Not open for further replies.

CoreyDog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 29, 2016
Nottingham, UK
Hi all,

Thought I'd try a little experiment.

I was sorting through my DIY flavours today (How did I accumulate so many!) And started thinking, 'I never use some of these'

Then I remember why, either didn't like the flavour because I couldn't work the right recipe or it's just vile!

So what flavours do people have but never use and why not? And if anyone can maybe help out with a decent recipe to help others use these flavours, please go ahead.

• Blue Raspberry (TFA) - Just couldn't work a recipe to include it in. Fact has no aroma doesn't help.

• Iron Bru - Tried a single flavour recipe with this, vile.

• Lucozade - Vile on it's own so mixed with orange once, that strong overpowered orange and was still vile.

• Blackcurrant (TFA) - Another I got having lots of wonderful ideas... never used and cant think now what to do with it.

• Granny Smith Apple (TFA) - Think I bought the wrong Apple, always overwhelms everything else.

Few others but seems long enough now. So, go ahead.

man00ver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 10, 2014
Braselton, GA, USA
I'll play!

1. Almond Amaretto (TFA) - I love the liqueur, and I enjoyed vape Wild's "Amaretto Rush," so I bought this in my first batch of flavorings. On some bad advice, I mixed it up as a single flavor at 10%; it grossed me out and I haven't touched it since. Now that I'm writing this, I think I'll re-test it at 3%, and surely I can find a place for it in a mix or two.
2. Chocolate Coconut Almond Candy Bar (TFA) - Another early acquisition that I'd hoped would be a good one-shot single flavoring. It was a disappointment; needed a lot of breathing to get the alcohol out, and then seemed weak and inauthentic. It could be doctored up, but by the time I did that I could make a better version myself.
3. Cinnamon Coffee Cake (CAP) - This was not what I expected, but instead was a fiery cinnamon that fully overpowered any included pastry note (and could torch up pretty much anything I mixed it with). I successfully used it a couple times in miniscule amounts (0.4% or less) as a cinnamon spice, but I mostly leave it alone now.

jambi

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 20, 2014
SoCal
The list of ones I don't use is lots longer than the list of ones I frequently use. In other words I have too many dammed flavors.

Of course, there are a few that I avoid with disgust... :)

TFA Ripe Banana, should have named it Ripe Banana Peel Feet
INW Rhubarb
INW Raspberry
TFA Cantaloupe (melon rind? Really?)
TFA "Western"
INW Honey
FA Cocoa
FA Billberry, don't even like how it smells.

I have full bottles of all those. Anyone care to trade?

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Chocolate Coconut Almond Candy Bar (TFA) - Another early acquisition that I'd hoped would be a good one-shot single flavoring. It was a disappointment........It could be doctored up, but by the time I did that I could make a better version myself.

I had high hopes for it, too, when I ordered it. However, I did try to doctor it up, and made something I like (but not for an ADV), but the neighbor really likes. It's 1 of the 5 recipes he has me make for him on a regular basis. I mixed it with some TFA VBIC, TFA Maraschino Cherry (max. 2%, it's potent), and TFA Cotton Candy. I called it Cherry Chocolate Vanilla.

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Niagara Region, ON CANADA
Hi all,

Thought I'd try a little experiment.

I was sorting through my DIY flavours today (How did I accumulate so many!) And started thinking, 'I never use some of these'

Then I remember why, either didn't like the flavour because I couldn't work the right recipe or it's just vile!

So what flavours do people have but never use and why not? And if anyone can maybe help out with a decent recipe to help others use these flavours, please go ahead.

• Blue Raspberry (TFA) - Just couldn't work a recipe to include it in. Fact has no aroma doesn't help.

• Iron Bru - Tried a single flavour recipe with this, vile.

• Lucozade - Vile on it's own so mixed with orange once, that strong overpowered orange and was still vile.

• Blackcurrant (TFA) - Another I got having lots of wonderful ideas... never used and cant think now what to do with it.

• Granny Smith Apple (TFA) - Think I bought the wrong Apple, always overwhelms everything else.

Few others but seems long enough now. So, go ahead.

TFA Black Currant: One of my favorites!

Taste of Gods (clone of a Canadian e-juice)
TFA Black Currant 8.65%
TFA Coconut Extra 1%
CAP Golden Pineapple 4.75%
TFA Sweetener 1.5% (optional)
CAP Vanilla Custard v.1 4.25%

Black Mango (also posted on the Recipes for Dummies thread)
INW Mango 2% (alternatively can use TFA Mango @ 6% or 7%)
TFA Black Currant 6%
TFA Cotton Candy 1%
TFA Sweetener 1% (optional)

I happen to be vaping both these recipes right now (yes, in different tanks :p )
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I'll play along too.... TFA Rainbow Sherbert..... *blech* I can't find anything to use this in. Seems like no matter what it touches, it ruins :(

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Granny Smith Apple (TFA) - Think I bought the wrong Apple, always overwhelms everything else.

Here's 1 of Bill's Magic Vapor's recipes. I haven't tried this 1 yet, but I've liked all of his that I've tried so far. I'll most likely use the DX version of the BC in mine.

It's made with all TFA flavorings.

Caramel Candy Apple

Granny Smith Apple - 6%
Caramel Candy - 4%
Caramel Extra - 3%
Bavarian Cream - 3%
Cotton Candy - 5%

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I'm beginning to wonder if it's the flavors that are our worst enemy health-wise or just more FDA propaganda. We know about Popcorn Lung from Diacetyl and the dangers of some Cinnamon flavors. Our unfriendly FDA is beginning to issue vague assumptions about certain flavors killing Epitheliall cells when saturated with juice flavors.

This article narrows down the 5 flavors of 13 tested that caused ill effects to lung cells in the tests, but doesn't name them specifically.
E-Cigarette Flavorings Can Be Toxic to Lung Cells
Five flavors were found to decrease the cells’ ability to reproduce or perform their basic cellular functions. Epithelial cells make up an important protective layer in the airway and lungs.

“Because these e-liquids are not FDA regulated, we don’t know what chemical constituents make up all of these flavors,” Rowell said. “E-cigarettes are marketed as a safer alternative to traditional cigarettes because they don’t contain tobacco or tar, but the effects of inhaling many of the chemical constituents that create the flavor haven’t been tested.”

This one accuses the Surgeon General of launching scare campaigns.
Surgeon General Launches E-Cigarette Scare Campaign That Will Harm Public Health

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
This article narrows down the flavors that caused ill effects to lung cells in the tests.
E-Cigarette Flavorings Can Be Toxic to Lung Cells

I just spent a good while reading that linked article, as well as several lniked articles found within it. The "tests" done on the lung cells were done using specific eliquids (not flavorings), and were apparently from a single company - Vapor Girl.

IMO, in any scientific study, where broad generalizations are made...its results are suspect at best, if what was tested does not represent a very large number & variety of samples. Testing eliquids from only 1 company, and choosing a very limited number of specific ones from that company...doesn't even come close to producing reliable scientifc results that can then be use to form generalizations applicable to eliquids as a whole.

I put no faith in the results of any study, when those reported results are full of phrases like "might be", or "could be", or "potentially could", etc.

ceeceeisme

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2016
Niagara Region, ON CANADA
I just spent a good while reading that linked article, as well as several lniked articles found within it. The "tests" done on the lung cells were done using specific eliquids (not flavorings), and were apparently from a single company - Vapor Girl.

IMO, in any scientific study, where broad generalizations are made...its results are suspect at best, if what was tested does not represent a very large number & variety of samples. Testing eliquids from only 1 company, and choosing a very limited number of specific ones from that company...doesn't even come close to producing reliable scientifc results that can then be use to form generalizations applicable to eliquids as a whole.

I put no faith in the results of any study, when those reported results are full of phrases like "might be", or "could be", or "potentially could", etc.

I wholeheartedly agree JC and was composing a similar response! :thumb:

The only thing I would add is..... always follow the money trail.

Not only on the study and the generalized statements made in reporting, but also on the so-called "independent" website where it was posted (which is something that is getting more difficult to do these days).

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA

Exactly the reason I posted the article here. The FDA isn't concerned with weeding out specific flavors in the name of vaping safety. I think they are just building a media case against the industry using whatever sounds dangerous in the press. Word of mouth will spread the news that FDA found something bad.

Reactions: ceeceeisme

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Blackcurrant (TFA) - Another I got having lots of wonderful ideas... never used and cant think now what to do with it.
Not sure if there is a TFA version. I use the FA version (suppose to be similar to a berry flavor with sweet and tart notes) for accent at 0.5 to 1.5% max. This fruit flavor will easily overpower any mix. Now playing with a cheesecake mix with a dash of BC.

NU_FTW

Ultra Member
Dec 6, 2016

Reminds me of the Diacetyl study that they specifically got 30 different vendors juice but all were custard/cream/popcorn type flavored....

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Reminds me of the Diacetyl study that they specifically got 30 different vendors juice but all were custard/cream/popcorn type flavored....

The ecig industry and its large support organizations will expose whatever is going on. We'll find out more about the intent of the FDA. I suspect that it's a targeted strategy to spread concern. Too bad they don't publish a study that shows how many people who vape don't smoke anymore. That wouldn't be in their best interest considering that the tobacco settlement payments are still in effect until about 2025.

englishmick

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 25, 2014
Naptown, Indiana
I'll play!

1. Almond Amaretto (TFA) - I love the liqueur, and I enjoyed Vape Wild's "Amaretto Rush," so I bought this in my first batch of flavorings. On some bad advice, I mixed it up as a single flavor at 10%; it grossed me out and I haven't touched it since. Now that I'm writing this, I think I'll re-test it at 3%, and surely I can find a place for it in a mix or two.

Same here. I had some Amaretto, from VV I think, and it was one of my favorites before I started mixing. This TFA flavoring was so gross I couldn't finish the first tank, then I threw the bottle out. Didn't even try mixing it with anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread