First time setup? Ithaka

Status
Not open for further replies.

justinred

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2012
PH
You need to get some non-resistance wire. 29-32ga 999 soft silver or pure nickel wire will do. In the mean time, you can set it up with the 1 pre-made wire that came with your ithaka. Doubling or tripling up you kanthal will also work while you wait for your NR order to arrive. As hsan said, tutorial videos will help a lot. Congrats on your new toy.

Drake_Denoyer

Mar 22, 2013
Dallas, TX
Hey guys, I'm having trouble also. I have 3mm silica with about a six wrap of 30 gauge kanthal and nickel which I twist. Im not getting any vapor at all, when I know this thing is a steam machine. I'm getting less flavor and less of a throat hit than I would be from a cartomizer at this point. I have my wicks in the X formation, I have a fresh 18650 in there, I'm using the native connection on my GGTS, and this probably my 10th build of it in the past 3 days and I can't seem to get it right. I've watched JC west's set up, Scott bonner's video, bishop's video, imeo's video, and I'm following exactly what they're telling me to do, I just can't get the fantastic vape out of this thing that everyone describes. Any tips, or help will be greatly appreciated! I would even make a video showing me setting it up if it would help get to the bottom of it. My ithaka is a beautiful peacock, and I want it to fly!!!

Ariel_MX

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 15, 2010
Guadalajara, México
Hey guys, I'm having trouble also. I have 3mm silica with about a six wrap of 30 gauge kanthal and nickel which I twist. Im not getting any vapor at all, when I know this thing is a steam machine. I'm getting less flavor and less of a throat hit than I would be from a cartomizer at this point. I have my wicks in the X formation, I have a fresh 18650 in there, I'm using the native connection on my GGTS, and this probably my 10th build of it in the past 3 days and I can't seem to get it right. I've watched JC west's set up, Scott bonner's video, bishop's video, imeo's video, and I'm following exactly what they're telling me to do, I just can't get the fantastic vape out of this thing that everyone describes. Any tips, or help will be greatly appreciated! I would even make a video showing me setting it up if it would help get to the bottom of it. My ithaka is a beautiful peacock, and I want it to fly!!!

What is the final resistance you are getting with that setup?

Check that there are not any burrs where the center post enters the ceramic housing (burrs can cause shorts).

Check that NR wires are not shorting in some place, it is easy to provoke small shorts when securing the NR wires, I take special care with the ones that are secured by the plastic nut (negatives), because as I tend to give two turns around the negative pole, sometimes after trim he excess NR wire, I have saw that are very close to where the positive wires pass.

Check that the bottom coil is not touching the center post top nut.

Try using a thinner wire gauge, thicker wires have less resistance, but there is also more material to heat, power is shared by both coils.

Those are the things that come to mind. :)

xtreme101

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2013
New York
When setting up the Ithika we all know there no best setup since there are many different variables that come into play. Please gve your Ithika wick & coil recipe. A recipe gives exact details of ingredients and amounts. I am sure lots of newbs would like to know what some of the seasoned vapers are doing. So tell us in more detail (type of wick, wire type and gauge of resistance and non-resistance etc.) what you are doing to get that juice vaporized in your Ithica to your satisfaction.

Thanks to all that contribute.

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
your wire is too thick Drake. Try a thinner one (34 or 35) and then try the suggestions of Ariel and xtreme

Kataphraktos

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 1, 2013
New York, NY
Yea I was doing 4/3 wraps of 30gauge and I was feeling like I wasnt getting much vapor at all coming from my ithaka which I got yesterday!
I brought it to my vape shop and we all drooled over it, Imeo your the man!! I love it...

When I get off work this morning imma try a run at it again with some 32 gauge

I get similar issues with 32g. The vape is good but not great. I assume, as stated above, there is just too much metal to heat up. When I tried a dual coil setup with 32g, it was unworkable when trying for 1.3 ohms - it would take 6-7 drags to get a decent vape, because it took so long for the metal to heat up. Imeo mentioned 34g or 35g above - I'm ordering some 35g to try out next.

Bishopheals

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Staten Island
www.youtube.com
Its all in how you make the coils. Silver is real good but as some of you know its very delicate. I would never recommend pure silver to someone learning how to build coils. After they been building coils for several months then they can attempt to try it and they will notice difference then.

there are so many types of coil builds that we can go on and on its a matter of finding what works for you. We all vape different from sub ohms and yet coils are created really different. We have a lot of vids on coil building the best part is that you have an Ithaka and not many do. So now you can takle your time and enjoy all the different kinds of coil builds and see what is best for you.

Live Hard and Vape Hard!!!!

subver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2012
United States
subver.com
Would there be any problem using a 30ga NR nickel and a 32ga R kanthal or Nichrome together? I'm asking because I ordered 30ga nickel already and now I am wondering if it will be too thick. I am coming from the DID so I was using 28ga before. o_O
Not at all, 32 gauge kanthal and 30 gauge nickel is my setup of choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread