RDA First RDA build - Advice needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

adammg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
USA
Picked up a Stillare rda for 5 dollars at local B&M. It's on an istick, I was messing around with the Kanthal that came with it. Micro coil @ 1.4ohms. Wow sucker hits like a freight train even at 6mg, I'm use to clearos. Flavor I'm not sure on, it's almost over powering or something weird going on. Few questions

i have some 26g Kanthal, how would I build a dual coil and keep it above 1 ohm

I attached a pic one end of cotton through the post other end stuffed under the coil. Do I have too little or too much cotton?

Any tips or advice would be very helpful

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 86

Signmaker

Oct 26, 2014
Berks, Pennsy, 'Murrica
Like roxynoodle said, 26 is just too beefy for a supraohm dual. Try it as a single coil, and you might have something.

Looks like more cotton than I would run, but I tend towards the skimpy side. The important bit is to make sure air can still flow under your coil, and is not blocked by wick. Also you could stand to get the coil a little closer to the outer edge, nearer the air hole. This will help with keeping the flavor crisp.

wshanncap

Verified Member
Oct 28, 2014
Ohio, USA
The coils would depend on how big the inner diameter is. As for your build it would be better to run one end of the cotton through the coil and let the remainder trail around the bottom of the deck (the drip well).
Try this calculator to see what your options would be.
Looks like you could do two coils...each wrapped 14 times around a 1/8 drill. that should come to about 2.03 each making it a total of 1.01 ohms. (take the resistance of one coil and divide by two to get the final ohm of a dual coil build. The smaller the wire (larger AWG number) takes less wraps. So the same build with 28AWG would be 9 wraps for each coil around a 1/8 drill giving 2.02ohms which equals 1.01ohms.
Hope this helps.

MattyTny

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
New York
When you're building for a regulated device such as the Istick, it's better to stick with single coils. There might be some excess airflow since your RDA does not have a single coil airflow option, but it will still work well. You can still do duals, but you're going to need thinner wire with high ohm coils.

I run a single coil using 28 gauge with ~2mm coil ID in my RDA, works very well. You should check out steam engine calculators, play around with some possible builds. As for the wick, it looks fine, I might use shorter tails since you're not really pushing that much power.

Neolithium

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2014
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I'd try 10 wraps of 26 gauge around a 2mm or 5/64" drill bit. It'll give you a little over one ohm for single coil and won't be EXTREMELY large, just need to be more careful on wicking since that's a lot of coil real-estate for juice. Alternatively, drop down to 28 gauge which works very well for >1.0ohm builds.

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
Even if you could wrap enough 26ga to fit inside your RDA and have it hit 1+ ohm, that doesn't mean it would be a good idea. Trust me on this.

I have a VTR, and I built dual 28ga coils, that came out to 0.7ohms. It took 2+ seconds to heat up at 15 watts.

A 1 ohm dual 28ga build might be doable (re, coil lag) with 20 watts, but 26ga would almost certainly not be.

Stick to either 28+ ga single coils, or 30+ ga for dual coils. You're not getting the "new to RDAs" experience if it doesn't feel like you're using dental floss :lol:

ktez71

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2014
WI
I also have an iStick but with a Plume Veil instead. I tried a dual coil build but it took way too long to heat up and didn't have much vapor at all. So I ended up going with a single coil, 28 gauge, 8 wraps around a 1/8 drill bit. Came out at about 1.6 ohms and it works great. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Picked up a Stillare RDA for 5 dollars at local B&M. It's on an iStick, I was messing around with the Kanthal that came with it. Micro coil @ 1.4ohms. Wow sucker hits like a freight train even at 6mg, I'm use to clearos. Flavor I'm not sure on, it's almost over powering or something weird going on. Few questions

i have some 26g Kanthal, how would I build a dual coil and keep it above 1 ohm

I attached a pic one end of cotton through the post other end stuffed under the coil. Do I have too little or too much cotton?

Any tips or advice would be very helpful

To do that you'd end up needing alot more power to run them.

28 gauge needs about 10-15 watts per ohm of coil.
26 gauge probably needs more like 15 to 20 watts per ohm of coil
So if you put two 2 ohm 26 gauge coils in parallel which makes a 1 ohm dual coil, that's 4 ohms of coil total, requiring 60 to 80 watts of power.

adammg

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
USA
Just wanted to give a quick update and major thanks to everyone. I got some 28g w/ 9 wraps around 5/64 bit got about 1.6 ohms. Built 3 coils, first two I snapped with screws but on the third one I got a nice coil and moved it closer to the AFC. Boy oh boy! Even with dual airholes open at half, its got amazing flavor like I've never tasted before and vapor was amazing. Very smooth and no harshness like lastnights attempt. First time I've got a nic buzz since I was at 18mg. I can see why people get addicted to rebuilding. Now I have to track down a igo l drilled out to 2mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread