First timer, ego or xpower 900c?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tazmaan

Oct 18, 2010
West Coast - USA
Hi all, first post here and brand new to ecigs. I have been reading everything i can about it for a week or two now, trying to make the jump and get something ordered.
After alot of reading, it seems like the ego would probably be my best choice. I actually was after the Riva 510, as it seemed like it was a step up as far as battery life, but LF doesnt seem to have them in stock, and I kinda want to get started.
So, it's back to the ego OR the XPOWER 900c from litecigs. Anyone have any input on which of these is best?
I have been smoking a pack a day for about 20 years, and can't wait to make this switch! Marb lights for the most part, so i'll probably be posting again soon about the eliquids as well.
Glad to be here, this forum has so much information and great members that I can see, happy to be a part of it (or soon at least!) :)

DocWyatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2010
OK
There are a lot of threads on here discussing the Xpower. Just search Xpower. I looked over some threads last night on that for someone that was burning through his atomizers with it. You will find that most people on here will say EGO because they KNOW it works great...and have one. Whether the XPower is better, not sure. The reviews i read the users were very happy with it, but it isn't that common, so hard to know for sure.

One other reason that some people get concerned about - future supplies. If I recall that uses an M301 - not a particularly common model.

Models that eventually win out are not always the best... Betamax, for example.A far better example just came to mind Windows. Apple had the best OS for 20 years. Did it matter? No. Not saying XPower is good or bad, no idea....

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2008
UK
Seems to be the main downside with the Xpower is that it works with M301 atomizers. Not a problem in itself as they seem to work great but there aren't many suppliers that carry them at the moment. On the other hand the Joye 510 type supported by the eGo is pretty much universal. You can get adaptors to use M301/M601/Xpower atomizers on a Joye 510 type battery but not the other way around unfortunately.

chirs168

Moved On
Oct 17, 2010
jiaoling
  • Deleted by Warped3k
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

SomeTool

Oct 18, 2010
Midwest
I bought an eGo this weekend and have been using it since Saturday. I really like it so far, this is my first experience with ecigs and I was worried it wouldn't be a good replacement for analogs but I can tell you without reservation that the eGo so far has been the closest thing I've ever tried to the real thing. It hits just as hard as a cigarette(even harder if you use higher nicotine content juice) and I haven't even noticed that I haven't had an analog since Saturday. I'm still new to this whole thing but unless something changes dramatically with wear & tear I don't see myself switching from the eGo, it does everything I want it to do.

Sandybeach40

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2010
Colorado
I referred my buddy to Litecigs to get his Ego. He thought he would one up me and get the Xpower. He came to work with the Xpower 900 and the Cartomizers. His button was sticking almost after every hit. I did some research on the forums and found out this was not and isolated issue. One person fixed the problem by rubbing some silicone on the button and working it in until the problem was solved. Also the battery end had a hole in it just like a auto batt. I wrote to shawn and he said the battery is sealed and the hole is only a byproduct of the machining process. What I thought was weird is how I can look in the hole and see light from the button. My friend is now back on analogs so I wouldn't go with the Xpower.

Rhapsodies Fire

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2010
Bow, WA, USA
www.reosmods.com
I'm new to the forum as well, but I have been vaping for a while now. I don't have any experience with the xpower900c, but I have several egos and I love them. I will always recommend them to new vapers as it was the first one that worked for me and I went through three other e-cig kits before I found the ego. My husband says that the xpower 900c is very similar to the ego. I use mine with a cartomizer instead of a cartridge because I like the reload much better. Every now and then I clean the cartomizers with hot water and that tends to extend their life. Let me be very clear, if you want your atomizers and cartomizers to last a long time, never run them dry. I hope you enjoy whatever one you buy and that you will enjoy life being able to breath again!

DocWyatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2010
OK
I referred my buddy to Litecigs to get his Ego. He thought he would one up me and get the Xpower. He came to work with the Xpower 900 and the Cartomizers. His button was sticking almost after every hit. I did some research on the forums and found out this was not and isolated issue. One person fixed the problem by rubbing some silicone on the button and working it in until the problem was solved. Also the battery end had a hole in it just like a auto batt. I wrote to shawn and he said the battery is sealed and the hole is only a byproduct of the machining process. What I thought was weird is how I can look in the hole and see light from the button. My friend is now back on analogs so I wouldn't go with the Xpower.

There you have it. What people need to understand is that certain models "in theory" might be great. However, the manufacturing quality is very important. By all accounts Joye is an excellent manufacturer and why many prefer a genuine EGO. Other manufacturers might be good as well - or they may not be. For most, the possible reward of saving a couple of dollars or trying another model is not worth the risk.

The important point here is not money. The "risk" of starting out with the wrong kit (or recommending a certain kit) is that someone will have a bad experience, go back to analogs and be done with ecigs - forever. (Just like Dock's friend) It isn't worth the risk, in my view.

Last edited:

tazmaan

Oct 18, 2010
West Coast - USA
Well, thanks for all the responses guys. Of course catching up on the posts this morning made me question my decision to go with the xpower. I sure hope I don't have issues with it. Would have been smarter to go with the ego, but unfortunately, litecigs says my order is already shipped out (quick).
If I have some of the problems mentioned here, hopefully litecigs will allow me to swap it out for an ego, guess we'll see.
Will keep the thread updated when it arrives

PapaOz

Oct 19, 2010
CT, USA
This is my first post. I have the xPower 900C, got it on Friday. Here are my initial impressions:

The thing is pretty nice looking. It has a siliconized rubber (or silicon rubber) coating covering most of the battery and the cone, which feels nice to the touch. The xPower is smaller than I expected it to be. It is only a little bit longer than the KR808D-1 I have. It is bigger around obviously but, not uncomfortable by any means. I found it very comfortable to hold when I cupped it and used my thumb to push the manual button, kind of like holding a golf club. My pinky finger is at the bottom to keep it from slipping down, the ring and middle fingers hold the weight, the index finger just rests on the metal ring and the thumb is used to push the button. The metal ring has a nice feel to it, it is concave with a flare at the top then it slopes back to meet the cone. It is just a nice design feature, in my opinion. The cartomizers that came with it are about 5 to 6 mm longer than KR808D-1 cartomizers, not counting the threaded part. They are supposed to hold 1.1 ml, according to the specs. They definitely should hold more than the KR808D-1 just due to the difference in size. The button glows a kind of pale blue, almost grey and the bottom glows orange when activated. I found the draw about the same, maybe a little tighter than my normal analog and the KR808D-1, not a good or bad thing, just an observation. I found the vapor to be cooler than the KR808D-1, which I liked. I compared my normal analog (Parliament Lights) to the xPower and found that the amount of vapor produced was pretty much the same or slightly more than the smoke produced with similar drags on each.

The cartomizers that came with it do not have a very good tasting juice in them. The first one I tried was the low and it was unbearable, I had to toss it. The next one was the no nicotine and that was at least tolerable. Once I used it for a while I added some wintergreen flavored juice and it was pretty nice. I can definitely see this thing lasting me 1 or 2 days between charges based on how often I use it. Overall, I am really pleased with this model. The one thing I wish they had done was make it so it could be stood up on end. The bottom is slightly curved so that it won’t stand up.

My take on this is that if you use a 510 and like it, go with an Ego or equivalent. If you have an M301/601 and like it go with the xPower. If you have a KR808D-1 and like it get the Defender or equivalent. All of these units are very similar in style and provide the extra battery life so, if you have a particular e-cig model you like get the bigger battery model that fits with the equipment you already have.

I went with this because I wanted to try out the M301/601 cartomizers and atty/cart after hearing good things about it. Otherwise I would have got the Defender or something similar that had the KR808D-1 fittings.

PapaOz

Oct 19, 2010
CT, USA
If you don't know what type of e-cig you really like, yet and just starting out. I would kind of lean toward the eGo even though I have never tried it. The reason I say that is that it is highly regarded, everybody seems to carry them/parts and it is extremely versatile. There seem to be 510 to basically everything else adapters available. So even if you decided down the road that 510 is not for you, you can still use the eGo with an adapter and not have to start from scratch.

Having said that, maybe I should have listened to my own advice.

DocWyatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2010
OK
Yeah, its a bit late now huh papaoz, for both of us :) My xpower should be showing up here tomorrow, so tomorrow is my first day as a vaper, hopefully.
I just hope the experience with the xpower is a good one, and doesn't dissuade me from making the switch from analogs.
Am sure i'll be posting more when I get it tomorrow lol :)

I believe that LiteCig will not take returns/exchanges if you do not like it. I believe they will only replace items defective under warranty. If you decide you want an EGO instead i would return to sender but call them first to discuss if this is possible.

I doubt buying the Xpower is a mistake. Like the other poster said, it depends on which type of atomizer you prefer. Also, the reality is this: If you are going to be a vaper, whatever you buy will NOT be your last one... that is a certainty... LOL. So it isn't a big deal either way, in my view.

PapaOz

Oct 19, 2010
CT, USA
Yeah, its a bit late now huh papaoz, for both of us :) My xpower should be showing up here tomorrow, so tomorrow is my first day as a vaper, hopefully.
I just hope the experience with the xpower is a good one, and doesn't dissuade me from making the switch from analogs.
Am sure i'll be posting more when I get it tomorrow lol :)

Well, I can tell you I am pretty happy with mine, so far. I did order some extra cartomizers from a place in Canada and they are a little smaller than the ones that came in the kit (40mm vs. 50mm), not counting the threads. I know there is a USA based vendor that sells them also but, I haven't tried them, yet. So, it is worth asking about the size before buying. It isn't a huge difference but, bigger means more juice. I wanted to try the M301/M601 anyway so, this works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread