Five Pawns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
To this day, Castle Long is one of my top three all-time favorite flavors. I've tried the even more expensive Castle Long Reserve, but for the extra $10 I couldn't justify the price.

I'm currently poor, so I can't afford to buy Castle Long anymore. I'm just starting to dabble into DIY, so I too would love a recipe that would even come close.

I used to work in a vape shop which typically carried about 60 flavors at any given time from a dozen companies, so I've tried a lot of flavors from a lot of different vendors. I can't honestly say that any one company had an upper hand in having the best flavors as a whole. I maybe liked one or two flavors from a select few companies at best.

My flavor palatte is probably different from others. My favorite flavor ever was probably Virgin Vaper's Kona Velvet Milkshake, but it hasn't been available in years; something about a key flavor ingredient is hard to obtain. I also really liked Copper Creek's House Blend, but I vaped so much of it over the years that I eventually acquired a distaste for it. Recently I have begun to like custard flavors. My favorite at the moment is a bourbon-flavored custard called Custer's Last Call from Brewmous.

Reactions: we87

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
I absolutely loved Five Pawns Castle Long Reserve. It was an extreme expense I would save for special occasions, vacations, holidays etc. Then I found a recipe! My saving grace! I'm vapeing it right now, as I do every night. It's an excellent 1:1 clone :thumb: changed my life. I even gave up ordering my go to online juices. My advice, get into DIY! The clones our out there!

Huehugh

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
I like three of their flavors but way over priced. Any juice over $20 for a 30ml bottle is over priced IMHO.
But I did purchase a couple of Oak Barrels to steep my DIY E liquids in and really like the way it adds that flavor to your liquids. Helped me get away from the Tobacco flavored juices; which also helped me stay off the Cigs at first. So some good came from trying their juices
Where did you get your oak barrels? Little small ones right? I have a couple of diy juices that I'd love to age that way.

Huehugh

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Can
I absolutely loved Five Pawns Castle Long Reserve. It was an extreme expense I would save for special occasions, vacations, holidays etc. Then I found a recipe! My saving grace! I'm vapeing it right now, as I do every night. It's an excellent 1:1 clone :thumb: changed my life. I even gave up ordering my go to online juices. My advice, get into DIY! The clones our out there!

Can you share the recipe for your clone? I love this juice but the clones are difficult! Thanks.

Jugband

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2013
PA, USA
Can

Can you share the recipe for your clone? I love this juice but the clones are difficult! Thanks.

Sure! It was easy to find online. Again I'm vapeing it now. Absolutely love it! It's well worth the investment of the ingredients. Probably not exact, but sure is close!! And absolutely excellent!

All TFA flavors
I mix it at 70/30 just my preference

2% Acetyl Pryazine
2% Vanilla Bourbon
0.5% Brown Sugar
3% Coconut Extra
6% Kentucky Bourbon
0.5% Oak Wood
3% Toasted Almond
2% Vanillin 10%

You have to let it steep at least two weeks. Immediately it just tastes like bourbon.

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

CountingCrows

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2016
Products like these are snake-oils. For as long as there are people who think the most expensive is the best (NOT!), there are going to be companies like these taking advantage of users. I can guarantee that 5 Pawns and Black Note is the same. And these are venture capitalists. They don't care about what you inhale. They care about how much they can make at the shortest amount of time.

CountingCrows

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2016
Link the chemical analysis that was completed to back up this claim. Otherwise, knock it off.

I don't understand why you so feverisly support Five Pawns to be bold enough to request chemical composition from a regular vaper (but surely blind enough to overlook packaging similiarities)...

Actually I do. It is called "Cognitive Dissonance". Or being on a payroll.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I don't understand why you so feverisly support Five Pawns to be bold enough to request chemical composition from a regular vaper (but surely blind enough to overlook packaging similiarities)...

Actually I do. It is called "Cognitive Dissonance". Or being on a payroll.

As you're new, I'm going to explain the facts of life. We generally do not accept blanket statements as fact here. Back up the allegations, or knock it off.

subwayaznm

A Geek with a Cool slice
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2016
USA
I wonder if Black Note owns this company. The packaging, style, look/feel screams Black Note. Way to expensive for a 30ML IMO.
I can see what you mean on the look. Now I question is the E Liquid worth the extra expense? Five Pawns can be argued that it is or it isn't. I happen to think it makes for a nice treat if one of their flavors meet your pallet. But for a treat and not an all day vape.

seek2

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2014
Chicago, IL
Right. It's not reasonable to vape five pawns 24/7. Here or there is all I do. A nice little treat.

Using some of the ideas on the grandmaster clone, have a gambit attempt in the works. I say it is worth the money since five pawns is such a layered vape. Hard to explain. Been a few months since I have had it, but have some gambit inbound to compare and of course vape on.

Tmebs

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2014
BFE, Illinois
I have been playing with a couple recipes that I have found.

Following along the same lines as Jugbands posted version is one I have tried. My version was up by 2% on the oak and brown sugar. Plus an addition of 1.5% tfa cherry blossom.

I think for me I preferred the lower % version almost fresh, maybe a week steep.
I was surprised how tasty it was at just 10% total flavor using Tfa.

I think the most copied versions come from Ews and jonhall.

2.5% Kentucky bourbon
1.5% coconut extra
1.5% AP
1.5% toasted almond
1% Vanillin
1%. Bourbon vanilla
1%. Brown sugar extra

I think I will re visit this lower % version and add .5 oak and see where that takes me. (So many recipes, so little time)

I didn't even touch the higher % recipe for exactly a month and it is Ok, for me, it seemed smooth ......
But the low % percent fresh was in your face and I LIKED IT.
LOL
P.S. Take any thing I say with a grain of salt.....I have never had Five Pawns myself.

Reactions: smacuser

Deemos

Aug 1, 2016
Products like these are snake-oils. For as long as there are people who think the most expensive is the best (NOT!), there are going to be companies like these taking advantage of users. I can guarantee that 5 Pawns and Black Note is the same. And these are venture capitalists. They don't care about what you inhale. They care about how much they can make at the shortest amount of time.

I bought the sample pack of all the black notes , Those were really nasty. While i do think that you have to pay good money for good liquids but blacknote is really disgusting, 5 pawns is so so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread