Status
Not open for further replies.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
I have to agree with retrox on the Rice Krispies. It is a great secret ingredient when mixed with other flavors. My best Vanilla Custard recipe now uses it at 11% over 8% FW Vanilla Custard with 1% EM. I call it Klondike due to the golden color of the resulting juice. Just excellent IMO.

Very interesting.... to make sure... the RK is @ 11%, FW VC @ 8% and 1% EM..... For some reason, I had flipped the percents for RK and VC. I just can't get over what a great flavor the RK is. Starting to become another Vienna Cream type flavor for me!!

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
I just made another batch horton. I added a little something else to bump up the vanilla!
FW - Rice Krispie @ 11%
FW - Vanilla Custard @ 8%
EM - @ 1.5%
TPA - Vanilla Cupcake @ 3%

The Vanilla Cupcake is a fantastic vanilla/bakery flavor.

There is a certain Vanilla Custard juice that I love and have been trying to clone it for a few months now. I can't tell which atty has the original or my clone anymore!

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
I just made another batch horton. I added a little something else to bump up the vanilla!
FW - Rice Krispie @ 11%
FW - Vanilla Custard @ 8%
EM - @ 1.5%
TPA - Vanilla Cupcake @ 3%

The Vanilla Cupcake is a fantastic vanilla/bakery flavor.

There is a certain Vanilla Custard juice that I love and have been trying to clone it for a few months now. I can't tell which atty has the original or my clone anymore!
Thanks Pete..... I had to chuckle about your atty comment. I have so many bottles of "sample batches" sitting around with admittedly lousy labeling. :unsure: Honestly, they all taste pretty good and the differences are minor. I probably should dump several together and see what it tastes like. No way to reconstruct, but might be fun....
I'll give the new recipe a try and let you know. I'm still enjoying the first one and have dubbed it "P54". It can't get well steeped because of my wife....lol
Question for you.... I keep reading about EM helping a recipe initially then causing a muting of the flavor. I've yet to note this, but we are dealing with a pretty delicate flavor here. What are your thoughts? I like the EM and plan on continuing unless there are compelling reasons not to. TIA

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
Well ........ I can only speak from personal experience but I much prefer using low amounts of EM to "sweeten" my mixes than sucralose. In fact I find sucralose pretty disgusting. Just my opinion. Now I don't ever go overboard with sweetening juices anyway so I stick with between 1-2% EM. Perhaps if you go much higher it would have a muting affect on flavor, I don't know because I've not gone that high. I've heard that if you use higher percentages it starts to taste like Cotton Candy, which is what it's supposed to taste like in the first place.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
Well ........ I can only speak from personal experience but I much prefer using low amounts of EM to "sweeten" my mixes than sucralose. In fact I find sucralose pretty disgusting. Just my opinion. Now I don't ever go overboard with sweetening juices anyway so I stick with between 1-2% EM. Perhaps if you go much higher it would have a muting affect on flavor, I don't know because I've not gone that high. I've heard that if you use higher percentages it starts to taste like Cotton Candy, which is what it's supposed to taste like in the first place.

Moderation in other words.... thanks very much.

retrox

Flavor Chaser
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
NC, USA
Ha, speaking of dumping random samples, I just dumped ~6ml each of Rice Krispies and Apple Jacks into ~5ml of FW Bavarian Cream mainly just so I could free up a couple of my steeping bottles. Figured what the hey, filled a Kayfun with it, and pow! Instant awesome recipe! The cinnamon in the AJ gets a little overbearing for me after a while, but the BC mellows it nicely without muting it, and the RK gives the whole mix additional sweetness and body. I'm seriously about to pour the last few ml of my 5 Pawns Gambit down a drain so I can free up another bottle to put this mix in! :laugh:

My favorite thing to do with EM lately is add 1/4 teaspoon of ethyl vanillin to 10ml of a 10% EM/PG solution and use it to sweeten at 2-3%. It really punches up the flavor on any vanilla-centric recipe. I'm a hopeless vanilla junkie!

Reactions: Cam775

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
Ha, speaking of dumping random samples, I just dumped ~6ml each of Rice Krispies and Apple Jacks into ~5ml of FW Bavarian Cream mainly just so I could free up a couple of my steeping bottles. Figured what the hey, filled a Kayfun with it, and pow! Instant awesome recipe! The cinnamon in the AJ gets a little overbearing for me after a while, but the BC mellows it nicely without muting it, and the RK gives the whole mix additional sweetness and body. I'm seriously about to pour the last few ml of my 5 Pawns Gambit down a drain so I can free up another bottle to put this mix in! :laugh:

My favorite thing to do with EM lately is add 1/4 teaspoon of ethyl vanillin to 10ml of a 10% EM/PG solution and use it to sweeten at 2-3%. It really punches up the flavor on any vanilla-centric recipe. I'm a hopeless vanilla junkie!

Vanilla junkie here as well....;) I'm going to have to give your EV with 10%EM a try. Any particular brands or vendors you are using?
Do you know what % your Rice Krispies, Apple Jack, and Bav Cream were at? Curious to try and recreate your blend. Of course, I'll have to pick up some FW Bav Cream, but every new recipe entails some new flavor....lol. Reminds me of my fly tying hobby... every new fly I want to make calls for thread color or feathers I don't have.

retrox

Flavor Chaser
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
NC, USA
I get my EV and EM from ECX. As for exact percentages, who knows. I made a 10ml tester of each, and vaped only a full Kayfun of them (around 4ml) except for the BC, of which I also dripped a couple ml. Having vaped on this all day and given it some thought, I think I'd go with around 40% AJ, 35% RK, and 25% BC. My mutt tester mix is a little too smooth, and could use a bit more of the cinnamon bite from the AJ.

If I can manage to squeeze some FW Caramel Candy in there without losing something along the way, I think I'll have Gambit aced. :D

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
I get my EV and EM from ECX. As for exact percentages, who knows. I made a 10ml tester of each, and vaped only a full Kayfun of them (around 4ml) except for the BC, of which I also dripped a couple ml. Having vaped on this all day and given it some thought, I think I'd go with around 40% AJ, 35% RK, and 25% BC. My mutt tester mix is a little too smooth, and could use a bit more of the cinnamon bite from the AJ.

If I can manage to squeeze some FW Caramel Candy in there without losing something along the way, I think I'll have Gambit aced. :D

Thanks very much.... I appreciate your help. I have EM crystals and a 10% Ethyl Vanillin sol'n. Think it's just the opposite of what you are using....lol. Maybe I can figure it out if I don't get too frustrated doing the dilutions..... keep an eye out for a mushroom cloud over FL... it will be me "cogitating".

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
I feel that I have to mention this here. After being sick for a month with shortness of breath, I finally figured out what what causing my problems. The Flavor West Vanilla Custard flavoring! I am 100% sure of it. Maybe I just have some sort of allergy to it, I don't know, but I'm telling you all to please be careful. If you find yourself having the same symptoms, stop using it! I have thrown away all my Flavor West stuff and will not risk using it again. I've been vaping for over 4 years and have never had an issue of any kind prior to using this flavoring.
I don't want to sound like an alarmist here but the symptoms were so severe that I had to go for chest x-rays! After stopping using it, all the symptoms disappeared after two days.

horton

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2010
Left Side of Florida
I feel that I have to mention this here. After being sick for a month with shortness of breath, I finally figured out what what causing my problems. The Flavor West Vanilla Custard flavoring! I am 100% sure of it. Maybe I just have some sort of allergy to it, I don't know, but I'm telling you all to please be careful. If you find yourself having the same symptoms, stop using it! I have thrown away all my Flavor West stuff and will not risk using it again. I've been vaping for over 4 years and have never had an issue of any kind prior to using this flavoring.
I don't want to sound like an alarmist here but the symptoms were so severe that I had to go for chest x-rays! After stopping using it, all the symptoms disappeared after two days.

Thanks for the heads up, Pete..... It is concerning to hear what happened to you. We all need to be cautious about what we vape and understand the potential risks for allergies as well as ingredients that can cause harm. I'd love to see a breakdown of what is in these flavors, mainly the baddies, like acetyl. I gather it is either not available or FW won't make it available other than to give generic information.
Glad you are feeling better..... I'm sure that was quite a scare.

retrox

Flavor Chaser
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
NC, USA
Yikes, Pete! Was the shortness of breath noticeable at a resting heart rate or only with activity? Any abnormal amounts of phlegm or congestion, things of that nature?

I generally steer clear of custard flavorings these days, but FW's Bavarian Cream and Sweet Cream both get quite a bit of use in my household and they have the same sort of creamy notes that I've detected in a few custards, just not as pronounced. Probably acetoin, since FW claims their flavorings are diacetyl free. Perhaps that may be the culprit.

Have you ever used any of FW's other "cream" type flavors?

Pete54

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2009
Clearwater, Florida
No phlegm or congestion. When I tried to take a deep breath I just couldn't get there. Even with no activity. I threw away ALL my FW flavorings because if they use something that has that affect on my lungs in one flavor, I don't trust anything they make. Now this is just my experience with this flavoring. I can vape several other "store bought" Vanilla Custards without incident. There's just something there that tears me up!

retrox

Flavor Chaser
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
NC, USA
Can't say I really blame ya, Pete. Just took a few good deep "tester" breaths myself after reading your post since I've been vaping a lot of different FW stuff for the past few months. Thankfully my lungs feel great.

On a semi-related and on-topic note, I got One on One's cereal sampler in and mixed up some Rice K's, Apple J's, and Captain Cereal... and they're the exact same products sold by FW at Vaporrenu! It would seem that both companies source these flavorings from the same manufacturer. So you might want to steer clear of them as well to be on the safe side, Pete. :(

OoO's Fruity Hoops tastes *exactly* like Froot Loops and has earned a coveted spot in my daily rotation. It's been my breakfast vape all week. :D

vangrl27

ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2013
vancouver
No phlegm or congestion. When I tried to take a deep breath I just couldn't get there. Even with no activity. I threw away ALL my FW flavorings because if they use something that has that affect on my lungs in one flavor, I don't trust anything they make. Now this is just my experience with this flavoring. I can vape several other "store bought" Vanilla Custards without incident. There's just something there that tears me up!

Not sure if you're aware of this thread, but it's probably a good idea that you chucked your F.W

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...etyl-proprionyl-diacetyl-acetoine-help-5.html

Shilo

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2011
Here & There

Hope you are feeling better Pete and sorry to hear about this. I have noticed that excessive vanilla in nay mix makes me sneeze so I do use it on a limited basis and in very small percentages. I have not tried the flavorwest one but thanks for the heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread