First Genny

Status
Not open for further replies.

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Too cold to keep hands out of pocket for long enough to get a decent vape anyway ;)

I usually add 5-10% water to a mixture of 50/50 pg/vg. Fairly runny and works decently well. Mind you, it's only halfway to -30C here at the moment. Between keeping my gear in an inside jacket pocket and taking some short(er) puffs to get it heated. Not too bad, imo. I feel for you folks who deal with lower temperatures and can't up the PG ratio a bit, tho.

During hot(ter) summer months I up my VG ratio a little to prevent leaking.

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
Well, since this thread seems to be about gennies it would seem safe to share a story about an RSST. It is kind of my own epiphany that has just happened. I have just vaped at 15 watts on a ~.9/1.0ohm coil in my RSST. :) :vapor::thumbs:

Wow! * picks jaw up yet again * I sat here and gradually bumped up a watt after each successful vape from 9 watts. Got to 13 and the vape started to hint at being warm. 14 and it felt hot like a cigarette. Thought, "well enough of that" and figured I would back down.

Then a second thought hit like quicksilver. "Don't know until you try." Up it went to 15. A vape later and just wow! Guess for this coil and set up it breaks like a recurve bow. At 15 watts the heat dropped off. The vape is bliss. * goes to find jaw *

I know RSSTs probably are not the best. Still think I am lost in some kind of vaping orgasm though. I need to vape more, more, more. The Whiskey Bent flavor is lulling me back. :)

Reactions: WattWick

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
Welcome to the real party :toast: ;)

No joke! :) Now up to 20 watts. :) Do think I will not venture too much further if at all. Feeling a pleasant nicotine haze. It is not a buzz, feels different, better. I like this experience.

Evod types are great for what they are. I had not gone over 12 watts though. Kept feeling too warm, coughing. This morning that haywire thought took over. Glad it did except for watching the battery. *chuckles*

Reactions: WattWick

TheOnyxEgg

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2014
Minneapolis, MN, USA
Welcome to the party! I too started my genny habit with an RSST, and still go back to it from time to time. Currently use a DID as my daily at work. Have it with a 28awg 1 ohm coil putting me somewhere in the 15 - 18 watt range when using it on a mech (usually is on my Nanos). I rarely go through more than 2 18650s in a day.

What type of wick are you using? (Mesh or SS rope I hope ;))

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
Welcome to the party! I too started my genny habit with an RSST, and still go back to it from time to time. Currently use a DID as my daily at work. Have it with a 28awg 1 ohm coil putting me somewhere in the 15 - 18 watt range when using it on a mech (usually is on my Nanos). I rarely go through more than 2 18650s in a day.

What type of wick are you using? (Mesh or SS rope I hope ;))

Using READYxWICK™ for wick. Can char it black with a torch, it glows red & then, pure white. Not tried mesh or steel rope yet. Will need to though.

Had a bit of fun. *chuckles* The juice I'm using indeed does have alcohol in it. At 21 watts I found out about a flaming coil. Vaped up to 25 watts as the alcohol simply poofs itself out. Dropped back down to 20 and think I'll remain there.

Man o' man though, flaming coil. *lol* There was only a mild danger involved. Took the top cap off to see if that was what happened. Figure the coil is clean. :) Hehe.

Hmmm. Yep, 20 it is. :)

TheOnyxEgg

ECF Veteran
Jun 13, 2014
Minneapolis, MN, USA
Good to know! I've yet to try a ceramic wick as I've been using up the mesh that I have on hand and have been very happy with it.

It looks to be pretty flexible stuff? Curious if you could get the same life span out of a wick that you can with mesh. (I've had wicks last through several hundred ml of liquid)

Do you use a single strand or do you double the wick up? Would love to see pics of your setup on the RSST. :)

MyMagicMist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
Good to know! I've yet to try a ceramic wick as I've been using up the mesh that I have on hand and have been very happy with it.

It looks to be pretty flexible stuff? Curious if you could get the same life span out of a wick that you can with mesh. (I've had wicks last through several hundred ml of liquid)

Do you use a single strand or do you double the wick up? Would love to see pics of your setup on the RSST. :)

Will ask my wife to take a snap on her phone later, if she will. Presently, she's out and away. We got other s-m-r.t phone devices here but I'm not that s-m-r-t as to use the Polaroid feature on 'em. That and my clubbed fingers don't like tiny keys in video screen.

It is either ceramic or silica, wanting to say ceramic. Kind of like Ekowool(sp) but it has been dry cured in a kiln at high temps. It is flexible. I only have one strand run up from tank through coil.

You possibly could double it, or use multiple strands. I've gone through about six tanks of the Whiskey Bent. So far not figured out how to delicately remove just the wick. I switch out flavors, total rebuild. I see those using rope or mesh changing wicks and leaving coils.

Sends an urge to try mesh or rope in me. I'll get there. :)

Snaps

2vi1jpz.jpg

2zxnl82.jpg

Last edited:

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
For me, it's the other way around with mesh. I change coils but leave the wick. More specifically, pull the wick, set it on fire and stick it back in.

As for changing flavors, I may be "cheating" by using very little flavoring in the first place. All it takes is draining the tank and swishing some PG around in it. Dump PG, repeat. Run some PG through the wick --> change flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread