First kanger starter kit no idea how to even thread cotton help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxMizzHeLLoKiTTyxX

Feb 7, 2016
Just got a Kanger starter kit. No idea how to even take this apart to look at the coil I have. Do I have to wait till the juice past the wick? What is the best way to thread the cotton? If my nose is running or Imore tasting my e juice do I need to change the setting's on my vape? Why is my battery only lasting half a day? Where are the best places to buy coils/wicks/juice from? I am brand new some body help me. Is it normal to smoke 2 to 3 cigarettes a day the first day switching to a vape? Thank you all in advance for your help. I have 2 young children and they hate me smoking. Switching for them.

mauricem00

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
carson city nevada
Just got a Kanger starter kit. No idea how to even take this apart to look at the coil I have. Do I have to wait till the juice past the wick? What is the best way to thread the cotton? If my nose is running or Imore tasting my e juice do I need to change the setting's on my vape? Why is my battery only lasting half a day? Where are the best places to buy coils/wicks/juice from? I am brand new some body help me. Is it normal to smoke 2 to 3 cigarettes a day the first day switching to a vape? Thank you all in advance for your help. I have 2 young children and they hate me smoking. Switching for them.
welcome to ECF im afraid we need to know what tank your using to answer you question but tasting raw juice is an indication that your coil is flooding and may be operating at too low of a power setting.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. We do need to know which kit you bought to tell you how to take the tank apart to get to the coil. Yes, the tank has to be empty before you take it apart (on most of them, anyway) or it will puke the unused juice all over everything. You may need to change settings; but we need to know exactly what's wrong, and where your setting are now to help. Same same the battery question. It might be normal, or maybe not, but we need to know what battery and how you have it set. I usually buy coil wire and wick on eBay, but there are many other options. It is very normal to smoke one or two a day-- or more-- when you first start. Keep talking to us, we're going to help you. Promise :)

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
I'm going to work a little backward-to-forward on your questions.

1) If you are smoking less than you were before you started vaping, you're in a perfectly normal place. 2 or 3 cigs a day is better than a pack a day. ;)
2) There should be a stickied post at the top of the Forum with Registered Suppliers - a good place to start shopping for vape gear.
3) You should be using pre-made coils and there's no need for you to worry about re-wicking them with cotton. Use coil until it starts tasting funky, remove coil, replace coil. (The Kanger kits that come with their Subtank Mini may include a rebuildable coil unit (RBA), which I wouldn't recommend touching until you've done a lot of reading of ECF here and watching some YouTube videos.)
4) Battery charge life is a function of the battery capacity, the settings on your mod, the coil resistance, and how much you are using it through the day.
5) You should be able to remove a coil even with a full tank by removing the tank from the mod, taking the drip tip off the tank and turning the tank over on its top. Put it on a paper towel in case any juice comes out. Unscrew the tank base that houses the coil and the coil will unscrew from the base. (Maintaining vaping gear requires a ready supply of paper towels or tissue - be prepared!)
6) What type of juice are you using - i.e. what mg level of nicotine content and the VG/PG ratio (if you know it). Those can be contributing factors to your vaping experience and any physical reactions you're having to vaping.
7) WELCOME to ECF! :)

XxMizzHeLLoKiTTyxX

Feb 7, 2016
Thank you sup. I will get back to you about the battery after charging tonight. The lady at the vape store went through everything pretty fast and I had a buzz from using their vape bar for a half hour so I didn't really absorb everything she said. One more thing. How do I save the juice below the wick in my tank if I don't want to throw it away when I want to get to my coil? The one I just bought was $10 and I do not want it going to waste.

Ablonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Frozen Tundra, WI Cheesehead
@XxMizzHeLLoKiTTyxX Hello and welcome to the forums!!!! Glad your making the switch.I can not add to what has already been posted but here is my take on your nose running. For the nose running part may be do to higher VG content. I know when I use higher Vg my nose runs and when I use higher PG it doesn't. That seems normal to me. If you vape less on the higher VG you should not run into that problem. No pun intended. ;) Hope this helps.

Ablonz

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 17, 2014
Frozen Tundra, WI Cheesehead
Thank you sup. I will get back to you about the battery after charging tonight. The lady at the vape store went through everything pretty fast and I had a buzz from using their vape bar for a half hour so I didn't really absorb everything she said. One more thing. How do I save the juice below the wick in my tank if I don't want to throw it away when I want to get to my coil? The one I just bought was $10 and I do not want it going to waste.

As far as saving the juice if you take the tank off flip it upside down and unscrew the bottom, the juice will stay inside the top. Just make sure you take the drip tip off like @suprtrkr mentioned above.
Battery lasting a half day. Could be your setting is too high and you are chain vaping. I suggest running it about 18-20 watts and recommend a second battery. Samsung 25R are good batteries. Also pick up an external charger so you can charge one battery while you are vaping with the other. As far as smoking 2-3 a day, you are doing great for your first day. It took me 3 and a half months to go exclusively to vaping after smoking for 28 years. Some can quit first day, some take longer. Do not beat yourself up if you have a smoke or 2 or 3. It's all about reducing. Count the ones you don't smoke. That's what matters. In time you find smoking tasting awful with it being easier and easier to reduce more. As far as cleaning goes if you want to change the flavor, it will be hard to take the glass off the first time. I will save you trouble here. All I do is take a hard plastic card like a library card or drivers license and wedge it between the glass and metal then just press it into it while you rotate it around the tank like your cutting a the skin of an orange to get it ready to peel it. Works like a charm every time. Something to that effect. You will receive A LOT of info here. Take your time to read through. We will help make it a great experience for you. Hope that helps.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Welcome @XxMizzHeLLoKiTTyxX

For me, continuing to smoke and wean myself off was what I expected to do.

Some of us started on low power, high nicotine kit and did get cravings. I think the cravings will be less with a modern kit, but don't know for sure. Half the battle is not just the Nicotine.

Anyway, if it's working, keep going. :)

XxMizzHeLLoKiTTyxX

Feb 7, 2016
I will try to take the coil off but I can see its a Clapton coil. I have it set at 27.5 w right now. It says 0.00v. If I go to the setting's for the coil it''s set at 75.0w 230 Ni. On the coil it says 0.50 18w-70w . Why do I need to take the coil out? This is a lot of info at once and I will be on here throughout the day. Not sure what kind of battery it is. It's yellow and says HE4 3.7V 2500mAh. Yes it is a top box mini. The lady said I should be on 3mg juice but I feel like it's not strong enough. I do have an 18 MG juice and a 24 MG juice too I just don't want to be wasting all this juice all the time. There are a few coils in the kit with cotton in them already. One has red on it and the other is blue. No idea what that means.

Douggro

Ultra Member
Nov 26, 2015
Seattle, WA
I will try to take the coil off but I can see its a Clapton coil. I have it set at 27.5 w right now. It says 0.00v. If I go to the setting's for the coil it''s set at 75.0w 230 Ni. On the coil it says 0.50 18w-70w . Why do I need to take the coil out? This is a lot of info at once and I will be on here throughout the day. Not sure what kind of battery it is. It's yellow and says HE4 3.7V 2500mAh. Yes it is a top box mini. The lady said I should be on 3mg juice but I feel like it's not strong enough. I do have an 18 MG juice and a 24 MG juice too I just don't want to be wasting all this juice all the time. There are a few coils in the kit with cotton in them already. One has red on it and the other is blue. No idea what that means.
Good morning! :)
3mg is a pretty light juice for a converting smoker. When you're using your vape, do you "chain vape" on it, taking continual hits on it - kinda' like power-smoking? Going through juice quickly? If so, all signs that you will probably want to bump up your nic level in your juice. The 18mg and 24mg juices you have are probably going to be fairly harsh in your current setup, but you might be able to get them to work by turning the power down and closing down the airflow control.

You've got a decent battery in the LG HE4. I'm sure the battery life issue is just you're usage level. I haven't tried those Clapton coils but they are going to take something in the power settings you're using to give a decent vape.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Good morning and welcome to ECF, MizzKitty (for we older folk, that takes us back to Gunsmoke days. But I digress). Sounds like you are getting there, but it is a journey to which I will offer my comments. Hope it helps you out.

Nice set-up you started with, but it does require a bit more effort to dial it in. It looks like your kit came with 3 different coils, a standard kanthal coil, a Clapton coil, and a nickel coil (Ni200, for temperature control, probably the blue O-rings). All should give some information right on the coil. JMHO, but I would suggest putting away the Ni200 coil for now and work with the others. Sounds like you started with the clapton coil, but if giving a bad or burned taste, you may need to switch it out. You got the info on priming a new coil, so follow that closely. After priming, I tend to start out even below the bottom level recommended and work my way up slowly on the power until it starts getting harsh or a bit hot, then back it down a bit to your sweet spot. It takes a bit longer, but once there, you are good to go. Then you can adjust your "warm up" as you get more familiar with the process.

"It says 0.00v. If I go to the setting's for the coil it''s set at 75.0w 230 Ni. On the coil it says 0.50 18w-70w ." If I am reading this right, it sounds like you have the mod set for a nickel coil, but have the Clapton coil installed. If so, change the mod settings for the Clapton coil, probably "kanthal".

As far as your juice, I would suggest using the 3mg juice. 18 and 24 are way to high for most users on sub ohm equipment. If the 3mg seems a bit low, pick up some 6mg in a small bottle to try. Between those 2 levels, you should have a pretty good idea of what level to settle in with. Then you can pick up some 0mg of the same flavors as your 18 and 24 to mix and adjust the nic level to your liking. If 6 is your number, 2 bottles of 0nic of your 18mg mixed together gives you 3 total bottles at 6mg. Want just a bit higher, 1 0nic with the 18 gives you 2 bottles of 9mg nic. And so on.

Your kit came with an RBA deck for building coils. That is the only place you would be using the cotton, so I would suggest just leaving all of that in the box for now.

Sounds like you have an LG battery now. I'll leave any critiquing of that battery and recommendations for others to those more knowledgeable in that area. But would suggest at least 1 or 2 more 18650 batteries and a good external charger so you can charge depleted batteries, yet still vape away. Carrying (in a case, of course) a spare, charged battery when out for extended periods insures against "power outages."

Yeah I feel like it's working but I use it a lot. At least 2 to 3 times an hour. I have not looked at the Vg or pg percentage yet

Depending on how those "2 to 3 times an hour" are done, that may or may not be "a lot". When I started vaping, I would vape like I smoked. Smoking was lighting one up and taking 15 or more puffs in 5 or 6 minutes. Then an hour or so later, repeat. It's different for everybody, but I soon learned I couldn't vape like I smoked. Instead of taking 15+ puffs in 5 minutes, I soon spread those 15+ puffs out over the course of an hour or so. But now being able to vape in the house and car, it is wonderful not having to bundle up to step outside in the freezing cold to suck one down quickly. Or between the car and store. Those thiings make it easier to change some of those habits.

Hope something in all that helps a bit. Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
The lady said I should be on 3mg juice but I feel like it's not strong enough. I do have an 18 MG juice and a 24 MG juice too I just don't want to be wasting all this juice all the time.
A "general guideline" for nicotine concentration in e-liquid to the number of cigarettes smoked per day. If you are sub-ohming (resistance under 1.0Ω) cut these nicotine levels by at least 50%.
  • 06 mg = 10 cigarettes or less
  • 12 mg = 20 cigarettes
  • 18 mg = 30 cigarettes
  • 24 mg = 40 cigarettes
I will try to take the coil off but I can see its a Clapton coil. I have it set at 27.5 w right now. It says 0.00v. If I go to the setting's for the coil it''s set at 75.0w 230 Ni. On the coil it says 0.50 18w-70w .
The Clapton coil should only be run in "power mode", not "temperature control" mode.
There are a few coils in the kit with cotton in them already. One has red on it and the other is blue. No idea what that means.
Here's the deal with the new SSOCC coils. SSOCC = Stainless Steel "coil housing" organic cotton coil.
  • Pink O-Ring: Stainless Steel wire. Power or SS TC mode, your choice.
  • Blue O-Ring: Nickel wire. Ni TC mode ONLY.
  • Black O-Ring: "Clapton" coil. Probably Kanthal, Power Mode ONLY.
  • Red O-Ring: NiChrome wire. Power Mode only. Made to use with the NiCh TC mode on the brand new Kanger TC mods. Doesn't actually TC according to reports. More work needed, we'll see. No other mods can TC it (TCR 0011ish... doesn't work).
Table from Fasttech.

upload_2016-2-7_10-36-31.png

Some General Information
Priming a Coil

When you are using a new coil for the first time, the wicks (usually they are cotton) have to be primed well with juice. If they are not primed well the cotton will burn. Once the cotton is burned the harsh/burnt taste doesn't go away.

To prime the coil, drop 5-8 drops (sometimes less/more depending on the size of the coil head) of juice right inside the coil, another drop of juice in all the holes on the side of the coil. Put the coil in the base.
  • If Bottom Filling - Fill the tank and then screw the base back onto the tank.
  • If Top Filling (some of the newer tanks are top filled) - Screw the tank on the base and then top fill it.
Once you put the tank on the battery give it several unpowered primer puffs. This will make sure the wick is fully saturated.

Rule of Thumb

The rule of thumb for EVERY regulated vape device you'll ever own is the same, when running in "power/wattage" mode. Start low power (wattage or voltage), take a draw, bump it up and repeat. If it starts to taste funny, gets too hot or tastes burnt, back it down. Different flavors will have different sweet spots so you just have to experiment.

Charging

Here are some safety guidelines I like to follow:
  • If using 18650 batteries, a freestanding charger is highly recommended. Get the best charger that you can reasonably afford. Statistically most battery incidents occur while charging. Pila, Xtar, and Nitecore Intellicharger are the most recommended brands.
  • Plugging your mod into your computers usb port takes the battery much longer to charge and if the batteries protection fails you could risk blowing your computers motherboard.
  • Don't leave the battery charging when someone is not around to unplug it when it is done charging. I also would not charge it overnight for the same reason.
eLiquid/Juice

PG = Propylene Glycol - the "flavor carrier" of e-liquid. A secondary source of "throat hit", but not as strong as the nicotine concentration. Some people have a sensitivity or even an allergy to PG. It's very thin.

VG = Vegetable Glycerin - the "vapor maker" of e-liquid. Used as a sweeter in many food sources, and also as a skin emollient. It's very thick. Often labeled just "Glycerin"

PG and VG are often used together in different ratios in e-liquid. For example, a 50/50 PG/VG ratio. Many juice vendors offer a range of different ratios as far as PG/VG.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread