First time post long time frustrated vaping experience. I have questions. VmodXL owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello ECF and members. First I want to thank the people responsible for keeping this forum well maintained and regulated. :toast: My name is Peter. I have been a smoker for almost 10 years. I have been trying this vaping thing off and on for the past few years. My current job is driving a truck for a construction company so I don't get the advantage of an office type setting. vaping while working in construction is not an easy condition. I drive most of the day but I do labor for an hour or so at a time. About a little over a year ago I started with blu. Yes I know. :facepalm: I then stopped for while. I tried vaping again witin these past few months. Like an idiot I thought maybe blu improved. :D again :facepalm:. I did more research and bought an ego-c starter kit with Johnson Creek liquid samples. I was blown away at first but after the first week there were leaks. Then I changed carts attys too often. I wasn't getting much success with it givin my working environment. I was about to make a purchase on a provari and saw the vivi novas but held back and I wanted to do more research. I saw where vaping was going and knew that feeder mods were the way to go and I know that they would hold up better in my working environment. I wanted to get the Reo but I wanted to wait and get the VV version coming out in a few weeks. Given that they will be sold quickly I wanted to get something quicker and that led me to the VmodXL. It just arrived today and I have questions. First do I need to charge the batteries that came with it before use? One battery came with the kit and I ordered 2 more batts. I'm currently vaping it though. I am using the Hybrid bottom feeding attys from Vapage in 2.0 ohms. I am using Johnson Creek Original PG based Tennessee Cured. The device is not terrible but there isn't much vapor or throat hit. If I need to fully charge the batt that could be one issue. I know that the battery for Vapge is a 3.7 volt. Using a 3.7 volt batt with a 2.0 ohm atty would not be the best I think. I would need to lower the ohm or up the voltage. Is there a 5 volt battery compatible with the Vapage or will I just have to lower ohms. I ordered a Hybrid 1.5 ohm atty from Vapage to see if that will improve vapor and TH. Also let me just say Dekang liquid is terrible tasting. I have a 2 30ml bottles of liquid from Tasty Vapor that just arrived but I don't want to use it until it steeps. Given the type of eliquid I like what would be the best attys to use with the Vapage XL. I don't want cartomizers as I like the dripping method so I'm on the lookout for a good bottom feeding atty. I am more a fan of 510 attys. Also on other attys will I have to do anything special to them for it to work with the Vapage XL? What about the batteries? Also what make the 306 special, and the HH .3 something attys do for this? I am also using the best stainless steel drip tip from Super T. I am open to other atty's that work well. Give me input. I'm all ears.

Dana A

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Iowa
Hi and welcome to the ECF. I think you want to just get the lowest ohm you can find. Stacking batteries is not really that safe. Also for now untill you get your LR atty try holding down the firing button for 3 seconds before you take a drag. That will warm the vapor before you draw it out giving more flavor and better TH. Some things that will up the throat hit are higher nicotine, hotter vapor(lower ohms or VV) and less VG more PG. Finding your best set up can be frustrating but I promise it gets better. If you just keep at it and don't give up you WILL find the best vape. I own the V Mod XL and the Provari and the Provari can solve most any vaping puzzle threw VV and the use of tanks but I will never give up my V Mod either. I am going to buy the kick for my V mod so I can up the watts/volts to really heat up my vapor. I love being able to adjust the warmth to suit each juice and adding the Kick to my V Mod will accomplish that for me with it. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask more questions if you have them. I hope this helps. Also when you don't get hardly any vapor you may have the atty flooded. If it gurgles it's flooded but if it sizzles or crackles it's OK.If you think it is flooded just take out the atty and blow from the mouth end in to a paper towel and the excess will come out. I flooded my V mod a lot at 1st and got little vapor.

Last edited:

Dana A

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Iowa
Also yea you should fully charge your batteries when you get them. I think some attys have a bit of a break in period but I think you should be ok to just put a few drops in and wait a few mins and vape. You should check out the V mod XL thread. There is a lot of info on attys on there. I use the silos so I won't be much help there.

Dana A

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Iowa
The kick is a add on adjustable wattage module. It is breathing new life in to many 3.7 volt mods. I am having trouble posting a link for you but you can just search the forum or google the kick by evolv and read up on it. Unfortunately like every high demand vaping product it is out of stock every where. I am trying to get my hands on one for my V Mod as well.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
You're on the right track...
1. go lower in Ohms (resistance) ... you'll get more vapor. depending on the atomizer, some have more flavor, some hit hotter than others even with the same resistance. So going the LR route will solve your issue, but you will need to find the right atomizer. (You also have LR from 1.5 to 2.0 Ohms and in between).
I think the reason Vapage sends the 2.0 is because they want to please the average vaper, but imo the average vaper today wants more bang out of their vape. (when this vaping thing started SR attys were the norm for 3.7 mods.)

On my XL I personally like the Avidvaper 1.5 bridgeless Aero - it's not hot for a 1.5, lots of vapor and taste. IF you want lots of vapor and good throat hit, I'd suggest their Cisco spec 1.5 Ohm 510 or 306.... check out the XL thread to see if 306 fits the XL. I also like a 1.5 Ikenvape i06 on my XL.
You might enjoy the cheaper 510 or 306 LR 1.5's too... they are damn good for the price. Valuevapor is a good vendor for conventional atomizers.

The HH357 is a $22 atomizer. They are my favorite and are heads and shoulders above the rest; but perhaps not worth the 3 or 4 times the price.
To me it is. I've been vaping for almost 2 years, mostly dripping and i've bought practically all the high end mods, so i have the $ for it.
Yet I find that with a HH357 LR 1.5, i get just as good a vape on an eGo batt as i do on a $200 mod. They need breaking in, and care taken not to dry it out to make it last.
What makes it the best? It's the flavor; can't beat it. Vapor is good, but no other atomizer will bring out the taste of your juice like the 357 and that includes the touted Genesis and Odyseus rebuildables. ( i have those too, and so far I haven't been able to improve on the HH357).
Dang things don't last me more than a couple weeks though... many have gotten them to last 5 months though.

2. Like Dana says, some like a warmer vape... to each their own. So far with my VV's I don't really prefer an SR or HV over an LR... it's subjective. At least with the VV you know you can use ANY atomizer.

tricci

ECF Veteran
May 7, 2011
Philadelphia
I'm a Vmod XL owner. I love this mod, it's my walking around mod. My best advice is to go to Smartvapes and pick up some 1.8 ohm 510 and 306 Dripping Atomizers (they feed just fine) and a couple of their Panasonic 18650 batteries. That combination of atty and battery is something special. Getting a kick is a good idea, but they are hard to come by.

Thanks everyone! I just want to make sure that any attys I buy will work with the XL. So attys that will work with the XL will be bridge-less or dripping attys? I will have to try the HH357. I found a kick on NHaler. It says that it can only be used with IMR 18500. They sell the kick and the batts. They also have a 5 volt NiMH batt that is a 18650 size. I think that will work in the XL too. So I'll have to play around with batt configuration and atty ohm selection and brand until I find the right vape for me. No problem. Just have to spend a bit more lol. At least I know what liquid I like. I know that Johnson Creek gets mixed reviews but I like it. I am really anxious to try my Tasty Vapor that just arrived. Have to wait till it steeps.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
In the long run, you will have more consistency and less hassle with a good 5 volt model PV or variable volt/watt model. The Provari, along with the Darwin are the top of the line variables that really can't be beat. I also am in the car 10 - 12 hours many days and the Darwin is perfect for that situation. It provides 21+ hours on a charge for heavy vapers plus it doubles as a pass-through allowing you to charge and vape at the same time.

In the less expensive category, I would suggest you look at the 5 volt GLV2 which comes with a lifetime warranty or the selectable/variable EVO. There is also the 5 volt GLV3 which is a "feeder" 5 volt model PV. Both have many solid reviews:

GLV-2 Electronic Cigarette [GLV-2] - $120.00 : Electronic Cigarettes and E-Liquid - Great Lakes Vapor

http://www.greatlakesvapor.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=97

EVO 2.1

Although you can get warmer vapor with LR attys/cartos, higher voltage provides warmer vapor with more consistency since LR attys/cartos degrade quickly and are inconsistent.

Last edited:
read through the Vmod sections. I ordered a HH357 Custom LR 1.5 510, and LR 1.5 bridgeless Cisco spec from Avid Vapor to try. I also ordered two 5volt NiMH batts with charger from NHaler. I'll try these systems first. The 5volt batts I will use with my current 2.0 ohm AMG Hybrids from Vapage. One of these configurations is bound to work well. I most likely won't use the HH357 solely because of the cost. The Aero was out of stock on Avid Vapor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread