Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thank you. I'm just full of questions. :)

Hey No Problem.

I would be Kinda Surprised if someone New to DIY didn't have a Lot of Questions.

Just do yourself a Big Favor. And that is Keep Detailed and Accurate Notes on EVERYTHING You Mix. And Never Add something to a Mix without making a Note of it.

dyanaprajna

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2017
Indiana
So, just mixed my first batch. Vaped it, and I have to say, I've had much worse, I've had better, but I've had worse. I'll let it steep for a few days, let everything mix a bit more, but for my first time, not bad, not bad at all. It's a little bland, might need to add a bit more flavor, and maybe a little sweetener, but it's decent. But I'm sitting here, vaping it, looking at my bottle, and thinking 2 things: 1. I, I made it, and 2. A bad vape (even though this isn't that bad), is still better than a good smoke. So, overall, I'm impressed, not just with the company, which is awesome, but with myself. And I just wanted to share this with you guys.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
So, just mixed my first batch. Vaped it, and I have to say, I've had much worse, I've had better, but I've had worse. I'll let it steep for a few days, let everything mix a bit more, but for my first time, not bad, not bad at all. It's a little bland, might need to add a bit more flavor, and maybe a little sweetener, but it's decent. But I'm sitting here, vaping it, looking at my bottle, and thinking 2 things: 1. I, I made it, and 2. A bad vape (even though this isn't that bad), is still better than a good smoke. So, overall, I'm impressed, not just with the company, which is awesome, but with myself. And I just wanted to share this with you guys.

Wait two weeks of steeping time.. two weeks is when you will get the full flavor of your juice...

A couple days is not nearly enough time.. par for the course is two weeks. It really does take some time for all the flavors to marry well..then you will know more about your recipe and what you might like to do to change it..

Start with just a very small batch, until you think the recipe is perfect.. then you can make a larger batch.

Reactions: dyanaprajna

dyanaprajna

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2017
Indiana
I used NudeNic's melon madness, in a 70vg/30pg 4mg nic mix. When I start to learn a little more and get a little better, I'm wanting to make a similar mix, but add a little of their citrus slap to the mix, and see how that turns out. Melon is a bit more of a subtle flavor to me, and I'm thinking a little of the citrus might give it a little more pop, because citrus is a bit stronger to me.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I was telling her that with both DIY juice and building my own coils, I'll spend in a year what I was spending in just a month on analogs.
BWAAAAHAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAAHAAAAAAA:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK; I'm over my laughing fit now. :D

If you have more self control than many of us, then yes, you can save a lot! Just be wary of rabbit holes, and chasing rainbows, or you will end up slumming in the pauper's gutter with me (and others) who were going to "save SO much."

Me? I have no self control. I always have to be chasing that next recipe ("well I have four of the seven required flavors... three more doesn't cost t h a t much.). Needing that "better" strawberry concentrate ("No! Of course none of the six I already have will do!!"). "What do you mean laying in a 10-year supply is 'excessive'?" "But I NEED those 10 gallons of PG and VG to go with the 6 liters of nic I have. Actually, now that you mention it, I better order 10 more!" "NO we can't talk about the 20 spools of wire, 6 types of wick, 15 tanks, 7 drippers, 24 batteries, and 5 mods (thank heaven they haven't seen the credit card statement for the 5 orders that haven't been delivered yet!)!" " I know I only used it twice but the new one is soooo much better!"

Oh yeah; we save tons!:D:D

All teasing aside; congratulations and welcome to the wonderful (and oh so cost saving ;)) world of DIY.
:toast:

dyanaprajna

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2017
Indiana
Around 4am this morning, I was wide awake (Mexican food with acid reflux will do that :p) and I realized, as I was laying in bed, that I made a mistake. My recipe called for 2ml of flavoring, but I had used my pipette and only put in POINT 2 ml. Whoops, beginners mistake. :p. So I added another .8 to bring the total up to 1 ml flavoring. Trying it now to see how it does, before I let it steep some more.

Reactions: zoiDman

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Around 4am this morning, I was wide awake (Mexican food with acid reflux will do that :p) and I realized, as I was laying in bed, that I made a mistake. My recipe called for 2ml of flavoring, but I had used my pipette and only put in POINT 2 ml. Whoops, beginners mistake. :p. So I added another .8 to bring the total up to 1 ml flavoring. Trying it now to see how it does, before I let it steep some more.

I've had a Few of those 4am wake ups and Remember something. LOL

---

Hey another thing you can try. If you Don't know what the Total Flavoring is going to be for an New Recipe. You do a 20ml Mix at 5%, another at 7.5%, another at 10%, another at 12.5%, and another at 15%.

Then put all the Labeled Bottles away and forget about them for a Couple of Days.

Adding Flavoring and then Waiting can be a Drag. And when you decide on a Total Percentage Level that you like, you can combine a Weak Mix to a Strong Mix to get to that Spot you like.

Reactions: dyanaprajna

dyanaprajna

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2017
Indiana
I've had a Few of those 4am wake ups and Remember something. LOL

---

Hey another thing you can try. If you Don't know what the Total Flavoring is going to be for an New Recipe. You do a 20ml Mix at 5%, another at 7.5%, another at 10%, another at 12.5%, and another at 15%.

Then put all the Labeled Bottles away and forget about them for a Couple of Days.

Adding Flavoring and then Waiting can be a Drag. And when you decide on a Total Percentage Level that you like, you can combine a Weak Mix to a Strong Mix to get to that Spot you like.

I like that idea. I think I'm going to try that with my next batch.

Reactions: zoiDman

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015

OK, I've been doing DIY for well more than a year now, and you lost me on the above. Are you talking about making those different 20mL mixes just to find out her preferred TF% in a specific recipe? If you are, why not do something like the 100DTT to discover what it is right away, and with only 1 approx. 3-4mL mix?

Or, are you talking about making them for some other reason? Not trying to be snarky here at all...I really am interested in understanding it.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
OK, I've been doing DIY for well more than a year now, and you lost me on the above. Are you talking about making those different 20mL mixes just to find out her preferred TF% in a specific recipe? If you are, why not do something like the 100DTT to discover what it is right away, and with only 1 approx. 3-4mL mix?

Or, are you talking about making them for some other reason? Not trying to be snarky here at all...I really am interested in understanding it.

Not sure what 100DTT is?

And yeah, I was talking about making Five 20ml Mixes in ascending levels of Total Flavoring.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Not sure what 100DTT is?

It's Bill's Magic Vapor's 100 drop taste test. It's a method of making a very small representative sample of a new recipe, and tweaking it to your own taste preferences while taking notes on changes you make. Then using those results (including any changed % of flavorings) to adjust your recipe for making a bigger batch. It's found within his blog posts.

And yeah, I was talking about making Five 20ml Mixes in ascending levels of Total Flavoring.

That's with only a single flavoring though (like CAP Sweet Strawberry or TFA Pineapple, etc.), right? Or in the case of OSDIY One Stop Flavors or Blends that are already combinations of flavorings...only 1 of those in the mixes made?

dyanaprajna

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2017
Indiana
It's Bill's Magic Vapor's 100 drop taste test. It's a method of making a very small representative sample of a new recipe, and tweaking it to your own taste preferences while taking notes on changes you make. Then using those results (including any changed % of flavorings) to adjust your recipe for making a bigger batch. It's found within his blog posts.

That's with only a single flavoring though (like CAP, TFA, etc.), right? Or in the case of OSDIY One Stop Flavors or Blends that are already combinations of flavorings...only 1 of those in the mixes made?

Do you have a link to the details of that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread