Flavor West DIY flavor review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Av3y Khal1

Jan 1, 2015
UK
Thanks! Can you describe it's flavor some?
At first I caught a mild hint of banana, cream/milky ice-cream and stronger taste of waffle. The banana soon drifted away in the background and I wasn't able to notice it much.
I continued to vape it and thought it's a flavour I'd prefer to vape after a Sunday roast rather than after every other meal. Bare in mind this was before steeping.

Hope that helps

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts
I'm usually a single flavor mixer but...

I made some Toffee Dream Cream at 4mg 40/60 @ 18% when I got my subtank.
I also made Peanut Butter and a few other flavors at the same ratio/concentration.
A couple of weeks later, when I got to the TDC & the PB I didn't like them as much as lungers vs. decent as puffers.
I thought adding PB to the TDC could make something tastier.
It did. It did very much.
I found 25/75 PB/TDC to be amazing.
I added a little more PB to the bottle as space became available but 25/75 was excellent.
It works so well I'm adding a half ounce of PB flavoring to my last 1.5 ounces of TDC flavoring to make it a dedicated
Peanut Butter Toffee Cream flavor... yum

Last edited:

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
I made some Toffee Dream Cream at 4mg 40/60 @ 18%
I also made Peanut Butter and a few other flavors at the same ratio/concentration.
I thought adding PB to the TDC could make something tastier. It did.
I found 25/75 PB/TDC to be amazing. yum
Hey. I have both of those, and I like mixing them solo too.
Thanks for the idea ... this I will HAVE to try... :thumbs:

Reactions: Kenna

jpasint

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2014
Coconut Creek, Florida
I've used them for some of my DIY juice. They've been around in the ecig market for a while and are pretty popular, I would think it would be all over the place way before now if that was true. If they where a company that just popped up in the last year or so then I would be a little more suspect it. And some of their flavors are pretty good which isn't the case with most China flavorings(although some aren't to bad). But you never know these days, I would ask the guy how he found out about that.

I have to say I’m beginning to have my doubts about them.

First, why wouldn't someone from FW defend this China “allegation” if it were not true?

Second, like all of their flavors have a Specific Gravity of 1.04 listed in their MSDS's. I verified that a few of the ones I use were not 1.04. They weren't off by leaps and bounds, but still off. I could tell before even testing some of them that they were not the same as PG. It looks they just took the SG of PG and listed it as the SG for their flavors. Seems like something a company from China would do.

I actually love a few of their flavors but I would stop using them in a heartbeat if this China thing were found to be true.

Don’t mean to sound like a racist or a hater because I’m neither of those but I don't trust China much when it comes to consumable things. And also in a lot of other areas too but that’s a topic for a different discussion.

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Hi!

I've always been a TFA and Capella guy but decided to venture into Flavor West this week.

I picked up:

Bavarian Cream
Butter Cream
Butterscotch
Caramel Candy
Sugar Cookie
Yellow Cake

I have read through this thread and have seen all sorts of ranges for percentages. SO I just wanted to see if someone could recommend some starting percentages for each of these flavor?

If you're really in the mood to help, you could even suggest some recipe's to try with them! :p

Thanks in advance for any help!

Vape Happy,

Cullin Kin

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
I mix them all at 12.5% in 70/30, 16% in 50/50 or 18% in 40/60 PG/VG

Almost all as single flavors but I mix 25/75 Peanut Butter/Toffee Dream Cream = amazing

Thank you! I'm thinking about using them as add on flavors.

Here's a recipes I'm thinking about doing tonight:
15% Capella Vanilla Custard
4% FW Butterscotch
4% FW Graham Cracker
2% FW Butter Cream
2% FW Caramel Candy
2% Ethyl Maltol
1% Sweetener

Any tweaks?

Mowgli

Runs with scissors
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2013
Taxachusetts

4% FW Butterscotch
4% FW Graham Cracker
2% FW Butter Cream
2% FW Caramel Candy
2% Ethyl Maltol
1% Sweetener

Any tweaks?

I'm no chef. I like mostly single flavors. FW has enough kick ... flavors to keep me amused.

Slots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2012
Eastern Wa.
So just single flavor recipes mixed at 12.5%? I will give some a try!
FW suggests mixing their flavors at 15% ... that's pretty close,
Some like less, and some like up to 18% ... then again it varies with the flavor being used.
Playing around with 15%, and then adding another drop or two, or diluting it some should give you some solo flavors you enjoy.

I make a 2ml test of every flavor I buy, just to see how strong it is .. if I like it ... how sweet it is .. and what I think it will contribute to a recipe.
I found I like a lot of them solo. :blush:
I also found there were a bunch I could not even taste, no matter what % I used.
Those I gave away .. if I can't taste the flavor solo, I'll never taste it in a recipe, so what good is it :(
You will learn a lot testing each flavor, before you start mixing.
Have fun :p

Last edited:

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
FW suggests mixing their flavors at 15% ... that's pretty close,
Some like less, and some like up to 18% ... then again it varies with the flavor being used.
Playing around with 15%, and then adding another drop or two, or diluting it some should give you some solo flavors you enjoy.

I make a 2ml test of every flavor I buy, just to see how strong it is .. if I like it ... how sweet it is .. and what I think it will contribute to a recipe.
I found I like a lot of them solo. :blush:
I also found there were a bunch I could not even taste, no matter what % I used.
Those I gave away .. if I can't taste the flavor solo, I'll never taste it in a recipe, so what good is it :(
You will learn a lot testing each flavor, before you start mixing.
Have fun :p

Thank you! I really appreciate it! I've got a lot of recipes nailed down with Capella and TFA so I haven't had to make my 3mL test batches lately. Laziness is getting the better of me right now lol, that's why I was hoping for some starting percentages!

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.

4% FW Butterscotch
4% FW Graham Cracker
2% FW Butter Cream
2% FW Caramel Candy
2% Ethyl Maltol
1% Sweetener

Any tweaks?

Just my $.02

I don't know Capella but if I were using FW custard I would half that percentage as you wont taste it as much as you will "feel" it. The Grahm Cracker and the Butterscotch are going to be in a boxing match to take over this recipe. I have never handled a flavor that fills a room as much as FW butterscotch does. The FW Grahm is also very strong but more so in the taste than the exhale. I would drop to 3% grahm and 2% b. scotch. The Butter cream taste will be lost in the haze but if you wanted to leave it in just to compliment the smoothness of the custard you could leave it in but Meh, it would leave it out. I like using FW caramel as a complimentary flavor but to get it to stand up to the other two bullies I would raise it to 5%. With the smoothness of the custard and maybe the Butter cream if you leave it in, I personally would skip the EM. Both the Butterscotch and caramel are quite sweet and the FW custard is fairly sweet so I don't think you will need the sweetener. I would mix it without and add it after if I thought it needed a little more sugar.

But hey, that's just me :)

Have fun. Take good notes:)

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Just my $.02

I don't know Capella but if I were using FW custard I would half that percentage as you wont taste it as much as you will "feel" it. The Grahm Cracker and the Butterscotch are going to be in a boxing match to take over this recipe. I have never handled a flavor that fills a room as much as FW butterscotch does. The FW Grahm is also very strong but more so in the taste than the exhale. I would drop to 3% grahm and 2% b. scotch. The Butter cream taste will be lost in the haze but if you wanted to leave it in just to compliment the smoothness of the custard you could leave it in but Meh, it would leave it out. I like using FW caramel as a complimentary flavor but to get it to stand up to the other two bullies I would raise it to 5%. With the smoothness of the custard and maybe the Butter cream if you leave it in, I personally would skip the EM. Both the Butterscotch and caramel are quite sweet and the FW custard is fairly sweet so I don't think you will need the sweetener. I would mix it without and add it after if I thought it needed a little more sugar.

But hey, that's just me :)

Have fun. Take good notes:)

Good notes on everything! I unfortunately don't have FW Vanilla Custard, but mainly what I'm looking for is the perfect compliment to Cap's VC. I love the flavor of it but just want a unique/bold custard mix. I mixed the original recipe above last night but I will mix again with your revisions tonight! Thank you. :)

Edit: Last night I also made 5 different custards using FW Butterscotch, Bavarian Cream, Caramel Candy, Sugar Cookie, and Yellow Cake.

Each recipe looked like:
15% Cap's Vanilla Custard
8% FW Flavor X
2.5% Ethyl Maltol
1.5% Sweetener

I'm excited to see how each of these turn out as well!

Last edited:

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
Good notes on everything! I unfortunately don't have FW Vanilla Custard, but mainly what I'm looking for is the perfect compliment to Cap's VC. I love the flavor of it but just want a unique/bold custard mix. I mixed the original recipe above last night but I will mix again with your revisions tonight! Thank you. :)

It is great to compare like that. One thing I strongly suggest if you have not done so already is to mix each flavor you have as a stand alone (~12%) and taste them seperately. It gives you an idea of the colors you have on your pallet to paint with.

If you really like the Vanilla custard but wanted to have your own little take on it, try the custard with say about 4% of the Carmel Candy and give it a week to steep. Nice and simple and it should be yummy but still let the main flavor of the custard shine through.

Please report back on your discoveries

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
Reporting back discoveries:

Out of the 5 base custards I made, Butterscotch, Caramel Candy, and Yellow Cake (Recipes below) came out fantastic! Caramel Custard was the best by far.

Butterscotch Custard
8% FW Butterscotch
2.5% Ethyl Maltol
1.5% Sweetener

Caramel Custard
8% FW Caramel Candy
2.5% Ethyl Maltol
1.5% Sweetener

Custard Cake
8% FW Yellow Cake
2.5% Ethyl Maltol
1.5% Sweetener

Bavarian Cream was a bit too much and Sugar Cookie was a bit too weak, so revised recipes for those are posted below.

Bavarian Custard
4% FW Bavarian Cream
2.5% Ethyl Maltol
1.5% Sweetener

Sugar Cookie Custard
12% FW Sugar Cookie
2.5% Ethyl Maltol
1.5% Sweetener

As for the crazy recipe above... It's really good but the Graham Cracker is a bit overpowering. So I will follow what @Capt.shay said except do this instead:

It's Whats for Dessert
3% FW Butterscotch
2% FW Graham Cracker
2% FW Butter Cream
2% FW Caramel Candy
2% Ethyl Maltol
1% Sweetener

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread