First RTA and coil build flavor issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisaott86

May 3, 2017
hello. I got my first rta, the troll, which I love! I am using it on the Kaos, which I love as well. I built my first coil, which scared me to death , it didn't blow up so I am happy about that! It's is a 26ga dual coil. So here is my question...I am getting some spitback. I vape at 60watts, I have tried to go higher but it is too hot. I believe it was 6-7 wraps? I like a smooth semi cool hit with as much flavor as possible. Any suggestions on what I should do? What kind of wire? What ga? Dual or single? More wraps? I am new at this so I do not want to try Clapton or alien, because that is too far advanced for me. You guys were awesome before and am counting on you again ! I have no doubt you can help me.

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
Let's start with the build you have...... 26ga dual coil? What kind of wire? Loose or tight draw? How was your last atty setup and vaped?

I start new atties using Unflavored juice and a target wattage. Then do builds till I hit on a good vape........ I also model build beforehand on steam-engine.org
Once I hit on a build that feels right... I switch to favorite flavor or whatever I'm vaping in the THAT day tank. On my regulated mod adjusting to get good flavor is usually just a few clicks up or down, unless I'm just way off for the atty. On a mech it means a new build..... in both cases it could mean the wick is wrong. Flavor vs no flavor could just be this drip tip vs that one.

Anyway as you can see I need more info .

Spitting could just be the wick... temp the position of the coil. Flavor you name it that's the problem.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Hi

Petabread

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2014
Miami, FL
hello. I got my first RTA, the troll, which I love! I am using it on the Kaos, which I love as well. I built my first coil, which scared me to death , it didn't blow up so I am happy about that! It's is a 26ga dual coil. So here is my question...I am getting some spitback. I vape at 60watts, I have tried to go higher but it is too hot. I believe it was 6-7 wraps? I like a smooth semi cool hit with as much flavor as possible. Any suggestions on what I should do? What kind of wire? What ga? Dual or single? More wraps? I am new at this so I do not want to try Clapton or Alien, because that is too far advanced for me. You guys were awesome before and am counting on you again ! I have no doubt you can help me.
As 93gc40 said, we'd need more info to be helpful. The biggest help would be a picture of your build/wicking.

Spitback, when I get it, is usually because I'm not using enough wick. If you're not using enough wick, the wick you do have in place will get super saturated and either cause a straight up leak or make a lot of popping noise and cause spitback.

Another reason it could happen to me is because I'm running a build at higher wattages than the build should normally use.

The last reason I could come up with comes down to the juice you're using. If you're using a thinner juice, you'll usually need more cotton than if you were using a thicker, max VG juice.

Without seeing your build or having more info, that's really all the advise I could provide.

I'll tell you this tho - just about every RTA you get will require you to play around with your build/wicking technique to get it working right/providing the vape you're looking for. So don't be afraid to tear it all apart and try again or try something new. That's the beauty/difference between rebuilding and stock proprietary coils - you're able to tailor it the way you want it!

Reactions: Heartsdelight

lisaott86

May 3, 2017
I will get a pic uploaded as soon as I can. I built another one tonight and added an extra wrap. That seems to have helped. The juice I am using is chubby bubble, it seems really thick. I have a few others nothing below 70/30. I understand that I need to play around with it to get it right. Thank you for your responses! Again I will get a pic loaded tomorrow.

Reactions: Petabread

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I will get a pic uploaded as soon as I can. I built another one tonight and added an extra wrap. That seems to have helped. The juice I am using is chubby bubble, it seems really thick. I have a few others nothing below 70/30. I understand that I need to play around with it to get it right. Thank you for your responses! Again I will get a pic loaded tomorrow.

I agree with the previous posters. Popping can be minimized, but there will always be times when your wick is starved or sagging or your wattage is too high for the wick you have installed.

Any space between the wick and the coil will cause hot vapes and spitting/popping. That happens because any part of the coil that isn't fully filled can be a hot spot. The wet wick acts as a heat sink to prevent hot spots. The cure is a slightly larger wick diameter.

You want a wick to be snug enough in the coil to fill all space available. When you install the wick it should puff up slightly on each end of he coil. Some of us refer to that as a coil having "shoulders". This tells you that the part of the wick that's inside the coil is tight enough to fill the coil. The wick should slide back and forth slightly if you pull gently on the ends, but you should feel a little resistance as you do that. If the coil legs bend back and forth it's too tight. I like a wick that requires me to twist it slowly while pulling it through.

The wick ends should be down inside the deck;s juice wells or laying on the deck far enough to constantly be in contact with the juice wells or the coil's juice deck surface. A wick that isn't touching the deck will contribute to a hot vape. Some decks have juice wells that you stuff the wick down inside. A wick that isn't touching juice will contribute to coil starving and a starved coil will pop, snap, and deliver hot vapes.

You probably won't ever completely eliminate occasional spitting, but you can minimize it by paying attention to the way you wick. As you try different wicking methods you'll develop a feel for what works and what doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread