Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Well, 4% for the melon, I also put in .5% sucralose.

Gotcha. Sounds like a Reasonable %.

I've seen people Say that they are getting a Lot of TH at Higher Wattages with there New DIY Mixes. And it turned out on some that when they Dialed Back their TFP, that things evened out.

Reactions: dyanaprajna

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
@dyanaprajna,
I am in agreement with @zoiDman that it (the changing harshness) is more likely equipment oriented vs. juice related.

This is only from my personal experience but I will notice similar changes during my own vaping. So far, it has always been caused by my gear, and not the e-liquid. Usually it is one of two things (or a combination of the two); either a dirty coil or obstructed airflow.

I am notorious for being a "lazy" vaper; I will push the limits for changing coils and/or wicks for as long as I can get away with it. That is probably a big part of why I am primarily prefer tanks to drippers. I want to fill it, change the batteries when needed, and otherwise not worry about it. But I am also a cheap old cuss so I do use rebuildable tanks instead of those that make me buy $4 replacement coil heads (but the thought of having to wrap a couple more coils, and wick them, just adds to me putting it off :eek::D). This behavior has led to me routinely (not frequently; but routinely) getting that change in my juice from smooth to harsh.

What I have found causes that change (for me; I can't speak for anyone else) is the tank is starting to "flood" or "back up" and is obscuring the airflow. This is not a full on "dripping out of the air holes and make a mess of the mod" flood; but more of a "gurgling, bubbling every time I take a puff" kind of accumulation. To fix: I remove the tank from the mod, loosely wrap the bottom with a tissue or napkin, and gently blow into the mouthpiece (forcing the air and excess juice out of the air holes). This will clear the airways and everything is hunky-dory again. I then do a quick wipe down of the purged tank and put it back on the mod. Note: Do NOT blow forcefully or you can cause a positive pressure within the tank and then you WILL have actual full-on flooding. I find I might need to do this once every two to three days; especially if I have been chain vaping on one particular tank for an extended period of time.

Another tell-tale that it is time to do this is I will start getting juice buildup around the inside of my drip tip that tastes quite unpleasant. It is reminiscent to spit-back in a dripper without the spit-back.

When this doesn't fix the problem; I will remove the build deck and check the coil. All most always the coil is a crusted up and needs to be dry-burned or replaced. Since you mentioned you are using a Baby Beast, dry burning won't be an option for you, so replacing the coil head would then be the ticket.

One of these has always fixed my fluctuating harshness issues... so far. However, like pretty much everything else, your experience may be completely different. :D

I personally am not inclined to first blame the juice; especially when it is a rapid change. Juice, at least for me, tends to be more consistent. If it is going to be harsh, it will be harsh from the onset, unless I use it in different equipment set-ups, then as @zoiDman mentioned, it can work well in one set-up while being too much in another. I have had a fresh mix start out harsh and then smooth out in time (like @puffon's example of ethyl alcohol evaporation); but I have never had one start out smooth and become harsh with time. It doesn't mean it can't happen... just that it hasn't happened to me.

I also put in .5% sucralose.
Do be aware that sucralose is commonly accepted as one of the worse offenders for coil fouling. Don't get me wrong, it is a very effective sweetener, but there is a price to be paid. Whenever I reach for the sucralose I always ask myself "do I need it," "could I still get a tasty vape if I use less," and "is there a different ingredient I could use and still get good results."

I personally have found that if I add a bit of meringue, or marshmallow, I can get that deeper, fuller, mouth-feel and cut my sweetener in half (or sometimes eliminate it completely). Just something to consider if you find yourself going through coils faster than you want. :)

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
@IDJoel

Thanks for your post on creating a "one shot" flavor base, very informative! I only have one compound flavors recipe so far, but followed your steps to create a blend for that one. But...

When it came time to save it, I only had the option to save it as an ingredient, not as a recipe. Curious if your screen shots are from an older version of the calculator since mine shows as up to date?

If my version is up to date, it seems I have two options for creating my one shot base. Either manually create "a recipe" from the information provided in the "create a flavor base" window or just open that window when needing to mix up the flavor base? It would seem the first option would be better in that it would then update inventories (I think)

Or is there something I am totally missing?

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
When it came time to save it, I only had the option to save it as an ingredient, not as a recipe. Curious if your screen shots are from an older version of the calculator since mine shows as up to date?
I must say that I am perplexed. After reading your post I checked the version I am using and got the message that I too am current using version 8.0.0.8

I then flipped through several random recipes with 1, 3, 7, and 10 ingredients, opening the Edit->Create flavor Base for each, and all displayed both save options (save as recipe and as ingredient).
upload_2017-3-29_14-14-27.png

So I have to ask the following questions and I hope the do not offend for they are sincere and not meant to be condiscending:
1) We are both speaking about the same calculator? The one created by @HotRod19579 which he named "Juice Calculator." I ask this because before I started using Juice calculator I used eJuiceMeUp, and then Juice Grinder (I believe in that order) and one of them was very much like Juice Calculator. Now please keep in mind that it has been well over a year since I have had either on my computer, or seen a current version, so this may no longer be remotely relevant.

2) Assuming we are indeed speaking of the same program/application; is your current version also
8.0.0.8? You can find this via Help->About:
upload_2017-3-29_14-35-25.png

3) If the answer to both of these is "yes"; could you post a screenshot of the "Create flavor base from recipe..." so I can see how it differs from mine?
If my version is up to date, it seems I have two options for creating my one shot base. Either manually create "a recipe" from the information provided in the "create a flavor base" window or just open that window when needing to mix up the flavor base? It would seem the first option would be better in that it would then update inventories (I think)
Yes. I agree. Of those two options, manually creating a recipe from the provided percentages would be much better, as that window does not provide specific units (grams or mL) for either mixing or manually adjusting inventories. So, I would think, you would still need to create a recipe if only to get those units from the percentages.

But I am still baffled as to why you don't have a "create recipe" option.

Also, it might be more appropriate, to move our particular conversation over to the Juice Calculator thread (New Calculator to try), so we are not further derailing this one. That's my fault. I probably shouldn't have been as detailed as I was in this thread. My bad; and I apologize to all concerned.:oops::blush:

dyanaprajna

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2017
Indiana
Again, thanks to everyone for all the helpful info. I'm really enjoying this DIY thing. So, about 2 nights ago, I made a small 10 ml batch of something that came to me, adding NudeNic citrus slap to the melon. I've read that others have had problems with the citrus slap, "melting" o rings and such. In my 10 ml mix, I only added .2 ml citrus slap. And sure enough, it messed up my plastic 1ml pipette. Now, I'm worried about putting it into a tank for fear that it will mess up o rings or gaskets. Because even at .2 of 10 ml, it has a strong citrus scent. I'm thinking that with all the other ingredients it should be OK, but I'm a little worried to try it.

Reactions: IDJoel

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Again, thanks to everyone for all the helpful info. I'm really enjoying this DIY thing. So, about 2 nights ago, I made a small 10 ml batch of something that came to me, adding NudeNic citrus slap to the melon. I've read that others have had problems with the citrus slap, "melting" o rings and such. In my 10 ml mix, I only added .2 ml citrus slap. And sure enough, it messed up my plastic 1ml pipette. Now, I'm worried about putting it into a tank for fear that it will mess up o rings or gaskets. Because even at .2 of 10 ml, it has a strong citrus scent. I'm thinking that with all the other ingredients it should be OK, but I'm a little worried to try it.

Now you can Understand why just about All Tanks are made from Glass.

LOL

Reactions: dyanaprajna
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread