chasing customers come in for replacement coils and be charged $5 for a replacement coil.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    B&Ms have overheads for sure but that kind of profit margin isn't going to get them customers. Most people have internet access and most people have credit or debit cards. B&Ms have a choice - either offer a good service at reasonable prices or become extinct. It is always their choice.

I recall that Costco has a fixed margin of ~12-15% on ALL items they sell.

Then again, there sure is a whole lot more Costco members then vapers.

So you spend a buck or few at the local place while waiting for your online order to arrive.

Reactions: GaG8tor

dhood

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 30, 2014
    Georgia
    This observation/argument comes up at least once a month, if not once a week, on these forums. Yes, there are shops out there that charge what can be considered outrageous prices for some items. But there are also those that charge a reasonable up-charge over what you find online. Those shops are the ones that add value to your purchases. the ones with employees that can talk builds and the latest technology. The ones that can debate flavor profiles and recommend something you might like that you hadn't thought of. The ones who can advise you on DIY juice making. I'm willing to pay up to 50% more than an online price at a local shop because these employees make it worthwhile. there are those on the board here who argue that if you have to charge that much you are gouging the public and you shouldn't be in business. Those people obviously haven't run a small business and had to figure out the added cost of rent, utilities, salaries, stock, taxes, etc. If they did 12-15% uplift on what you see on the internet, they wouldn't be in business 6 months. If you want to see a real world example, take a look at the madvapes website. Then walk into one of their stores and compare the prices. Juices might be close, nothing else is.

Alien Traveler

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 3, 2014
    United States
    Wild, wild vapewest. In B&M you pay for fast satisfaction. For not planning your purchases. For socializing (whatever it can mean in a vape shop - I do not understand this part, but I am an alien). There are no Home Depots for vapers yet. I think in a few years they do appear, and then most of the current B&Ms will be out of business. Consolidation, you know...

Reactions: dhood

sacullen

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 7, 2014
    Chicago, IL, USA
    I often hold my tongue in these threads, but wanted to add a few things.

First and foremost, the OP knows wire can be purchased cheaper, yet still chooses to spend his money there. No one has been ripped off, no theft has occurred.

Second, while the $1.00/ft wire might bring a margin of "1000%", this certainly doesn't mean every item in the store does. I'm sure most other items bring a much smaller margin.

Third, as another poster mentioned, the store isn't in business to sell wire. If they were, they'd call themselves "Lightning Vapes". They're not raking in mountains of moolah selling kanthal.

Fourth, the OP isn't even sure he will like 24ga coils. Seems to me that spending a buck to give them a try is pretty reasonable. If he likes them, he can place an order online for them. The overall price goes from $.05/ft to $.06/ft. Hardly a big deal.

Got a lot more, but it's late and I'm tired. Maybe I'll make a three-cent coil before I retire.

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 31, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    After he said she bent over I too was expecting a different ending....bunch a preverts here[emoji12]
    Oh and if I could sell someone dumb enough and willing to pay me one thousand dollars for a 6" piece of wire who am I to not say...SOLD.

CAVEAT EMPTOR. We live in a free market society. Think about all the BUNK items and goods you have bought in your lifetime. Like PT Barnum said, there is a sucker born every minute......I think PT Barnum said that[emoji41]

Last edited:

Rabbit Slayer

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 19, 2015
    Scottsdale, AZ
    If you dont like it, dont shop there. Not all shops are created equally. Find a better one.
    I for one don't feel like going to each and every new shop that pops up, there are like 50 shops w/in 25 miles of me and so far only a few of them have a handful of items that are prices reasonably...

But after the 6th shop that sold $10 batteries for $30+ I've given up on local shops

If we had a real community that looked out for each other, we could have threads listing the good and not-so-good shops by city/state

WharfRat1976

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 31, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    I for one don't feel like going to each and every new shop that pops up, there are like 50 shops w/in 25 miles of me and so far only a few of them have a handful of items that are prices reasonably...

But after the 6th shop that sold $10 batteries for $30+ I've given up on local shops

If we had a real community that looked out for each other, we could have threads listing the good and not-so-good shops by city/state
    The trick with local shops is to buy some stuff, hang out, become a reg, become buddies...then you get all the free stuff....a piece of wire is the least of it. It's like going into a car dealer. If they do not know you they will crack you as hard as they can....wait.....bad example [emoji57] [emoji6]

Reactions: Rocketpunk

serene.in.dallas

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 6, 2015

50 shops nearby? Sounds like a good problem to have. Have you ever heard of google maps or yelp? You can read others opinions on nearby shops. And please dont try to say they are all reviews done by employees or owners to boost ratings. In your utopia of a thread concept the same thing could happen. Quit being lazy or antisocial and visit your local shops. Do you not enjoy meeting fellow vapers and seeing tons of vape gear? Not every shop is over priced and run by idiots. If you really cant be bothered just buy online and dont gripe about it.

Rourke

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 10, 2014
    Brooklyn, CT
    The B&M I normally go to charges $25 for a pack of 5 nickel Atlantis coils. Vaporshark sells the same coils for $21.25. Sure I pay more buying from them, but I can stop in, bring my RDA (which I bought from them) and they will recoil it for free. I've seen them have cloud chasing customers come in for replacement coils and be charged $5 for a replacement coil.

A 4 dollar difference is not bad, but over a 25 dollar difference for a couple packs of coils seems almost like price gouging.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 12, 2012
    USA midwest
    there are like 50 shops w/in 25 miles of me

Holy cow. I had no idea, living out in the boonies, that there would be this many vape stores. I guess it's true, everybody and their brother in trying to get in on the vaping thing.

I always wonder what did all these people do "before". Were they housewives, or employees somewhere, did they sell beanie babies in flea markets, run a restaurant, or head shop, or own tobacco or cigar or wine stores before this? There appears to be so many, where did they all come from?

My small town.......1 vape shop. Not really a vape shop, since it is inside one of those tobacco superstores. Just 1/2 the floor space has vaping stuff on it now. There was a 2nd one for a while but they closed down.

Reactions: mattiem

malkuth

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 29, 2013
    Gray, TN, USA
    I just had to comment here. (I know, I am stupid) Do none of you eat at Restaurants? Are you aware that the cost of everything on the menu is 3 times what they paid for it? That is considered the common mark up. If it holds true for food, why should it be different for vape supplies? Just cause you can find the original cost of the vape supplies and can quickly calculate the mark up does not make the vape store the bad guy.

In short, if you do not want to pay the markup, do not buy at the vape store. That simple. I have bought that $1 per foot wire, cause I wanted to try a different guage. Then, if I liked it, I bought a larger quantity. The same is true for juice, tanks, mods, etc. I would much rather throw $1 away than $7 (or more). (Or in my case, PIF the remaining....)

Reactions: supertrunker

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
    the reason they sell it at 1.00$ a foot is because you have no wire at home and you need it cuz you cant wait for 4 days for Amazon to deliver.... and they also know you will be buying only a couple of feet at best and you wont mind shelling out 1 - 2$ for it....
    now if everyone who goes to a B&M for wire refused to pay a $ a foot, the price would drop rapidly or they just wouldnt carry it. But since alot of B&Ms have to build coils for customers at 10$, they need to carry it, but they wouldnt sell it in foot lengths...
    so for 10$ you get a coil made ( 3-4 " of wire) or you get 12" of wire for 1$.... seems like the 1$ a foot is a good price :)

jseah

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 16, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY, USA
    I get 3 feet of kenthal for $1 from a local b&m and I think it's great. So convenient. That lasts me 6 months.
    1 friggin' dollar. :thumb:
    If the store wants to charge me a 200 percent markup and sell me a $1 item for $3, I would most likely not think twice about paying for it. The extra $2 is well worth the convenience of getting it now versus waiting 2 or 3 days for the item to be shipped to me. However, if they want to charge me $170 for a $100 mod (another B&M near me is charging $170 for a Sigelei 150), I'm not going to buy it from them.

The B&M that I do frequent, and have spent close to $700 with over the past 2-3 months, don't sells individual spools of wire, but they do purchase wire in 1,000 foot spools for building coils for customers. If I asked them for a foot or two of wire, they would probably give it to me for free, since their cost is insignificant and that just builds goodwill.

jseah

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 16, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY, USA
    A 4 dollar difference is not bad, but over a 25 dollar difference for a couple packs of coils seems almost like price gouging.
    True. I have paid a $20 premium for a Subtank Mini before....it was my first one and I bought it at a B&M tobacco/vape store and paid $50 for it.

mattiem

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    My small town.......1 vape shop. Not really a vape shop, since it is inside one of those tobacco superstores. Just 1/2 the floor space has vaping stuff on it now. There was a 2nd one for a while but they closed down.

Sounds like you and I live in the same small town :D The vape shop has a going out of business sign in his window and the vape products are growing in the smoke store.

and for the OP--as I see it, you got what you needed when you needed it. That in itself would have been worth the buck to me.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread