First Vape Mod Purchase - NEWBIE REQUIRES HELP xD

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
My understanding is there is a fix on the main smok coil that doesn't last, and that's a good thing. I don't think there's a mod company that hasn't put out a lemon or two (look at the Nautilus X?) or that just isn't well regarded for whatever reason. I don't think that paint flecking off a mod is unusual for a company that's focusing on low price and features, but I don't think paint flaking is the case for all smok products. I think it's perfectly fine to advise on certain problems (if I bought a smok mod, I doubt it would be a Smokalien, but I did see some smok setups during my "DNA mod" search that looked somewhat appealing, for good prices.) I think it actually helped my outlook to see them, LOL. I think it's good for folks to know what they are getting into with smok products, but I think the vast majority of *extreme* complaints comes from maybe 1 or 2 mods, or one particular tank (that can be fixed). I even saw (gasp!) a KT product or two that looked appealing, and I am holding firm to my commitment to not buy those (they aren't good for a clumsy person, to me the build is just not solid enough, but some folks love them. They aren't dropping their mods all the time, however.)

I try to maintain a more balanced outlook these days. If I BOUGHT a smok product I'd probably buy from a US vendor (or even a B&M) to be sure I had warranty/repair support in place, in case anything happened, but since I'm a dyed in the wool MTL vaper, I don't require what a lot of smok products offer.

Anna

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
Not trying to discount what you're saying Cosmic, but I will admit my leaking problems on my Big Baby were my fault. Twice I thought I had the TV's and a coil tight enough.

The qbox though, that thing was a pain. Overheated easily after 1-2 drags with included coils, battery wouldn't hold a charge. Thankfully the shop allowed me to switch out.

My Big Baby with RDA has been great though. Use it mainly for work, when I've screwed up wicking the limitless. Arrow is my drip for now. Still playing around with it.

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
Not trying to discount what you're saying Cosmic, but I will admit my leaking problems on my Big Baby were my fault. Twice I thought I had the TV's and a coil tight enough.

The qbox though, that thing was a pain. Overheated easily after 1-2 drags with included coils, battery wouldn't hold a charge. Thankfully the shop allowed me to switch out.

My Big Baby with RDA has been great though. Use it mainly for work, when I've screwed up wicking the limitless. Arrow is my drip for now. Still playing around with it.
My whole original point was to help a person pick there first set up to get off smoking. The first device someone gets is very important. It should be trouble free though not to discourage them to return to smoking. For the price point I just feel there are more reliable products for the beginning vaper. Once they get off smoking and become more educated about vape gear they will know what they like and what there looking for. I just feel strongly about the the first device must be a winner and trouble free. No intention here to bash any products just wanna get a new vaper off to a good start and off the stinkies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, I'd be more worried about starting with a sub0hm kit period, if it's a transition from smoking thing. Honestly, with the amount this user is smoking, I think sub0hm's overkill, period. At least if he doesn't like it, he'll end up with an inexpensive mod that's a bit of overkill and have to cut back to something smaller. And at least he is here, asking questions.... I don't tend to dissuade new users though if they have a setup they seem dying to have, not unless it's a mech mod issue or something. If the guy is serious about vaping and has to wade through a few problem(s) along the way... Well, it's part of starting vaping, IMO. There are worse and better options (IMO) for transitioning, but I've found the best way is to let the person do what they're going to do anyway, and provide support as needed. IDK. We are all different.

My "first" device was neither a winner nor trouble free to me, it was an IPV-5 and a cleto tank. I was chain-vaping 12 nic, and it sucked. Because I was determined to stop, that was like my first post, "Why isn't this working?" and I got good advice from there. I agree, Cosmic Glaze, that it's helpful to have a trouble free first setup, but with enough determination, it isn't *necessary*. I just get the feeling from this first post that they guy is really set on that setup, and I don't want to dissuade him from starting vaping.... I don't *know* if it will turn out fantastic, but it *might* and I think he's certainly been warned enough, now. He'll have to decide from there. I doubt he's going to pick up a less powerful setup, and at least if it doesn't work it won't have been fantastically expensive. I agree, there are better mods out there for *me* but that's about all the recommending I will be doing on the subject because he came here with a preselected device, already....

I do agree that getting people started with an easier startup is *ideal* but some people come in going "I want clouds! I desire a SmokAlien!" and that's all there is to it. Sometimes their own desires will carry them through the resulting hiccups.

Anna

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Given op's first sentence:

I've been lingering around different vape stores in my city recently, and I remember the last time there was only vape pens, and they were really garbage. A lot of my friends threw them away and went back to cigarettes.

Followed by:

I was looking to get the SMOK 220W alien kit as my first vape.

It appears he already has an idea what he is looking for and based on his wants, it looks to me like a good choice. Why the need to plant the seeds of doubt? Smok does not have exclusivity for problems and/or complaints.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I'm not going to dissuade you from starting with a sub0hm startup if that's what you truly desire. I will say smok IS great value for the money, and there are folks who've had start up difficulties, and those that haven't. I will say if you are more of a social smoker, start with pretty low nic, as you will be getting a good lungful of smoke Vapor and if you wind up chain vaping, you may give yourself nicotine overload. Especially if you plan on continuing smoking, though some folks take to vaping and never look back.

Anna

Fixed that small mis-type for you :D

TJVapes

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2010
USA
Subohm isn't always overkill. I was surprised that the last 3 converts here all went for subohm *(with DTL) rather than MTL when given the choice, even the only sometimes smoker. There are, in my opinion, better devices than Smok anything to be had. Crown 3 by far exceeds a Smok tank at every level in my opinion. Smok will get ya there though. I think most mods have a big potential for electronics failure and it's not brand specific. My Alien screen went out and so did my daughters Kaos spectrum. Is that Sigelei? I think so.

*edited because I know subohm and DTL are different things :)

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

Khannnnn

Sep 1, 2017
I started with a Smok Alien and am 100% smoke free two weeks later. I now also own an AL85 because I love having two mods and I have a problem lol. That being said I cannot disagree the Crown 3 (which is on my Alien) is a freaking beast. I love it. By far my favorite tank. The flavor! The clouds! It doesn't chug like my baby beasts. That being said the flavor from my baby beasts is OHHHHHH so good. Who knows more time will have to tell on the Alien and the AL85. However, personally they have gotten me off the stinky sticks and for that I am eternally grateful!

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
OK folks, we have a person here that is brand new to vaping and is needing some advice as to which way to go. Just to clarify, Subohm is not a way of drawing the vapor in. Subohm just means that the coils resistance is below 1 ohm. I mainly vape coils that average 1.8 ohm. (Actually my favorite topper is the SMOKTech ARO 2 on an Eleaf istick 30 watt set to 7 watts). I also enjoy my GS-AIRS with the .75 coil on the same istick but set at 13 watts. That coil is considered subohm but I still vape my normal MTN (mouth through nose-very little vapor goes down into my lungs). I have tried the DL hits and they are just not for me. After smoking for over 45 years I decided I wanted to give my lungs a very long rest. It has been working for me for almost 6 years so far.

If one vapes for the nicotine, pulling the vapor into the lungs is not necessary as it is absorbed by holding it in ones mouth for a second or so and then let it out through mouth and/or nose. I could be way off base but I believe this is the way most folks smoked so if one is wanting to mimic the smoking experience, MTL (mouth to lung) might very well be the way to go. Of course we each have to find which way works best and that can only be found by trying different methods.

It seems some folks think subohm coils can only be vaped by drawing the vapor directly into ones lungs. That isn't actually the case. I do realize that it is necessary for some folks though. I just wanted to clarify as to what subohm actually means. I remember just how confusing all of this was when I first started vaping and joined this forum. It helps if everyone is on the same page though.

Sub Ohm=coil resistance below 1 Ω
DL (Direct Lung hit) =drawing the vapor directly from drip tip, through mouth, down the throat and straight to the lungs.
MTL (Mouth to Lungs)=drawing into mouth before inhaling into the lungs
MTN (Mouth through Nose)=drawing into mouth, holding for a second or so and then easing it out of mouth and/or nose.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
If you spend $100 on a setup that includes device, tank, coils, battery, charger and juice and you run into problems with it, there's a high risk that you'll get frustrated with it all. You could end up tossing it in a drawer. You could end up selling it for $0.50 on the dollar. You could go back to smoking, which many find to be a lifelong and progressive addiction.

The Alien 220 is a high-end device with a lot of advanced features that can quickly overwhelm the impatient type. It is not a charge it. fill it and vape-it-right setup. If you're willing to climb the learning curve on it, go ahead. Frankly, I think you'd be better served with something that costs less and demands less experience to use properly.

You will learn a lot about vaping, almost by necessity. And you will soon want a second (then a third, then a ...) device and tank combo. Let that one be a more advanced device.

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
If you spend $100 on a setup that includes device, tank, coils, battery, charger and juice and you run into problems with it, there's a high risk that you'll get frustrated with it all. You could end up tossing it in a drawer. You could end up selling it for $0.50 on the dollar. You could go back to smoking, which many find to be a lifelong and progressive addiction.

The Alien 220 is a high-end device with a lot of advanced features that can quickly overwhelm the impatient type. It is not a charge it. fill it and vape-it-right setup. If you're willing to climb the learning curve on it, go ahead. Frankly, I think you'd be better served with something that costs less and demands less experience to use properly.

You will learn a lot about vaping, almost by necessity. And you will soon want a second (then a third, then a ...) device and tank combo. Let that one be a more advanced device.

Granted, the Smok kit is not "idiot proof" but it has all the safety features necessary to keep a newb from getting in trouble.

Really, using a mod like the Alien with a sub-ohm tank is not rocket science. The kit can be used in straight wattage mode using the quick-start instructions with great success. I'm pretty sure it's far less complicated than the smart phones we all use.

I'd rather see a newb get the Alien kit and be satisfied for a few months than a cheap all-in-one that they will likely outgrow within a couple of weeks - if even out of curiosity. Someone else mentioned a Pico with a Lemo - even that is better than a lot of the pod mods, egos, cigalikes, and AIO tube kits with internal batteries.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Granted, the Smok kit is not "idiot proof" but it has all the safety features necessary to keep a newb from getting in trouble.

Really, using a mod like the Alien with a sub-ohm tank is not rocket science. The kit can be used in straight wattage mode using the quick-start instructions with great success. I'm pretty sure it's far less complicated than the smart phones we all use.

I'd rather see a newb get the Alien kit and be satisfied for a few months than a cheap all-in-one that they will likely outgrow within a couple of weeks - if even out of curiosity. Someone else mentioned a Pico with a Lemo - even that is better than a lot of the pod mods, egos, cigalikes, and AIO tube kits with internal batteries.
My point was that the OP is going to covet at least one more device and since it's a given that a second one is in the cards, let that second one have all the bells and whistles on it.

I'm a big fan of the Pico setups. Those really are grow-into devices that are perfect for newer folks or people who just like it simple (I own five, with another on that slow boat). You want wattage only? Check. Temp control? Check, and done right. Bypass mode? Check.

Best of all, you almost never see a "HELP ME!!!" post here from a new Eleaf owner. And I'd wager that there are as many Eleaf owners reading this as there are Smok owners.

loztsoul

Sep 22, 2017
Hello everyone,

I'm actually surprised with all of your great responses and supporting a n00b like me get into my journey of vaping. Many of you made very valid points which made me rethink a lot about the device. I've read many people that get into vaping do end up spending tons of money going through devices and the whole process of it - which I mean it's not that big of a deal, but If I can avoid that it would be ideal which is why I started to research about the "best" (or apple brand) of vaping so I could get the most of my money and be able to grow into it. Dumb idea on my part because I already spend countless of money on buying ciggs (esp in Vancouver its about $13CDN/pack for the brand I smoke) and a lot of people would be like wtf are you on... lol.

A little more about myself. Now.... like I said I'm more of a social smoker, have one w/ coffee in the morning.. and then maybe one after lunch and then perhaps a one during the drive home from work etc. Not heavy at all, and if I could avoid putting these 1000+ toxics in my body then vaping is the route to go. IDEALLY, the only purpose of smoking I have is the habit of just inhaling/exhaling smoke whether it be a social thing or just a little "personal habit/thing to do" to have a break or keep myself busy. I mean I'm killing myself just for a silly habit of mine compared to people who are actually addicted to cigarettes and who do pack a day and what not.

All in all.... after going to a couple of local vape stores - it is literally a mind f#!K considering all the brands and processes going on w/ watts, ohms, coils, atomizers. The safety of batteries, making sure to buy reputable LG/Samsung batteries. For a person like me to wanting to vape, there's a LONG ... process to learn. I just thought it would be easy as a plug-in-play device haha, which i mean that's how it used to be anyways. However, the more and more questions I asked and the different answers I kept getting from the local rep, just made me like not even excited to purchase it. The fact I would have to buy an external charger, make sure the batteries are being charged in sync (married), replacing the coil etc. I just want a simple process and by all means even if it has no nicotine - i don't even care. I just need the act of INHALING/EXHALING smoke hahaha. When I learnt about the coil being burnt and having to replace, I just thought of it being another headache compared to me going to the gas station and just buying a pack of ciggs. boom done.

In conclusion, I think as my first vape I would rather much do what one of the members said saying do a starter kit, single battery like the ELEAF iStick 75W Pico. I dont' wanna eff around w/ the batteries, I can just charge it while being in the mod and just continue to refill juices and what not. The inexpensiveness of this device is worth for a trail and error run to see if it meets my needs. It's not like I'm investing a lot of money just to get all the gear as if I would w/ the SMOK.

Would I be able to change the tank of this device? FYI - I'm not in this to chase/produce big clouds at all, ZERO interest. I remember taking a hit of the SMOK of some local vape shop guys. I exhaled and literally did it as if I was smoking a cig, and had to keep exhaling because of all the remainder smoke still in my lungs which ended up coming out of my nose (and heck even through my ears which it felt like rofl). I def don't want to experience that again, I just want the short airtime similiar to cigs. Is the tank what reflects MTL D2L? so if this Eleaf has the MELO w/e tank that's D2L? and If I wanted to try MTL, i would have to change the tank?

I just want a quick/simple set up process and be on my way.

Thanks for all the help guys - much appreciated.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
OH and... please advise how I could last my juice as long as possible without having to purchase more all the time. Would this be strictly also what the tank is in relation to coils? Aspire Cleito is good I hear...
Welcome and glad you joined.
For MTL, internal battery with tank, I would look at:
Kanger Evod Starter Kit, comes with two mods one to vape with and an emergency spare.
Authentic Kanger Evod Ecig Starter Kit
New Kanger SOCC Replacement Coils/Atomizer Heads for EVOD/Protank (5PK/Singles)
Might want to try the search function in upper right hand corner of this post. Could type in "Evod Starter Kit".
Might like to read:
http://www.vaporauthority.com/pages/learn
http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/a...tte-college-guides-tutorials-information.html
Beginner – Guide To Vaping
http://vapingcheap.com/vaping-101/
(10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
(1) Proper Terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments. | E-Cigarette Forum

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Yes you can change tanks on that device. Ejuice usage is going to be based on how much you vape and what you use to vape it.

In general a higher ohm coil for MTL is probably going to produce less vapor unless cranked up and go thru less ejuice. A subohm coil used DTL will probably suck up a lot of juice.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
As to tanks, one issue the Pico 75 has is a limitation of using only tanks 23 mm and under. Lots of tanks these days are coming out 24-25 mm. They just released a Pico 85 which can hold up to a 25 mm tank. It's a bit more expensive, especially with the price cuts on the older 75, but it gives you a bit more flexibility at the additional price.

There are fewer mtl style tanks especially in the mod/kit world, but given the ability to change tanks, I would eliminate the stock tank the Pico comes with. If you don't like it you can pick up another tank as there are more mtl type tanks out there that can be bought alone. Besides you might very well like it and stick with it as is.

Best way to keep your coils going well is to prime them carefully, let them sit in a full tank for awhile, take some unpowered puffs to saturate the cotton in the coil, and start at a low wattage and work up slowly. Stop increasing wattage once you reach your favorite "sweet spot" and stay at that. The "recommended" use they put on the coils these days are a product "irrational exuberance".

Finally, for charging, really, get a 2 bay external charger. They are better for the mod, as no accidentally damaging the inexpensive usb ports typically used, and have another battery available so when one gets used up yu can switch in a fresh battery and worry about charging later.

A final tip is start with a really low nic juice. You're taking in very little right now and you likely be satisfied with it. If not, you just buy the next one a step up.

Obi Wan Vapori

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2013
Saco,ME,USA

What I started with. Used them until the batteries would not hold a charge any longer. Used the tanks for years after that. Great starter set up. Cheap to buy and run and actually if you want a place to start to learn how to coil and re-wick it is even possible to rebuild the coils in the thing cutting costs even more.

Zutankhamun

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 22, 2015
Rapture
A little more about myself. Now.... like I said I'm more of a social smoker, have one w/ coffee in the morning.. and then maybe one after lunch and then perhaps a one during the drive home from work

o_O You don't sound like a social smoker, unless you have your morning coffee, lunch break and after work drive with a gang of people?
Sounds like the slippery slope I and many others have walked down.

Try and knock it on the head.

not a way of drawing the vapor in.

Not picking on you @mattiem but just a quote that sums up my thinking.
It's strange that nobody on this thread is trying to dissuade the guy/gal from smoking at all!
I know we like vaping but shouldn't we sometimes encourage people to neither vape or smoke? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread