• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

First time making liquids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Well, for the first question there's a lot of "it depends" there. First there is your personal preference for how much throat hit you want. Then it depends on what kind of gear you are using. 50% PG might be good for you in most clearos, but if you are dripping using an rda with a low ohm coil build then that much PG is usually overkill and way too harsh. It's probably best to start with what you know: If you have no plans on changing your hardware and you like the balance of throat hit and vapor production you are getting from your current liquids, then find out what the PG/VG ratio is for what you are currently buying and use that as a guide for your DIY.

If you haven't found this part of ECF yet, here is your bus load of information on all aspects of DIY: DIY E-Liquid

Someone from the UK side of the pond will need to step forward for the 'where to buy' questions.

dw117

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2014
Kernow
I've currently got a kanger subtank using the pre built occ coil at 0.5 ohms, the liquid is 50/50 and I'm vaping at about 25w most the time, it can sometimes be a bit harsh, would you suggest with this set up reduce the pg to get a better vaping experience?

That could help the harsh throat hit but it also depends on what level of the nic you're vaping.

For the subtank mini OCC coils you could probably go up to 60 or 70% VG no problem. Could maybe go higher I'm not sure.

Shirtbloke

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2014
UK
Yes that's all you need to get started and you can make juice as good as store bought juice with it for a fraction of the price.

I'm a fan of the Inawera flavours - they're highly concentrated - I've never used more than 5% in a mix - and they generally taste exactly like the name says. As for recommendations it depends entirely on what you like to vape, but if you're anything like me you'll buy some that seems like you'll like it but never really use it, and some that'll become your all day vape. Experimentation is the name of the game.

If you like tobaccos try the Tobacco Absolutes - they're made from real tobacco leaf and have a complexity to them that something made from a bunch of chemicals doesn't. Also if you are missing the "ashy" taste from smoking try the DNB (Dirty Neutral Base), which is a terrible name for something but I add to almost everything I make. I didn't realise I missed the ashiness until I tried it. It helps keep me off tobacco.

You might also like to get some EM (ethyl Maltol) which in small quantities adds sweetness and body to a liquid - in larger quantities it tastes exactly like candy floss.

Other than that just buy the flavours you think you'll like. There's lots of reviews here......
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/477601-inawera-few-reviews.html

Shirtbloke

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2014
UK
So if I was to buy a 12mg vpg I could just add a flavour and I'm done? And im guessing that is just a different brand? Suppose I could start off just doing that then experiment over time with different pg and vg levels

That's the simplest way to start off. I think it's the same brand/quality just mixed with PG & VG instead of just one.

Darren89

Mar 28, 2015
Wirral
Yes that's all you need to get started and you can make juice as good as store bought juice with it for a fraction of the price.

I'm a fan of the Inawera flavours - they're highly concentrated - I've never used more than 5% in a mix - and they generally taste exactly like the name says. As for recommendations it depends entirely on what you like to vape, but if you're anything like me you'll buy some that seems like you'll like it but never really use it, and some that'll become your all day vape. Experimentation is the name of the game.

If you like tobaccos try the Tobacco Absolutes - they're made from real tobacco leaf and have a complexity to them that something made from a bunch of chemicals doesn't. Also if you are missing the "ashy" taste from smoking try the DNB (Dirty Neutral Base), which is a terrible name for something but I add to almost everything I make. I didn't realise I missed the ashiness until I tried it. It helps keep me off tobacco.

You might also like to get some EM (ethyl Maltol) which in small quantities adds sweetness and body to a liquid - in larger quantities it tastes exactly like candy floss.

Other than that just buy the flavours you think you'll like. There's lots of reviews here......
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/477601-inawera-few-reviews.html

cheers for all this info :)

so im thinking of buying vpg 54mg nic (so I can dilute)
a bottle of vg and a bottle of pg and some flavours and the starter kit

does this sound like a good start or would you recommend a lower nic level base? and how long does it last before it goes bad? again sorry for all the questions

Darren89

Mar 28, 2015
Wirral
That's a good start. If you're mixing up 12mg 100ml of 54mg will make you 450ml of mixture so make sure you get enough VG & PG to dilute (200ml of each should do it). Nic should last for 12 months if you keep it in the fridge or freezer - just make sure it's not easily grabbable if you've got kids in the house.

once again I really do appreciate the advice im guessing the flavourings being vg or pg based doesn't really matter as I could just adjust my mix to suit, my last question for now is how long do you let it sit once mixed before using it? I promise I will leave you alone now :)

Shirtbloke

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2014
UK
Depends on the flavours. Fruits are generally ready to vape as soon as they're mixed. More complex flavours like tobaccos improve with age - at least a week, preferably longer though that can be shortened to 24 hours by using heat. I leave mine on top of the radiator for 24 hrs then let them sit and cool down but a 5 second blast in a microwave can work also. And don't forget to give them a really good shake before and after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread