Flavors with bad after taste what causes this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DogDriver

Aug 19, 2016
Michigan
Hello all,
I have not made my own e-juice in over 6 years. I had tried a many Lorann and I think its Capella or something. They were all HORRIBLE and maybe I was just adding too much, but never found one that tasted good.
Now I have 3 favorite flavors ... COFFEE, CARAMEL, and my number one... MAPLE. I have bought these from many different E-juice brands, yet EVERY single one I ever tried had this really gross after taste. Now these were pre-made juice. Expensive brands all USA made .
I just read on The Flavor Apprentice sight about the " Custard" issues and issues with something called Diketone and how they sell DX formulas without it.
Does anyone know if THAT is what makes Coffee, Caramel and Maple flavors taste like crap?
Cause they smell REALLY good and I get excited to try them and then about throw up after tasting it and end up throwing out the entire bottles. I want to get back into Mixing my own juice and would like to be able to make Maple etc without that nasty taste.

Reactions: Kenna

CagedSpam

ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2015
FoPo, Oregon

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Hi DD and welcome (back)!
Now I have 3 favorite flavors ... COFFEE, CARAMEL, and my number one... MAPLE. I have bought these from many different E-juice brands, yet EVERY single one I ever tried had this really gross after taste. Now these were pre-made juice. Expensive brands all USA made .
My experience with much of the commercial juice out there is that it is heavily flavored and this may be part of what you may have not liked. Especially since you have been vaping for several years. Our taste buds recover somewhat after we stop smoking and the strong flavoring we needed in the early days can become too much later on.
So, if you are still using commercial juice, you can try diluting the flavor by adding an unflavored PG/VG/nic% of your liking and see if that helps make that aftertaste go away.
I just read on The Flavor Apprentice sight about the " Custard" issues and issues with something called Diketone and how they sell DX formulas without it.
Does anyone know if THAT is what makes Coffee, Caramel and Maple flavors taste like crap?
Most likely not. These are most often attributed to rich/buttery/creamy/thick qualities in flavorings and are most often pleasant tasting (though I suppose anything can be overdone). In fact one of their uses is to cover up the more chemical nuances of artificial flavoring.
The exception to this is the butyric acid as CagedSpam mentioned. This is a naturally occurring acid that is found in a lot of dairy-based products and it too can add that buttery richness in very small amounts. Too much and you can start to get that sour vomit type of experience he was talking about. And a small portion of people are sensitive to it at any level.
I haven't noticed butyric acid being used a lot by flavor manufacturers though. Some, like TFA are using it in a few of their DX flavors, but they note their use in the flavor description in the same way they do diacetyl or acetion. Also, as an FYI, there is concern that butyric acid does not play nice with anything from the diketone family; that it (the butyric acid) can actually cause the diketones ind it's kin to remain active in our systems longer giving them a chance to do more harm. But I digress.
I have not made my own e-juice in over 6 years. I had tried a many Lorann and I think its Capella or something. They were all HORRIBLE and maybe I was just adding too much, but never found one that tasted good.
I want to get back into Mixing my own juice and would like to be able to make Maple etc without that nasty taste.
For mixing your own I would recommend the following:

-- Go slow, baby steps. I started reading threads here on ECF, got excited, jumped in with both feet by buying tons of flavors, lots of gear, copying lots of recipes, and making a LOT of mediocre to bad juice.

I didn't get to understand my individual ingredients first. It was kind of like reading a recipe that called for "fish" and not knowing the difference between anchovy, trout, halibut, salmon, or Gorton's frozen fishsticks! They are all "fish" but they taste nothing alike.

Likewise, almost EVERY flavor manufacturer makes at least one "coffee." and many will have 3, or more, when you start including kona, turkish, espresso, cappuccino, mexican, mocha, etc.... And the ALL taste different from one another. And they are all going to taste different to you than they are to me. I will like one at a higher percentage than you while a different flavor we may be the opposite. Unfortunately the only way to know is to taste them your self.

Which leads me to my next recommendation:

--Taste everything separately first. Put a few drops of whatever plain PG you are going to be mixing with on a freshly wicked dripper a vape it. Does have any unpleasant taste? If so, maybe try another brand. If not; repeat the process with whatever VG you are going to mix with and vape a few drops of that by its self.

Once you have tasted the PG and VG separately, you can add your nicotine concentrate to a PG/VG blend at your preferred ratio, to get your desired nicotine strength. Still no flavorings! Vape a few drops of this. This will let you know what your nicotine will taste like and how it might effect any future recipes. NEVER VAPE UNDILUTED NICOTINE!

Now you have an unflavored base that looks something like X%PG/Y%VG/Zmg per mL nic.

There are quite a few people who routinely vape this just as it is. The do it because it is easy/fast and you almost never get tired of it and it will satisfy nicotine cravings. Others, like myself, will vape it occasionally when our taste buds have gone into "flavor overload" and nothing tastes right/good. So we use an unflavored for a time until our taste comes back.

But what you are looking for here is what kind of flavor does this have to start. What sort of flavors is this base going to be adding to your actual flavors when you start tasting them. I have seen more DIYers blame a flavoring when it was actually a base component at fault.

Now comes the hard part; Pick a flavor. Just one flavor. and add it to your base. start at a low percentage and work your way up until you find your sweet spot. It may be 1%, 3%, 10%, 15% or even more. And there are even a few that you may want to use at less than one percent. It all depends on what tastes best to you.

I will add; don't expect every flavor to knock your socks off. Many of us might find a couple, or even a few, flavors that work as a stand-alone but most are going to need help. And that is where recipes come in. Right now your are just looking to see if this particular flavor can work (doesn't have any of those objectionable tastes, aftertastes you don't like), and at what percentage you like it best (you won't always want to mix at this percentage depending on what else is in the recipe but it gives you a nice ballpark starting point). This helps when you are creating your own recipes or evaluating other's recipes. If someone posts a recipe that uses flavor X at 15%, but you know you prefer it at 3%, you will understand that you may want to cut the percentage down in the recipe to start.

I am going to quit right now before ECF starts charging me a publishing fee... :facepalm:

But I will add one final recommendation before I post this; there are lots of good and helpful blogs that others have already posted. I am tagging @dannyv45 and @BrotherBob, who both regularly post a list of those blogs, in hopes that one or both of them will jump in here and share them with you.
I hope this was some help. Best wishes on your new DIY journey! :toast:

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2015
elsewhere
Hello all,
Cause they smell REALLY good and I get excited to try them and then about throw up after tasting it and end up throwing out the entire bottles. I want to get back into Mixing my own juice and would like to be able to make Maple etc without that nasty taste.
It is not the Diketones because my fav is Cap Vanilla custard V1.
Some of us are sensitive to the after taste of artificial sweeteners that many juices have.
I am sensitive to something else in many flavorings. Not sure what it is since they do not list ingredients.
I DIY and wind up tossing about 2/3 of the flavorings I try because of this adverse reaction to some ingredients.

DogDriver

Aug 19, 2016
Michigan
Robert, you just wrote exactly my issue !! glad I am not alone. I have not made my own in like 7 years or so. I just followed some calculator and never thought about whats IN the ..... I love REALLY sweet juices too. I have had double extra flavor added when I bought from EC blends where you can mix your own on their site. They have great prices and good juice too. The double extra flavor didnt bother me as long as it didnt have THAT taste to it. Its not the sweetner either that gets me. I have had them made with LOTS of extra sweetner. But what ever is in EVERY Maple, Caramel and coffee flavor as I have not found ONE no matter where it came from that DIDNT have that crappy taste. It is a lot like puke so I wonder if its not Butyric acid. What ever it is, they just dont taste CLEAN and fresh . First you taste the flavor for a few seconds, Then you taste the nasty taste for a long long time. Yet I have coconut, custard flavors etc that do not taste bad. SO I have no idea just WHAT is making them so gross. Wish someone from The Flavor Apprentice or who makes really good juice would chime in here. I have never had that issue with say ANML or Cuttwood , Twonk etc. The REALLY expensive ones OF COURSE !!!

Reactions: Kenna

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
I have bought these from many different E-juice brands, yet EVERY single one I ever tried had this really gross after taste. Now these were pre-made juice. Expensive brands all USA made .

May have the same thing as me, for about a quarter or maybe it was a third of the population artificial sweeteners will have a bitter or even sour aftertaste... The only sweetener that doesn't really bother me is EM, sucrose is the worst for me..

Have you ever tried sweetener in your coffee/tea?

Edit*

Should have read through...

Some of us are sensitive to the after taste of artificial sweeteners that many juices have.

pretty much that right there..

Rickb119

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2013
Greeley, CO, USA
Last edited:
i just think certain flavorings do this, it seems some are more a scent then a flavor.

1/2 the premade liquid i buy goes down the drain for this very reason.

i have just started buying some flavorings to make my own and found a few of these right off the bat.

it will be better for me just making my own now that i understand how easy it actually is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread