Status
Not open for further replies.

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
I heard somebody say this exact same thing, my interest is now peaked & I'll have to do some Scooby-Doo investigating

You know anyone can buy a printer these days right?
There is no such thing as a certified mixologist, in fact there is no such thing as a e-juice mixologist in the eyes of anyone outside the vaping community.
That makes getting certified pretty hard.

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
You know anyone can buy a printer these days right?
There is no such thing as a certified mixologist, in fact there is no such thing as a e-juice mixologist in the eyes of anyone outside the vaping community.
That makes getting certified pretty hard.
I couldn't agree with you more. Only problem is this kind of knowledge is hard to convey to anyone who believes their favorite juice makers wouldn't make this up.

Reactions: Asbestos4004

JMarca

E-Cig Afficionado
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 19, 2013
New York
A "certified" mixologist is a person/vendor who has met the standards of the American E-Liquid Manufacturing Standards Association (AEMSA).

For more details on the standards, and certification process, check out AEMSA.org

"in the eyes of anyone outside the vaping community"
Not a single person outside of th vaping community believes such a term even exists, just because AEMSA said so doesn't make it law.

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
A "certified" mixologist is a person/vendor who has met the standards of the American E-Liquid Manufacturing Standards Association (AEMSA).

For more details on the standards, and certification process, check out AEMSA.org

AEMSA is nothing more than an "association" of 23 B&M vape shops. None of their board members are chemists, none are doctors, as far as I can tell none have any prior experience outside of working in a B&M vape shop. They have hired 3 chemists and one doctor to act as consultants. One specializes on how light interacts with biological molecules, one specializes on developing R&D processes for big pharma companies, and only one actually has working experience with nicotine products. They also employee a Greek doctor who doesn't even live in the US to write pro-vaping articles and letters for them. The doctor is actually a cardiologist and does not do any extensive research on the subject of eliquids and their potential toxicity.

In otherwords, it's little more than a group of vape shops with some paid shills who give them the illusion of authority. Out of the entire organization there is only one single person who has any actual scientific knowledge and professional experience relating to ecigarette use and eliquids, and he's nothing more than a paid consultant.

One of their biggest misleading claims on their website is "Three of these four ingredient components are already FDA approved food grade ingredients commonly used in many foods and other consumables." ... While this claim is technically true, it should be noted that NONE of the ingredients have been FDA approved for inhalation in concentrated amounts. They are approved to be eaten and rubbed on the skin, but not converted into vapor and inhaled.

Last edited:

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
They also employee a Greek doctor who doesn't even live in the US to write pro-vaping articles and letters for them. The doctor is actually a cardiologist and does not do any extensive research on the subject of eliquids and their potential toxicity.
Dr. Farsalinos is actually a well-respected member of the vaping community, and certainly does do extensive research on eliquids, toxicity and otherwise.

Here's his website for more info: Electronic Cigarette | www.ecigarette-research.com

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
I've bought a couple of things from my B&M. I'll pay their price if I need it NOW, or want to see it, hold it, before I decide to buy it. I won't shop there and then buy it online though. They really don't carry much that I'm interested in so I rarely go in. I called them when the isticks came out, and they didn't even know what it was. That could have been an "I want one now" sale. But when they finally got them they were $70!
They serve a purpose for smokers looking to quit, and I am not responsible for those people getting a good deal. I quit worrying about it.

CallmeRage

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2014
Queens,NY,USA
Obviously stores do need to sell for a bit more to stay in business. Found a new store semi close to where i live. I dont mind dropping the extra 10-20 bucks for hardware if the store is nice. His prices were so good i almost didnt believe it (30mls for 20bucks 15mls for 10, istick 30w for 40 or 45 i forgot).. Politely excused himself to go help another customer, helped me look for the right juice, talked about hardware, even gave me some free house juice. I told him that those prices were extremely good for a b&m and he told me that he just wants to make enough to keep the doors open help people quit smoking. One of the best things is that he has 2 showcases; one of clones and one of authenics. I've witnessed firsthand other b&m sell clones for the price of authentics. His store is a bit far but id rather go to there than a local one near mine that's the way you described your experience.

Reactions: BlueCanary

loganmacallum1

Oct 16, 2014
NC
I actually only go to one shop now. for this exact reason. I got my mvp3, subtank mini, and a 15ml bottle of cosmic fog for 120 out the door. I have ended up developing a great friendship with the owner. theres nothing better then being able to hangout at the shop for a few hours and just vape and talk new devices coming out, cars, crazy things we did when we were younger and that we both think one day someone will turn a car battery into a vape and roll it in on a little red wagon. His mark ups arent high in my opinion. 12.00 for a 15ml of any brand. The shop is also extremely involved in the local community. We wanted a skate park, So a fundraiser started and warehouses are being looked at right now for a spot. but ive been to a different shop that wanted 5.00 for a taste and 22.00 for 15mls Needless to say, there will be bad people in the business but there will also be great people. My advice is to find a local shop thats got great prices and great staff and just go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread