RDA First Time Rebuilding -- Ohms Law Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCP1991

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2017
Hey Guys,

So I've always used stock coils and about the closest I ever got to using an actual RBA was the Geek Vape Eagle tank that came with the prebuilt decks. However, after getting tired of cleaning out tanks just to enjoy all the great vape juice flavors out there, I decided to go ahead and purchase a Govad RDA and some premade coils from a company called MKWS. Everything arrived today and I was able to install a 0.28 SS-316 Alien on the build deck (clamps make it very easy), think I did a good job removing the hot spots, and wicked the thing up with some organic cotton. So far, I'm loving it -- great flavor and I'm able to try out all my favorite juices. That said, I've been keeping the wattage on the lower end as I'm a bit confused about ohms law and best vaping wattages.

Based on what I see when using an Ohms Law Calculator, the read outs seem only to apply to non variable wattage or mech mods. I have the Govad sitting a top a Innokin Coolfire TC100 which is variable voltage and wattage and so I'm not really sure how to apply the ohms reader to my current set up. Also, is there any way of figuring out what wattage is best to use? And, since it is a SS 316 coil, could I technically run it in TC. I apologize for the newb questions but I don't want to make a mistake and face any explosions or other scary issues.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Read this: Calculating Draw on Regulated Devices

Yes, you can run SS 316L in Temperature Control or Wattage.

To "find" best wattage, the best thing to do is to start low (what is "low" for a given coil will vary) and go up in increments of 5W or so until you hit your sweet spot. What works for me may not work for you.

Reactions: sonicbomb

RCP1991

ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2017
Read this: Calculating Draw on Regulated Devices

Yes, you can run SS 316L in Temperature Control or Wattage.

To "find" best wattage, the best thing to do is to start low (what is "low" for a given coil will vary) and go up in increments of 5W or so until you hit your sweet spot. What works for me may not work for you.

Thanks for your response. I guess my question is: do I even need to worry about calculating such perimeters or will my regulated device simply figure this stuff out for me. I thought the Coolfire IV had various protections to make sure you can't short a battery or fire the mod in a way which could cause danger. The simple question is, do I need to worry about something blowing up or can I just adjust the wattage as I want?

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
Thanks for your response. I guess my question is: do I even need to worry about calculating such perimeters or will my regulated device simply figure this stuff out for me. I thought the Coolfire IV had various protections to make sure you can't short a battery or fire the mod in a way which could cause danger. The simple question is, do I need to worry about something blowing up or can I just adjust the wattage as I want?

I wouldn't worry about it because the board "regulated" part of the mod figures that out for you. It is a good thing to learn in case in the future you want to get into unregulated or mechs you will know what/how to build to suit the vape you are looking for using whatever cells you are using. I use mechs and unregulated (I build my own parallel and series unregulated mods)mostly but I do have a couple regulated devices (RX200s and RX300) which I wouldn't give up my mechs for but do tend to take a couple hits off of them every once in a while. The only time I really use them is when I'm making up a new recipe for a juice so I can taste it as I'm getting the flavor % where I want them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ddirtyvapes

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
^Agreed. There's never any harm in arming yourself with more information, is there? But your device will mostly do it for you, assuming it's working correctly obviously.

The simple answer is you can adjust the wattage as you want. If your (specific, regulated) mod can fire it, you're good to go.

I actually forgot that the Coolfire IV 100W TC had a built in battery and I'm pretty sure the linked blog post deals with 18650 mods almost exclusively, but it's still a good read.

Honestly, IMO any vaper using advanced devices and/or subohming should have a passing knowledge of ohm's law. But no, you do not need to be intimately familiar with ohm's law or even the linked blog post with a modern regulated mod. I just think it's invaluable knowledge for someone who is using high powered builds, which you certainly are. Not all regulated devices have the smartest limits on their boards, but most do.

Reactions: Wheelin247

2GLR

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2012
Cedar Rapids
Regulated or unregulated, it is always good to understand how much draw (amps) you have on your battery(ies). Example: if you are vaping at 50 watts on your regulated device, 50 watts divided by 3.2 volts (normal lowest acceptable voltage of your battery)=15.625 amps. Assuming your regulated device is 85% efficient (divide by .85), =18.4 amps. That is acceptable draw for most quality high drain 18650's out there. Knowing the cold resistance of your coil is good for figuring out if something has happened to it, while you ask yourself, "Why does this taste funny?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread