Status
Not open for further replies.

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
Of course a reasonable person expects to pay more at a b&m but there are many out there ripping new vapers off and more importantly putting people off vaping which isn't good for any of us. Times have changed the internet is not only good for buying stuff but researching it as well I was reading up on vaping for months before taking the plunge and every one is able to do that. First thing I tell anyone interested in switching to vaping is go online read up on it and always research any purchases for best price and customer reviews. Education is the ultimate answer to bad b&m's and will ensure they go outof business quick if they don't change their money grabbing ways. Sadly only a few vape shops within thirty miles of me so online is how I get my stuff.
What a person is able to do & will do are 2 different things. More times than not, vaping is an impulse buy so the act of researching first on the internet didn't factor into their thoughts or purchase. I didn't start researching until after I bought my first kit.

I have 2 friends that are new vapers. For them the ease of going into a B&M is paramount & they'd never do any 'net researching. Neither one cares that they're paying more. For them it's about having it now b/c they're free time is on short supply.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
What a person is able to do & will do are 2 different things. More times than not, vaping is an impulse buy so the act of researching first on the internet didn't factor into their thoughts or purchase. I didn't start researching until after I bought my first kit.

Funny you should say that, I often think that I could have quit smoking a few years before I did if I'd done some homework. I didn't even know what vaping was, but I'd been buying those gas station e-cigs for years before I started vaping - and they never worked for me.

I have 2 friends that are new vapers. For them the ease of going into a B&M is paramount & they'd never do any 'net researching. Neither one cares that they're paying more. For them it's about having it now b/c they're free time is on short supply.
I understand folks like that. And no disrespect intended towards your friends (They're grownups and can do as they please with their money!!) but I have a friend that used to be a car salesman. They had a term for folks like that. They called them "baby seals". :glare:

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
Funny you should say that, I often think that I could have quit smoking a few years before I did if I'd done some homework. I didn't even know what vaping was, but I'd been buying those gas station e-cigs for years before I started vaping - and they never worked for me.

I understand folks like that. And no disrespect intended towards your friends (They're grownups and can do as they please with their money!!) but I have a friend that used to be a car salesman. They had a term for folks like that. They called them "baby seals". :glare:
Well, I wouldn't call them names or define them by how much they spend. I know both leave their homes around 3 am every morning for work & don't get back to their houses til around 7pm…..by then the only thing they've time to do is sleep & start the next day the same way. No time for internet researching vape gear & prices so the convenience of B&M meets their needs.

rurwin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2014
Leicester, UK
Well, I wouldn't call them names or define them by how much they spend. I know both leave their homes around 3 am every morning for work & don't get back to their houses til around 7pm…..by then the only thing they've time to do is sleep & start the next day the same way. No time for internet researching vape gear & prices so the convenience of B&M meets their needs.

Good for them. I couldn't do that. I hope it makes them happy. However it seems to me that a store that limits itself to such people is not going to have many customers. Maybe that's why they have to charge so much.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana

Me too. One day someone told my wife about Evods. I went up to the store and bought a couple of starter kits. Before that I thought cigalikes were all there was. I used the Evod for several months before I started looking around the internet. A lot of people probably never get around to searching the internet, so there will always be a place for shops. Not everyone will want to do research and compare shops and so forth. A lot of vapers will go on paying more than they need to and not getting the best gear for their needs. It's the same for everything we buy, but there are only so many hours in the day and life is complicated. You have to pick the areas you want to invest time in.

Reactions: K_Tech

HDVaper

Ultra Super Senior Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
www.oktom.com
I've been doing this long enough to know what I want, what I like and where to get it. Online is my choice. I've never been in a local B&M where the people acted like they give a .... so I just stopped going. They seem like they think, "if you're stupid enough to come in here and pay these prices then you deserve to be treated like an idiot because, evidently, you are". My question is why would you feel like you need to support businesses that treats customers they way they do? I'm starting my 3rd year being smoke-free and haven't missed the local shops at all.

kagee_va

Mar 28, 2014
Winchester, VA

I bought an Altantis 2 from my local B&M yesterday...I didn't know the cheapest price online but I knew it was new (from reading reviews online) and I'm glad they had one. They told me 45 bucks and later I found out it was about 5 bucks more than most online places. I paid sales tax, and didn't pay shipping. I also bought some ejuice that was flying off the shelf because it was popular -- so I figured it was a good risk. I haven't always had luck when I get new flavors online. They probably made more money off the juice than the tank.

My point is, that I didn't have to wait and I got to see the Atlantis 2, mess with the airflow adjusters and hold it before I bought it, and the guy at the store knew that I liked a fruity ejuice so that is the one he recommended. You just can't get that service online, and I'm willing to pay a few bucks for that. Good customer service deserves it IMO.

Reactions: KattMamma

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
Is there really such a thing as a certified mixologist? Where dose one get such a cert?

I'll have to read the certificate he has hanging in the store next time I go in there!

Clark of Nicoticket is a certified mixologist so, yes, there must be such a process.
Would this mean anyone who sells ejuice has to be a certified mixologist? Also what mixes are they certified to make? I'm curious about all of this. Where does one go to become a certified mixologist? Hell even bartenders call themselves mixologist.

Reactions: KattMamma

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
I bought an Altantis 2 from my local B&M yesterday...I didn't know the cheapest price online but I knew it was new (from reading reviews online) and I'm glad they had one. They told me 45 bucks and later I found out it was about 5 bucks more than most online places. I paid sales tax, and didn't pay shipping. I also bought some ejuice that was flying off the shelf because it was popular -- so I figured it was a good risk. I haven't always had luck when I get new flavors online. They probably made more money off the juice than the tank.

My point is, that I didn't have to wait and I got to see the Atlantis 2, mess with the airflow adjusters and hold it before I bought it, and the guy at the store knew that I liked a fruity ejuice so that is the one he recommended. You just can't get that service online, and I'm willing to pay a few bucks for that. Good customer service deserves it IMO.
And you also can't get that same level of service from every B&M. Attitudes vary greatly. I've been to quite a few that treated me like they couldn't be bothered yet I can count on one hand the stores that want my repeat business.

TaketheRedPill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2009
Southern California
Because startups are buying just like you and me, in onesies and fivesies, they get crap pricing and they have to pass that on to the consumer, along with the cost of actually keeping on-hand inventory. I'd bet some startups are buying from the same places we know to buy from. And I'd bet, unlike some online shops, they don't have dropship contracts with wholesalers. So I don't blame the store person for asking you to hold wholesale pricing information close - you're an insider now.

Most people didn't know much about equipment or eliquid when they first came to this forum. I didn't. Now I can rattle off chips and mods to match. We've gained valuable knowledge and access to wholesale pricing and group buys. We've even learned how to DIY eliquid. But how much real 'seen' activism does the average buyer participate in besides extolling the virtues of vape to a vew buddies? That's where the B&Ms come in - they're our advocates. Or they'll be our sour grapes. Either or. Go buy a juice you don't need, stick it in the closet for a christmas stocking stuffer, and thank them for supporting the vaping community. Maybe talk to them a bit about different websites. Or what might best sell in your area. Who knows? maybe that new owner will be looking for someone to hold classes once a week at their place or help with meets or spend an afternoon wrapping coils for pay? Learn how to turn vinegar into wine, and life will be good to you.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
I'll have to read the certificate he has hanging in the store next time I go in there!

Clark of Nicoticket is a certified mixologist so, yes, there must be such a process.

It makes since just never herd of such. Its nice to know there is some sort of standard for people making juice to go buy other than just eyeball and counting drops. I wonder where thy get the training? Is it on line or is three a juice making school. Or maybe its just for mixing all sorts of chemicals.

-Tahsa-

Apr 25, 2015
There are plenty of online shops who are outrageously expensive. Think about the ones looking for new vapers who want a setup that looks like a cigarette, they are the worst. A lot of vapers know they paid too much to get started but are still grateful that they had help making the transition. There is room for all under this tent.

Reactions: englishmick

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA

I can definitely relate to that. There are times at work when 12-16 hour days become the norm. During those periods all I can manage is eat, sleep, shower, work, repeat.

Me too. One day someone told my wife about Evods. I went up to the store and bought a couple of starter kits. Before that I thought cigalikes were all there was. I used the Evod for several months before I started looking around the internet. A lot of people probably never get around to searching the internet, so there will always be a place for shops. Not everyone will want to do research and compare shops and so forth. A lot of vapers will go on paying more than they need to and not getting the best gear for their needs. It's the same for everything we buy, but there are only so many hours in the day and life is complicated. You have to pick the areas you want to invest time in.

I got lucky in a sense in that one day I say a "vaping" video while just blindly browsing YouTube. That led me to more videos, and this forum. Had it not been for that first video, I don't know where I'd be, there really aren't any vapers around where I live.

Reactions: ScandaLeX
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread