Fixing a Stuck Black Bulb in a Syringe

Status
Not open for further replies.

deback

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Michigan
I think this might be a very common problem with syringe users, so thought I would post about how I fixed the problem.

I have only one 1mL syringe that came with a needle and have had it for about two weeks. A couple of days ago, the black bulb became stuck at the end of the syringe. I pushed it out using a large paper clip, but it kept getting stuck when I reinserted the plunger.

So, I pushed a thin wire brush (from the kitchen drawer) through the syringe a few times to remove anything built up inside and rinsed it out real well (also soaked both parts in soapy water the other day).

Then I added a thin layer of vaseline onto the black bulb, and now it slides into the syringe like it should. I've also realized that, when I'm not using the syringe, I should leave the plunger out of the syringe, so it won't keep getting stuck.

deback

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2010
Michigan
I usually mix between 10% & 20% VG with my store-bought juices and put in the VG last when I'm mixing which leaves a coating of VG on the inside of my syringe. Never had a sticking problem.

That's a good idea, but I mix my store-bought juices with about 30% to 40% VG in a separate glass bottle, and then fill my cartos with that mixture. Then I rinse out the syringe and plunger at the sink, but I've been leaving the plunger in the syringe. It only took two weeks for the black bulb to get stuck at the end the syringe. So, I won't use vaseline anymore and might dip the plunger into some VG before I use it. I don't know, I think just leaving the plunger out of the syringe when I'm not using it will solve the problem of sticking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread