First kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombie089

Jul 6, 2015
Hi guys, been lurking around this website for awhile and finally decided to create an account.

I'm new to this vape thing. Been a smoker for the past 10 years, averaging around 10-15 sticks a day. I've read up about the different types of options available for the kit.

I wanna check if the mods are really all DIY. Changing the wick and the coil looks kinda time consuming and it look like it does need quite a bit of maintenance.

So what should I look for when purchasing for my first kit?

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Hi @Zombie089 , I'd highly recommend an Aspire Nautilus Mini/full size tank and the Eleaf iStick 30 watt mod (battery). Both are highly user friendly and together they give a quality vape. With the Nautilus tank you just swap out the coil head when it needs it (avg use about 10 days to 2 weeks per coil head) and you're good to go. The Nautilus was my game changer when I was trying to quit smoking. With the 30W (or any 30 watt mod) you have room to grow should you desire to get into sub ohms and coil building. Good luck in your decisions and vape journey.
30W%20w%20Naut_zpspxou70ko.jpg

I'd also recommend a trip to a local vape shop (everything will be cheaper online) to actually look at in hand any choice you make, and to sample e juices to find one you like.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I wanna check if the mods are really all DIY. Changing the wick and the coil looks kinda time consuming and it look like it does need quite a bit of maintenance.

So what should I look for when purchasing for my first kit?

Rebuilding (DIY) atomizers is not compulsory and you can use factory tanks and coils/wicks on most of the top "mod" batteries. I use plug and play atomizers most (75%) of the time.

A MOD is just a generic term for a "modified e-cig", back from the days when people really were modifying. These days a "mod" is just an advanced personal vapourizer battery.

nvadasz

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2014
Beverly Hills, Fl, USA
I guess I really did get confused by the term mod. So just fit everything together and it's more or less ready to go?
That's it. The atomizer (Aspire Nautilus Mini) screws onto the top of the iStick battery and you are good to go. That battery has the option to change watts and or voltage as desired. With the Nautilus, you may wish to start at 8 watts and work your way up or down. Watts will change the heat from your vaping and the volume of vape

nvadasz

ECF Veteran
Dec 8, 2014
Beverly Hills, Fl, USA
If you're just starting out, you don't really need to get into a bunch of stuff that will drive you crazy, like building your own battery, and re-coiling your coils, and stuffing your own wicks. Alot of that stuff get pretty techy, beyond me... If you want just an easy to use and maintain set-up, follow our suggestion. You'll have a hard enough time finding your favorite flavor of juice.

Reactions: blondie57

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
I guess I really did get confused by the term mod. So just fit everything together and it's more or less ready to go?

The iStick 30w and Nautilus tank are pretty much a plug and play type of vape gear.

iStick 30W. Power will be set to max from the factory. Click the power/fire button 3 times to select watts or volts (I use watts). Set it on 10 watts and take a hit, bump it up and take a hit. If it gets to warm or starts to taste burnt, back it down (you're looking for the "sweet spot" of your vape.)

Nautilus. Screw the coil head in firmly. Fill the tank with juice and screw the bottom onto the tank, firm but not tight. The rubber seal works great if not over tightened. You'll either have the 1.6 ohm or 1.8 ohm coils. Cover the air hole with finger, take a few draws WITHOUT power to draw vacuum in tank and get the coil wicked with juice, let sit for 5 minutes. Screw tank onto battery and you're good to go.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Add me to the list. The Nautilus is a good tank, and they don't come much simpler. Yes, you do have to replace the coil heads occasionally, but it's no harder to do than putting juice in it. Screw the old one out, toss it, screw the new one in, reassemble the tank, fill with juice, let the new wick soak a few minutes and vape. A coil head will last a week to a month, depending on power and juice. The iStick 30 is a good place to start also. It will go low enough, and it's simple enough, a beginning vaper can use it without trouble, but it's powerful enough it will serve as at least a backup for as long as its battery lasts. However, if the budget will stretch, I would recommend the Innokin iTaste MVP 3.0 over the iStick. It's going to be 10 or 15 bucks more, depending in what's on sale where the day you buy, but I think it a better piece of gear with a better manufacturer. Build quality is about the only difference. Aside from a bigger capacity battery, so it vapes longer on a charge (3800 vs 2200 mAh), they're functionally identical. The MVP is a little bigger and heavier because of the larger battery. Good luck, happy vaping, and welcome to the board. I see clouds in your future ;-)

blondie57

Moved On
Jul 6, 2015
hi Zombie089! I am guessing you are a guy...??..I have 2 brothers and I can tell you that it wouldn't be long before they would be poking and prodding their vaping gear to see "what's in there" :lol: ....The Nautilus Mini is a GREAT little set up! You can buy the coils premade and just pop them in there..and you're done! (leave time for the wick to fully saturate after putting in ejuice) If in the future you feel like trying your hand at rebuilding..there are TONS od dedicated threads right here in this Forum...and TONS of DIY vids on Youtube..CAREFUL..some of them are full of it :nah: ...I get a kick out of "Todd's Reviews"...:wub: You will NOT save a ton of money rewicking/winding your own coils to begin with as remember u will need to acquire all the "gear"..jigs,kanthal,and a WHOLE LOTTA PATIENCE and practice and missteps before you reach your desired rebuilding perfection;)..Not sure it's all about saving $$$ anyway...it's that feeling of independence and accomplishment I think :) If quitting smoking is your goal..STAY FOCUSED..KEEP IT SIMPLE...you don't need more stress right now....and trying and failing at a rebuild can be exasperating!! ...get the nicotine craving under control first...give it time...you will know when u r ready..if ever.. to branch out and explore the wonders of "what's inside that thing" ;) lol Good Luck and see you in the forum!

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Now the hardware is out of the way, I read that first juice is actually more important than first kit? I've only tried a drag of orange from my friend and it was nasty to me. Are there any cigarette flavours?

There are all kinds of flavors out there - tobacco/fruit/vanilla/menthol/dessert, etc. What one person likes, another abhors. I smoked menthol cigarettes (hated non-menthol, but would smoke them if that's all that was available.) I started with fruits and desserts - tried a couple of tobacco flavors, but I guess I don't really know what "tobacco" is supposed to taste like because it all just tasted like "smoke" to me....

I hear lots of folks who really like Halo Tribeca. I tried it once, and it didn't do a whole lot for me, but now that I make my own juice, I have the ingredients to mix a clone recipe.

You can make this all as simple or as involved as you want. There's very little easier than popping a coil from a blister pack, screwing it into the base, filling the tank, plopping on the mod and vaping away. Keep in mind, start LOW power and work your way up. You don't want to fire a brand new coil at a guh-zillion watts on the first hit. You'll figure out what works for YOU.... (which is also some of the "fun" of this - trying things and seeing what works and what doesn't work.....)

Welcome and good luck!

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
Now the hardware is out of the way, I read that first juice is actually more important than first kit? I've only tried a drag of orange from my friend and it was nasty to me. Are there any cigarette flavours?

I'd recommend a trip to a local shop to sample the flavors. There's a 1000 different flavors and over 100 that are tobacco flavored. I stayed away from the tobacco flavors when I quit because I was concerned it would make it easier to want a cig. Fruits (banana, apple, and anything blueberry) were my first likes.
I started with an apple cinnamon mix, because my taste buds were coated with 30 yrs smoking. It took a few weeks before they recovered to taste the finer blends. This is why I suggest a trip to a local vape shop for sampling.

You might also look here :
DEALS and STEALS - Deals and Steals | E-Cigarette Forum (go to last couple pages)
FORUM SUPPLIERS - ECF Forum Suppliers | E-Cigarette Forum
COUPONS - Stores - ECF E-Cigarette Coupons

The deals and steals page is updated daily, you might want to "watch thread" so you have a quick link to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread