First timer, need assistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyanaprajna

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2017
Indiana
I got my first vapemail today, my package from NudeNic. :) I decided on a recipe i want to try, so i plugged the numbers into both steam engine and e liquid recipes. The numbers are pretty close to each other on both sites, so I'm pretty confident in them, but I have a question: I'm going to mix in ml, and the numbers say 4.17 ml of nic, or 29.89 ml of vg. So how exactly do I measure after the decimal, or is it OK to round up/down?

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Round to the 1 ml level, unless below 1 ml. If you're using syringes as I do, I only get finicky when it's stuff that's below 1 ml, like 0.8 m of EM. For your examples I would use 4.2 ml of nic (you can get real close with a 5 ml syringe for the 0.2 part) and 30 ml for the VG.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
You can think about accuracy in terms of percentages. For example, rounding up 29.89 ml to 30 ml adds another 0.11 ml, meaning you're off by 0.368% - definitely not an issue, and your equipment probably isn't measuring that accurately anyway.

For under 5 or 10 ml when you want to go to a (single) decimal point, there are small syringes and 10 ml graduated cylinders that will give you that accuracy.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Keep your eyes peeled for syringes diabetics use. They are .5 mil or 50 units. If you scotch tape the numbers and rinse consistently you can get some mileage out of these little guys and they are good for smaller amounts of flavorings.

Welcome to DIY!

Those will work great. Most of my batches are 60 ml or more, so a 1 ml is really all I need for the low volume stuff. But that 0.5 ml would be handy when making up small test batches of a new recipe. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for one of those.

Reactions: JCinFLA

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Keep your eyes peeled for syringes diabetics use. They are .5 mil or 50 units. If you scotch tape the numbers and rinse consistently you can get some mileage out of these little guys and they are good for smaller amounts of flavorings.

Welcome to DIY!

Do you get diabetic syringes with separate needles? The diabetic syringes I'm familiar with have minute needles. I can't imagine trying to draw up VG-based anything with them.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Rounding up or down to the nearest ml is fine for larger batches but ML fractions (tenths of a ml) may be more critical when making smaller test samples such as 5 or 10ml batches. In this case I would round up or down to the nearest hundredth for example .89 to .90 or .13 to .10.

Smaller batches are recommended when making new or first time recipes. To help with this get some 1ml syringes as these are graduated to easily allow drawing tenth of a ml measurements.

These can be bought at amazon or ebay at a very reasonable price and work with any needle you may already have or no needle at all..

https://www.amazon.com/1ml-Syringe-...8&qid=1490283622&sr=8-2&keywords=1ml+syringes

Or

https://www.amazon.com/1ml-Syringe-...8&qid=1490283622&sr=8-7&keywords=1ml+syringes

These are also a very nice assortment of syringes and needles.

https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Refilli...8&qid=1490283361&sr=8-4&keywords=1ml+syringes

Last edited:

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
My scale goes to 1 decimal point so I round the number up just so I remember to keep consistent. Unless you calibrate your mixing gear, chances are its going to be out a bit anyway so working with hundredths is futile. I don't mix complex mixes anyway so rounding up and being a bit out on a larger 100ml mix isn't important to me, even my sample new flavor mixes are 20mls cause I think mixing anything lower is more work than its worth.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
the needles and "cap" pull of with pliers. But they do poke ya pretty easy;)

I'm looking at short needle BD Ultra-Fine II .1/2cc part 328468

Getting that will vary where you are. In NY I can easily buy a syringe with no needle, but need a prescription for one with a needle. Still good to know about.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Getting that will vary where you are. In NY I can easily buy a syringe with no needle, but need a prescription for one with a needle. Still good to know about.

Too bad. Here it's just a case of convincing the pharmacist you don't want them for nefarious purposes. They usually sell to me once they stop laughing at my explanation. I need them for my cat's B12 injections.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
the needles and "cap" pull of with pliers. But they do poke ya pretty easy;)

I'm looking at short needle BD Ultra-Fine II .1/2cc part 328468

Brilliant. It never occurred to me to try that. I've just attacked one with pliers, and I'm now the proud owner of a 0.5 ml ejuice ingredient measuring syringe.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
I got my first vapemail today, my package from NudeNic. :) I decided on a recipe i want to try, so i plugged the numbers into both steam engine and e liquid recipes. The numbers are pretty close to each other on both sites, so I'm pretty confident in them, but I have a question: I'm going to mix in ml, and the numbers say 4.17 ml of nic, or 29.89 ml of vg. So how exactly do I measure after the decimal, or is it OK to round up/down?

I'm a little curious. The volumes of nic and VG in your post add up to 34ml. Will you also be adding flavoring? What total volume are you wanting to mix?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Here is something to Consider:

At what Level of Numerical Accuracy can you No Longer Taste any Difference?

and,

What Effect would Round Off cause in a Recipe? Especially a Recipe that you have Never Done before and don't Not Know what it will Taste like?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Ok, my kids are almost asleep, and I'm about ready to start my first batch, but I have one more question: if I mix my batch, taste it, and decide it needs maybe a little more of a flavor, can I just add, say, .5 ml of flavor to the batch, or do I need to start a new batch?

I would suggest that you Taste any New Recipe the 1st time you mix it. But I would Strongly Suggest that you Don't Change Anything until the Mix has sat for at Least 2 ~ 3 Days in a Cool Dark Place.

The taste of a Mix can change in 2 ~ 3 Days. That is what People here call "Steeping".

ETA: You can Always add more Flavoring or Sweetener to a Mix. But it makes things MUCH Easier if you know the Mix isn't going to Change all that much as time goes by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread