Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
OK...

JC's recipe had 17% Total Flavoring.

17 goes into One Hundred 5.8824 times. Let's just say it is 5.88 times.

If you Multiply each of the Flavoring Percentages in JC Recipe by 5.88, that would tell you the Percentages of each Flavor for your Combined Blend.

I think they come out to

SB = 52.92%
DX-BC = 35.28%
CC = 11.76%

Now Multiple the Decimal Percentage Equivalents by 30 to get the ml's of each flavoring.

SB => (.5292)(30) = 15.7ml
DX-BC = (.3528)(30) = 10.58ml
CC = (.1176)(30) = 3.53ml

It's a Tad Off do to the Rounding I did. But your Measurements will be a Tad Off also. So I Might all even out.

;)
Thank you....Rounding is good.....I don't think a tad off will even be noticed.

:)

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Thank you....Rounding is good.....I don't think a tad off will even be noticed.

@JCinFLA 's recipe
Strawberry Ripe - 9%
DX Banana Cream - 6%
Cotton Candy - 2%
Total flavor = 17.00%

I was playing with the numbers converting all to decimal first. So moving decimal 2 places over to read total flavoring @ 0.17
And using the % in the recipe
9.0/0.17 = 52.94 % for the strawberry @ 9 %
6.0/0.17 = 35.29 % for the Banana Cream @ 6 %
2.0/0.17 = 11.76 % for the cotton candy @ 2 %

so then keeping to decimals for the volume of the bottle
(9.0/0.17)*0.30 = 15.88
(6.0/0.17)*0.30 = 10.58
(2.0/0.17)*0.30 = 3.529 round to 3.53

Close enough for me.

Thanks again zoid.

Last edited:

LeeLee26

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2016
Hatfield , Kentucky
Keep a notebook write down everything that you add so you can make it again. I got a 1 ml syringe for flavors an 5 ml one for nic with 18 gauge tip. From ecigexpress. Put tape over the numbers an they will last for years. Mine have been going for a year. Stick around you will learn a lot. Good luck.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
zoid,
You and Bill's 100 drop tt are basically doing the same thing except you are wanting to do a larger batch to test. The 100 drop tt averages to around 5ml and with each drop representing 1% it's enough to either drip or fill a small tank to test it.

eta
And @IDJoel further expanded it down to .1 %. Maybe he can chime in?

(emphasis mine)
Hi Sugar, I think what you are referring to is not Bill's 100DTT, but another method he documented for quickly (and rather roughly; by his own admission) homing in on one's personal "preferred" flavor percentage when doing single flavor taste tests. It is part of his DropBox link that is found in his signature line. This method was simply referred to as the "Flavor Chart" and should not be confused with his 100DTT method.

The benefit (and intent) of the flavor chart was to allow the user to immediately find his/her sweet spot for any given single flavor using only the flavor concentrate and PG. It also has the advantage of being cumulative (meaning it is ongoing and you don't have to start over for each percentage). This makes it fast and uses a very small amount of inventory.

It is only intended to give you a very rough "ballpark" starting point with which to start working with a new flavor.

The process works by adding x number of drops of flavor concentrate to y number of PG drops, stir, remove z number of drops to vape (taste), then add additional increments of concentrate and PG to the remaining volume to move up to the next percentage, vape taste again. Repeat.

I personally found that its increments increased too quickly/too big of gaps (5%, 7.4%, 10.1%,12.8%, 15.2%, 17.3%, 19.9%,22.4%, 24.8%). This worked for Bill as he prefers to mix High Flavor percentages and mostly only uses TFA concentrates.

I was moving away from high flavor percentages, and also using multiple flavor manufacturers (which demanded much lower percentages than TFA; like FA and INW), so wanted something that would tighten up those gaps. I did the math, and using a diluted concentrate (25%), I was able to come up with something similar that went up in roughly 1% increments (1%, 2.04%, 2.99%, 3.96%, 5%, 6%, 7.07%, 8.03%, 9.05%).

There are some potential short-comings to this method (both Bill's original and my reduced percentage). First, and foremost, it does not account for any potential effect of aging (steeping). Bill (and others) feel that High Flavor mixing negates the need for steeping so this isn't an issue ("Add enough flavor so it tastes good NOW." school of thought). Secondly, it only provides 3 drops for tasting at each percentage: this always seemed to be a little "stingy" for me. I could get 2, m a y b e 3, puffs on a single coil build (and three drops just doesn't work on a two coil build). I have doubled the number of all drops to increase the available drops for vaping and that does help.
I want to do a 30 ml bottle of just the flavors in the recipe itself so that when I mix a batch of juice I can have just one measurement.
Shameless plug here:D: if you (or anyone else) expects to be creating a lot of flavor bases (just the concentrates to make custom "one shot" concentrates of your ADV recipes) and you would rather not do the arithmetic by hand/brain power, the Juice Calculator created by ECF member @HotRod19579 has the ability to do this automatically with any recipe in the program.

Here are a couple of screen shots from JC's example recipe:
upload_2017-3-26_15-58-27.png

Original recipe.

upload_2017-3-26_16-0-8.png

Navigate to creation screen.

upload_2017-3-26_16-3-7.png

Instant/automatic results. Note that you can save as a new recipe (#1), and/or as an ingredient (#2) for use in later recipes.

upload_2017-3-26_16-8-30.png

New "recipe for making the flavor base.

upload_2017-3-26_16-14-35.png

New recipe for using my newly created flavor base.

Total time for manually inputting the original recipe data, creating the flavor base recipe, creating flavor base ingredient, and creating new single ingredient recipe was less than 4 minutes.

I do understand that some folks prefer to work with good old paper and pencil, others will never need/want flavor bases. But for those that do like feature-rich calculators; this one is worth considering. You can find the most current version in the first post here here: New Calculator to try
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/threads/new-calculator-to-try.480587/
I guess it would be the right thing to do to offer the following disclaimer: The calculator is totally free. It is for windows platforms only (unfortunately). I am not affiliated in any way, shape, or form with HotRod, or his calculator, other than I participate in his thread, and I am a self-admitted fan/groupie! :D

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
I want to do a 30 ml bottle of just the flavors in the recipe itself so that when I mix a batch of juice I can have just one measurement.
In addition to @IDJoel's suggestion, I'll point out that ELR has a "Make one-shot/concentrate" function hidden under the "Blue Wrench" button on any recipe page. You can select the amount of concentrate to make, and the desired mixing percentage for it (subject to a sliding minimum percentage).

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
(emphasis mine)

I do understand that some folks prefer to work with good old paper and pencil, others will never need/want flavor bases. But for those that do like feature-rich calculators; this one is worth considering. You can find the most current version in the first post here here: New Calculator to try
:D
Thank you Joel for such a well thought out response. I do not use the 'new' calculator simply because I no longer use a computer os(which I understand this program requires me to do in order to use this calculator). Also, in all honesty, reading what you and a few others post about using it always seemed to require more of my time than I am willing to give. I sincerely hope that it will serve to be of great valuable to other members who are interested in using this program.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
In addition to @IDJoel's suggestion, I'll point out that ELR has a "Make one-shot/concentrate" function hidden under the "Blue Wrench" button on any recipe page. You can select the amount of concentrate to make, and the desired mixing percentage for it (subject to a sliding minimum percentage).
Thank you for your suggestion. I did not know that ELR had this function but I also rarely use, if at all, this calculator.

Reactions: IDJoel

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Thank you Joel for such a well thought out response. I do not use the 'new' calculator simply because I no longer use a computer os(which I understand this program requires me to do in order to use this calculator). Also, in all honesty, reading what you and a few others post about using it always seemed to require more of my time than I am willing to give. I sincerely hope that it will serve to be of great valuable to other members who are interested in using this program.

Isn't that the beauty of DIYing? That there is a "perfect fit" for each and every one of us... no matter what our style, preferences, or limitations. My mixing may not look like your mixing, but by golly, we both can make some really tasty juice! :D

dyanaprajna

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2017
Indiana
Ok, something weird has happened to my mix. Yesterday, it was tasting pretty good, but right before I went to bed, and first thing this morning, it had a really hard throat hit. Today, it eventually subsided for the most part, and when the tank was getting low, I switched mods. I just filled it back up, and the first few hits it had that hard throat hit again, but it's starting to go away again. It's a 70vg/30pg, 4 mg nic mix. I'm not sure where the occasional hard throat hit Is coming from, does anyone have any ideas?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Ok, something weird has happened to my mix. Yesterday, it was tasting pretty good, but right before I went to bed, and first thing this morning, it had a really hard throat hit. Today, it eventually subsided for the most part, and when the tank was getting low, I switched mods. I just filled it back up, and the first few hits it had that hard throat hit again, but it's starting to go away again. It's a 70vg/30pg, 4 mg nic mix. I'm not sure where the occasional hard throat hit Is coming from, does anyone have any ideas?

Kinda Strange.

Are you Shaking your Mix before you Refill your Tanks?

How long did this Mix Steep before you started to use it?

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I let it steep for about 4 days I think. I was shaking it before each refill, at first. But yesterday I didn't, and that's when it started. I would have never have thought of that. :p

It might not be the Shaking. It could have something to do with your Coil/Wick.

But Shaking is Always a Good Thing.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
BTW - Be sure to write down on your Recipe Card how long you steep a New Mix.

If I steep something for 10 Days and it tastes Good. Then the Next time I Mix it I steep it for 5 Days and it Tastes the Same. It tells me that I probably don't need to steep it for 10 Days.

The Opposite is of course True Also.

Reactions: dyanaprajna

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I was using my Baby Beast with the T8 .15 ohm coil head at 70 watts. I cleaned the tank, and changed the coil to the Q2 .4 ohm, and it seems to be good at 40 watts. I'm still getting a little throat hit, but it's more of a normal throat hit rather than that harsh hit I was getting earlier.

Just curious. But what Total Flavoring Percentage (TFP) did you end up going with for that Mix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread