First building experience with the Maganus Cloud Blaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islandswamp

May 17, 2017
I finally got an rba today when my cloud blaster arrived. I put the clapton coils it came with on it tested the ohms at around .15 (it reads .159 on my mod). I tried to get the hot spots out and i made sure it was glowing evenly. Then I wicked it and gave it a shot.

It is working but not working as well as I would imagine it should. I might have wicked it wrong I don't know. The ramp up time on the coils seems really slow but I'm not sure if that's normal for rba coils or not. I couldn't get a decent vape until I went up to 80/90 watts and even then it seems a little light.

What might I be doing wrong? Did I install the coils incorrectly or wick it wrong? Is it normal for the coil to take a few seconds to achieve a bright orange glow?

EDIT I went up to 100 and 110 and started to get some better results. I think i'll get the hang of it eventually.

EDIT 2: After getting it to work seemingly correctly I set it down for a little while. Then I picked it back up and vaped a bit at 110 to 120 (performing reasonably well, especially when I closed the airflow a little bit which is something I read that one reviewer did). The vape got extremely hot, which makes sense, but then after adding more juice to the tank (and obviously avoiding the chimney when I filled it) the next vapes became much too hot, spit juice into my mouth, and I actually managed to make this tank LEAK which it's not supposed to be able to do. juice under pressure (from being hot) squirted out (from the airflow I think, not the mouthpiece, but it happened extremely quickly). I'm going to put the premade coils in and vape on those for a while. Hopefully I can find someone who can offer some in-person help. I'd really like to never buy a premade coil again if I could help it.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Um... I don't build but your coil-resistance seems alarmingly low (what do the premade coils register as?) If they're supremely different in resistance, you ARE going to need more watts, more heat, and if juice gets HOT and SPITS up into your mouth? I'd be worried about a battery exploding, next. Plus, superheated e-juice doesn't sound lovely either.... I'm sure some coil builders will be along to help and I salute your desire to build coils :)

Anna

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
I think you ran into the reality that if you build to a low resistance and use a coil with a lot of metal in it then it will take a lot of power to get it up to temp. As you experienced the vape was getting better with the higher wattage.

Anna is right you are trying to run before you walk. Take the claptons out and put them away for later and start by building a coil that will get you anywhere between 0.20 to 0.40 ohms and I think you'll find it easier to get that one performing well. I'm not familiar with that atty and whether it does or dosen't require a dual coil build but if you can do just a single coil build do so, otherwise make it dual and remember your resistance with two coils is cut in half.

I once had visions of humongous clouds with the fancy coil wires but ended up just putting them away and I still have most of them untouched. I never found them performing any better when it came to taste & vapor so they just weren't worth fiddling with any longer. Build a simple coil with 24 or 26 gauge wire. Try a stretched coil first before fiddling with a tight coil.

As to why your atty was getting so hot. First thing I would check is how close you've built your coils to the coil chamber walls. You may have to go to a smaller diameter to keep the coil a reasonable distance from the metal walls surrounding it. With the claptons you were heating up a lot of metal and as you said some amount of additional heat would be expected.

Wicking is often specific to the atty, which I don't know, so I'll leave that to someone else to comment on.

Keep trying you'll get it and once you become comfortable building simply you can experiment with fancy builds. I'll bet you end up back with the simpler build in the end. Good luck with it.

Reactions: stols001

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
That extra heat and harshness is probably from over saturation of juice on the coil. Also agree with this rabbit hole of lower resistance, more power, kind of vape. Obviously more metal with these monster fancy coils, which require ridiculous amounts of wattage to fire them, which then requires more juice . In the long run you go through more coils and more batteries and more juice, which is how they want you, because they want more money.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Islandswamp

May 17, 2017
I think you ran into the reality that if you build to a low resistance and use a coil with a lot of metal in it then it will take a lot of power to get it up to temp. As you experienced the vape was getting better with the higher wattage.

Anna is right you are trying to run before you walk. Take the claptons out and put them away for later and start by building a coil that will get you anywhere between 0.20 to 0.40 ohms and I think you'll find it easier to get that one performing well. I'm not familiar with that atty and whether it does or dosen't require a dual coil build but if you can do just a single coil build do so, otherwise make it dual and remember your resistance with two coils is cut in half.

I once had visions of humongous clouds with the fancy coil wires but ended up just putting them away and I still have most of them untouched. I never found them performing any better when it came to taste & vapor so they just weren't worth fiddling with any longer. Build a simple coil with 24 or 26 gauge wire. Try a stretched coil first before fiddling with a tight coil.

As to why your atty was getting so hot. First thing I would check is how close you've built your coils to the coil chamber walls. You may have to go to a smaller diameter to keep the coil a reasonable distance from the metal walls surrounding it. With the claptons you were heating up a lot of metal and as you said some amount of additional heat would be expected.

Wicking is often specific to the atty, which I don't know, so I'll leave that to someone else to comment on.

Keep trying you'll get it and once you become comfortable building simply you can experiment with fancy builds. I'll bet you end up back with the simpler build in the end. Good luck with it.

Everyone: just to be clear I was using the premade claptons that came with the tank. I figured I would try those first because I have basically no experience wrapping coils. I was not attempting to make some extreme cloud machine BS I can assure you of that. Idm would rather have OK clouds and a safer build.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
TBH, I wasn't able to enjoy those high mass Clapton/fused Clapton type builds in power/wattage mode. Took too long to heat up, then got too hot. When I started using SS for my builds and temp control for my mod, I really enjoyed them as a nice warm, pleasant vape.

Having said that, NO, you do not have to go that route. I'll second and third the info you already got on start out with some simple coils. Get comfy wicking them so the tank doesn't flood or leak (90% of leaks are wick related). See what kind of vape fits you and satisfies your nice needs and keeps you from smoking.

Hang around, read some more, and you may or may not turn to more complex coils. No one says you have to use them to get the vape hat fits you best. For now, I'd lose the metal mass and keep it simple.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
As others have mentioned, the mass of metal in fancy coils takes quite a bit of power to heat, even more to heat rapidly enough to result in decent ramp up time.
Usually if you use enough power to get decent ramp up they over heat quickly.
The amount of expansion that takes place in the coil due to this amount of heat being generated makes what appears to be perfect cold coil wicking loose when heated. Too loose wicking = snap pop ~ spitting & leaking.

They also cool slowly, which depending on flavorings & sweeteners used causes rapid coil gunking, or funky tastes when it burns off due to being over heated.

Reactions: Eskie

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Everyone: just to be clear I was using the premade claptons that came with the tank. I figured I would try those first because I have basically no experience wrapping coils. I was not attempting to make some extreme cloud machine BS I can assure you of that. Idm would rather have OK clouds and a safer build.
Maybe you can buy some 26g pre made coils, just to try

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Islandswamp

May 17, 2017
Here's a good news update. I made it to a local vape shop (well half hour drive anyway) and the clerk (who turned out to be an old acquaintance) helped me get the rebuildable deck going. It turns out that I was close to setting it up correctly but the coils might have touched the cover when they got hot and I over wicked it. The pressure building up is what was responsible for the liquid shooting out.
We got a build that was a bit closer to .2 ohms (and eventually I will wrap something with more resistance too) and I was able to get some nice vapes at 70 to 90 watts.
Also I read some other posts where people mentioned that they had to reduce the airflow to get a good hit. For some reason this was the magic trick. Lower airflow with the top down air intake raises the pressure (or that's how it feels at least) and that increases cloud density and flavor. Personally I don't mind that sort of vape at all so it's great. If you can't stand any airflow restriction then this rba isn't for you. Now the factory coils work much much better with an open airflow and they give massive, smooth, and not too hot clouds at moderate wattages.

Tl:dr. I am stoked, this tank is amazing and the RBA works great now.

I finally got an rba today when my cloud blaster arrived. I put the clapton coils it came with on it tested the ohms at around .15 (it reads .159 on my mod). I tried to get the hot spots out and i made sure it was glowing evenly. Then I wicked it and gave it a shot.

It is working but not working as well as I would imagine it should. I might have wicked it wrong I don't know. The ramp up time on the coils seems really slow but I'm not sure if that's normal for rba coils or not. I couldn't get a decent vape until I went up to 80/90 watts and even then it seems a little light.

What might I be doing wrong? Did I install the coils incorrectly or wick it wrong? Is it normal for the coil to take a few seconds to achieve a bright orange glow?

EDIT I went up to 100 and 110 and started to get some better results. I think i'll get the hang of it eventually.

EDIT 2: After getting it to work seemingly correctly I set it down for a little while. Then I picked it back up and vaped a bit at 110 to 120 (performing reasonably well, especially when I closed the airflow a little bit which is something I read that one reviewer did). The vape got extremely hot, which makes sense, but then after adding more juice to the tank (and obviously avoiding the chimney when I filled it) the next vapes became much too hot, spit juice into my mouth, and I actually managed to make this tank LEAK which it's not supposed to be able to do. Juice under pressure (from being hot) squirted out (from the airflow I think, not the mouthpiece, but it happened extremely quickly). I'm going to put the premade coils in and vape on those for a while. Hopefully I can find someone who can offer some in-person help. I'd really like to never buy a premade coil again if I could help it.
This is a power issue. These types of coils do need more wattage then coil heads do. You can turn it up until it fires great automatically as you said you did. But you also get the downside of it popping, that is just because it is trying go get juice to your coil fast because it is being pulled out fast. So what I do is when I find that spot I turn it down 10 to 15 watts, it will take maybe 1 second to hest up right then it will be great. That is why you see people blow out on an rda for a second before actually hitting it. Hope this made sense and helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread