First Coil Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

praw2

Jun 18, 2015
I own a eleaf lemo tank and I'm getting ready to build my first coil. My 30w mod reads it I think at 1.4 Ohms. I want my vape to taste good with a decent cloud! Is that too much to ask for with my set up? I don't know how many times I should wrap my coil and if I should use a standard wrap or a micro coil wrap. I use a pretty thin juice. Thank you in advance for the help and happy vaping
:pervy:

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Welcome to ECF, praw...

You can go with a much lower resistance.

With 29 watts (I'm not big on maxing a VW APV), you can go down to 0.5-0.6Ω with good warmth and vapor.

Dropping down to that net resistance will provide far more coil surface area... and the greater the area, the greater potential for high vapor density... within the limits of the available wattage to support it.

Following this build, made using the Steam Engine coil modeling program... a 24 gauge Kanthal A-1, single coil on a 2mm mandrel (7-7/6) at 0.55Ω will be warm and provide dense vapor... for the products you have on hand. Switching to a higher VG content juice will only improve the vapor density.

If it's too warm, lower the wattage, if too cool, switch to this build with 25 gauge wire at a slightly higher resistance, starting again at 29 watts. Both builds are intended to combine as much coil surface area with the wattage you have available. With either build, you can also increase the mandrel size, to say 2.5mm... you just end up dropping down a wrap.

Make sure your cotton is not rolled too densely, and fit with only a slight drag in the coil... should give you what you're looking for.

Last edited:

praw2

Jun 18, 2015
Welcome to ECF, praw...

You can go with a much lower resistance.

With 29 watts (I'm not big on maxing a VW APV), you can go down to 0.5-0.6Ω with good warmth and vapor.

Dropping down to that net resistance will provide far more coil surface area... and the greater the area, the greater potential for high vapor density... within the limits of the available wattage to support it.

Following this build, made using the Steam Engine coil modeling program... a 24 gauge Kanthal A-1, single coil on a 2mm mandrel (7-7/6) at 0.55Ω will be warm and provide dense vapor for the products you have on hand. Switching to a higher VG content juice will only improve the vapor density.

If it's too warm, lower the wattage, if too cool, switch to this build with 25 gauge wire at a slightly higher resistance, starting again at 29 watts. Both builds are intended to combine as much coil surface area with the wattage you have available. With either build, you can also increase the mandrel size, to say 2.5mm... you just end up dropping down a wrap.

Make sure your cotton is not rolled too densely, and fit with only a slight drag in the coil... should give you what you're looking for.
Thank you so much State O' Flux !!! I definitely will try this out for my first coil. My only thing is that the only wire I have is the stock given to me in the lemo box. I have been told this is 26 gauge? If so, the calculator said to still use 29 watts still but the fire turned from Orange to red. This is what I saw after using your last two links!

Reactions: State O' Flux

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Thank you so much State O' Flux !!! I definitely will try this out for my first coil. My only thing is that the only wire I have is the stock given to me in the lemo box. I have been told this is 26 gauge? If so, the calculator said to still use 29 watts still but the fire turned from Orange to red. This is what I saw after using your last two links!
No problem praw2... better to know that to guess, right?

If it is in fact 26 gauge Kanthal A-1 (or a close clone), it will be .405mm thick (0159") +/-... anyway, if that's what you got... you'll want to drop down to around 20 watts or less for the previously described resistance.
Load the wire and resistance, and go down on the wattage (in the "Results - heat flux" box)... and you'll see what I mean.

You can also go with a higher resistance, say 0.9~1.1Ω at 29 watts... that would give you a temperature range from a pretty warm 285 mW/mm² to a nicely warm 233 mW/mm²... and of course, if that's too warm, drop the wattage.

Vape temperature has a lot of variables, besides what we've covered... obviously the biggest one is the users vape habits, followed by the atty AFC air flow potential. With some attys, you have enough adjustment to offset a hot or cool base radiant temperature by a good amount, with the twist of a restrictor ring.

When you get some time, click the first sigline link below... lots to learn about using Steam Engine to best effect, but well worth the effort.

Cheers!

praw2

Jun 18, 2015
No problem praw2... better to know that to guess, right?

If it is in fact 26 gauge Kanthal A-1 (or a close clone), it will be .405mm thick (0159") +/-... anyway, if that's what you got... you'll want to drop down to around 20 watts or less for the previously described resistance.
Load the wire and resistance, and go down on the wattage (in the "Results - heat flux" box)... and you'll see what I mean.

You can also go with a higher resistance, say 0.9~1.1Ω at 29 watts... that would give you a temperature range from a pretty warm 285 mW/mm² to a nicely warm 233 mW/mm²... and of course, if that's too warm, drop the wattage.

Vape temperature has a lot of variables, besides what we've covered... obviously the biggest one is the users vape habits, followed by the atty AFC air flow potential. With some attys, you have enough adjustment to offset a hot or cool base radiant temperature by a good amount, with the twist of a restrictor ring.

When you get some time, click the first sigline link below... lots to learn about using Steam Engine to best effect, but well worth the effort.

Cheers!
So I just built my first coil! My 30 watt is reading it at 1.1 ohms! My coil had about 7-8 wraps! I did a standard coil and it's vaping great! Thank you for all the help! I have a really smooth vape, decent cloud, and taste amazing!

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
So I just built my first coil! My 30 watt is reading it at 1.1 ohms! My coil had about 7-8 wraps! I did a standard coil and it's vaping great! Thank you for all the help! I have a really smooth vape, decent cloud, and taste amazing!
Good deal, but...

7-8 wraps... sounds more like 27 or 28 gauge, if it's on a 2mm mandrel. What's the mandrel size you're using?

If it seems kinda warm (understatement) - like a smokin' hot 468 mW/mm² if it's 28 gauge at 29 watts - or you're chain vapin' and get dry hits... tone down the wattage to around 16W+/-.

praw2

Jun 18, 2015
I'm chain vaping at 24 watts and I really don't know what gauge I'm using. It's just the stock from the lemo box and it doesn't say anywhere what kind it is. My mod and my tank are not hot at all? I don't know what mandrel I have. I actually wrapped it around a nail (of course (new) cleaned with rubbing alcohol) that looked like a pretty decent size!

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I'm chain vaping at 24 watts and I really don't know what gauge I'm using. It's just the stock from the lemo box and it doesn't say anywhere what kind it is. My mod and my tank are not hot at all? I don't know what mandrel I have. I actually wrapped it around a nail (of course (new) cleaned with rubbing alcohol) that looked like a pretty decent size!
Ah well... can't really generate any functional data without details, but... your "first coil" seems to be workin' for ya', and when it comes down to it - if you've not blown your face off yet - you're good to go!
Ciao

praw2

Jun 18, 2015
Ah well... can't really generate any functional data without details, but... your "first coil" seems to be workin' for ya', and when it comes down to it - if you've not blown your face off yet - you're good to go!
Ciao
Okay thank you! And blowing my face off doesn't sound like fun so I'm glad this isn't happening...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread