First look at the Evic Clone - Vcig

Status
Not open for further replies.

pirgulation

Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Missouri - Usa
Just figured I'd drop in here and give you guys a look at a pre-production sample I acquired of the Vcig.. It's essentially an Evic clone.

While they did an overall good job copying this, it obviously has different software. It also has a little bit different threading (Although the head caps / battery caps are the same - the main tube to head connection is a different thread. The tube is also slightly smaller *about 1/2mm* So the short tubes will not work =( It also is slightly lighter. 62.9g vs 73.7g unpowered (no battery).
This 'gift pack' comes with a Vivi/CE style atomizer tank, which I will not be reviewing (and I have not used it) - it is a slight bit wider than most tanks though and provides a nice aesthetic appeal to it.

The Vcig has a couple 'pros' over the evic - It has power 'output' - so you can use it as a battery source. It also is VV/VW (2w-15w / 3v-5v) ^^ Yes you saw it 15w ^ I have documented 5.5v+ out of this device though - but I have only gotten around 10.5w, so assuming it has the same or similar amp rating I haven't really been able to push it all the way to the top.The problem there is no documentation stating the 'actual' amp rating. The other issue is I'm not sure if it is possible to hit the 15w ceiling while staying within the amp rating since you cannot go over 5v.

The unit DOES have ohm detection, and puff counters (total taken / remaining) as the evic does, but the home screen is NOT customizable. This also means that you cannot change the up/down from VV to VW. This makes using the VW mode somewhat difficult to adjust.

It does NOT have the spin ring like the Evic and rather utilizes the 3 button configuration which I do like. Also the USB port has a better cover (which I wish the Evic had). I often find myself having to use a toothpick or something to open the Evics.

If your curious - no the device does NOT have any computer/pc connectivity - although it will charge from it, and it can/is supposed to be charged via the included USB charger port.

The tube does NOT like to be opened/closed - and the threads feel rather course. Also it does NOT like button cap batteries, and it is a very very tight fit. If you remove the battery you will lose all settings, and stored stuff. (IE: voltage/wattage setting, screen timeouts, current/total puff counter)

It is running pwm just like everything else,, but it is NOT 33 hertz like most chinese variants. I have not been able to get a number from the person I have been talking to and I do not have an O Scope to check =/ BUT it does have that smoother sound/hit like the Evic as opposed to a zmax controlled device. I 'almost' want to say it provides a little smoother hit than the evic though it is very close.

It also has a small speaker - beeps when you hit the buttons and errors/warnings etc. - You can turn this off in the menus though.

As for the price - dont get your hopes up to see this in my opinion. The wholesale price seems a little high to me as compared to the 'real' evic. (Within 15-20$ from what I have seen) Given that the 'real' evic on sale doesnt have near the markup that most mods/apvs do I wouldn't expect many of these being seen in the US/NA market.

2014-02-17 17.06.22.jpg 2014-02-17 17.07.32.jpg 2014-02-17 17.12.41.jpg 2014-02-17 17.14.28.jpg 2014-02-17 17.19.11.jpg

pirgulation

Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Missouri - Usa
Based on what you've posted about the device why would I want to buy one instead of a genuine eVic? Looks less than impressive to me.

In all honesty,, with the fall in Evic prices,, I don't think you would :laugh:

I picked up a brand new Evic the other day online retail for 69$.. I've consistently seen them for ~80-90$. The retail on the Vcig / Clone likely would be ~50-60$ which really doesn't make a whole lot of sense to ME at least.

It is a descent device and does work quite well, but I guess unless you were strapped for that 20-30$ difference, I just don't see it. Then again - some people don't care about PC connectivity? Dont like the twist ring? Heck I dunno. If they fixed a few of the little issues I have with it, it could potentially be a better product minus the MVR software the Evic has.

At a say 40$ online pricetag it might be a different situation.. I guess B&M retail / Online retail the difference is a large gap though, and there could be a spot in there for a 'mid grade' device, as an upgrade over a Ego VV ? I know I've read a couple places where people bought the unit purely for being able to charge it via USB..

irwink

CASAA Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2010
Norfolk, Virginia, USA
It also has a small speaker - beeps when you hit the buttons and errors/warnings etc. - You can turn this off in the menus though.

I might like that a little.

It does NOT have the spin ring like the Evic and rather utilizes the 3 button configuration which I do like. Also the USB port has a better cover (which I wish the Evic had). I often find myself having to use a toothpick or something to open the Evics.

If your curious - no the device does NOT have any computer/pc connectivity - although it will charge from it, and it can/is supposed to be charged via the included USB charger port.

The tube does NOT like to be opened/closed - and the threads feel rather course. Also it does NOT like button cap batteries, and it is a very very tight fit. If you remove the battery you will lose all settings, and stored stuff. (IE: voltage/wattage setting, screen timeouts, current/total puff counter)

I do not like any of that. For me the adjustment via the ring is a plus. PC connectivity is a plus for firmware upgrades. Again, I see nothing that would tempt me to buy one of these unless it was $40 or so.

pirgulation

Verified Member
Feb 3, 2014
Missouri - Usa
Aye - wholesale on these Vcigs is ~30$, and the Evic is right around $50 - from Joyetech (obviously +/-) a bit.. So I just don't see these being something that would be a big seller..

Irwink - I agree with you wholeheartedly, I don't think I would buy one of these in a retail situation (knowing) about the Evic.
The only 'advantage' I found for this over the Evic was the port cover, and the speaker.. Thats really about it,, aside that it has a pile of things where it is inferior. I only grabbed it because I had the opportunity to get a pre-production sample of it, and it intrigued me. I also have more than 1 'real' evic that I like and use =)

There is a newer model that I'm eyeballing that I'm going to try to get ahold of though, that looks like it has a built in OS =P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread