Flooded Nautilus tank, and too hard to unscrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puff2K

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 10, 2015
USA
My Nauti is the hardest tank I own to unscrew. I always need to remind myself leave a tiny bit of slack when re-assembling it.

But, yeah, I bought a 3-pack of those jar openers; one for the kitchen, one of the office and one in my backpack. When my 'funs lock up, I do the same freezer ritual.
Yes, I tried to leave slack but then it leaks. Someone here did that on Wednesday or something, and it worked well how he did it.

I agree, I have a full size nautilus and it got stuck (I'll have to put it in the freezer once I'm home.

This is a mini nautilus and it's giving me so much grief.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Thank you. Both, I think. Since everyone who tries has so much trouble trying to open the tank, I've been just twisting off the whole base including the coil. (For the past week.)

As I recall, that is how it ought to be: base and coil unscrew from glass+chimney+drip tip. Tank is refilled upside down (drip tip facing down) fill to slightly below bottom of chimney. Screw on base+atomizer/coil.

The easiest way to clear a flood is a good solid SHAKE. While holding mod+tank point drip tip AWAY from anything you don't want juice on and then swing/shake the mod+tank like a sword (or like casting a fishing pole) and the extra juice will fly out the drip tip.

Reactions: Puff2K

Puff2K

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 10, 2015
    USA
    As I recall, that is how it ought to be: base and coil unscrew from glass+chimney+drip tip. Tank is refilled upside down (drip tip facing down) fill to slightly below bottom of chimney. Screw on base+atomizer/coil.

The easiest way to clear a flood is a good solid SHAKE. While holding mod+tank point drip tip AWAY from anything you don't want juice on and then swing/shake the mod+tank like a sword (or like casting a fishing pole) and the extra juice will fly out the drip tip.
    Oh okay, thank you!

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 11, 2015
    I've been using two Nautilus minis for over a year now. I have to use pliers each time to get the base loose. I'll only deal with it for so long before I'll end up using my Triton minis. They are great tanks, but a pain to work with. I usually have the coil stay in the tank when unscrewing it and have to put the coil back in the base. More trouble than it's worth sometimes. All the best to you and your situation. :)

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    My wife vapes the nautilus mini's and I do the coil changes and juice ups and they are a problem unscrewing the bases. Like others said, you basically need a pliers once that rubber real ages slightly. In a pinch, I have used a spare usb charging cord to grip the base and it works pretty good. wrap cord around base with one hand and pinch it close in and turn, it basically gives you a good grip

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Puff2K

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 10, 2015
    USA
    I've been using two Nautilus minis for over a year now. I have to use pliers each time to get the base loose. I'll only deal with it for so long before I'll end up using my Triton minis. They are great tanks, but a pain to work with. I usually have the coil stay in the tank when unscrewing it and have to put the coil back in the base. More trouble than it's worth sometimes. All the best to you and your situation. :)
    Thank you! Me too, at home I use pliers, but I haven't any here.

Reactions: Bonskibon

Puff2K

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 10, 2015
    USA
    My wife vapes the nautilus mini's and I do the coil changes and juice ups and they are a problem unscrewing the bases. Like others said, you basically need a pliers once that rubber real ages slightly. In a pinch, I have used a spare usb charging cord to grip the base and it works pretty good. wrap cord around base with one hand and pinch it close in and turn, it basically gives you a good grip

Thank you, I can try this here because I have 3 chargers here. But how do you mean to pinch the base?

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    Thank you, I can try this here because I have 3 chargers here. But how do you mean to pinch the base?

Just wrap the charger cord around the base tight and with your fingers hold both ends of cord right where the cord meets base and use the cord to loosen base. Your just using your fingers on one hand to turn the cord once it's cinched around base.

Puff2K

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 10, 2015
    USA
    Just wrap the charger cord around the base tight and with your fingers hold both ends of cord right where the cord meets base and use the cord to loosen base. Your just using your fingers on one hand to turn the cord once it's cinched around base.

Oh, okay! Yes, I can try this here. Thank you!

G-Fog

ECF Veteran
    Jul 5, 2016
    Canterbury, New Zealand
    But, yeah, I bought a 3-pack of those jar openers; one for the kitchen, one of the office and one in my backpack. When my 'funs lock up, I do the same freezer ritual.
    Good idea, something else in the vapers arsenal, is the vape band tank protectors, used as a grip to unscrew the base of your atty.

thetrucker

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 10, 2014
    Syracuse,NY
    Yes @28if I reckon that's what its all about.
    If only everyone in the world would help each other instead of fighting, what a world it would be.
    Like your avatar - IMAGINE
    Exactly the way it should be ...........Help Each Other....................instead of all the negative feelings that exist.........Society .. seems to be destroying itself from

within....................................sad.......................

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    Ottawa area, Canada
    Another vote for "hates this tank with a passion".

Both my wife and daughter was "sold" by the store that kept insisting that it was the greatest tank ever... I never liked it whatsoever, and every time that it was time to refill it was an nasty experience, where you'd have to wonder if you'd end up with a broken tank and glass through your hand or simply that it was the last time that it would even be opened, as even with pliers it was pretty drastic at times. I don't look fondly on those times at all.

If you're lucky, rubber bands or similar can work, but it's a gamble.

Puff2K

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 10, 2015
    USA
    Another vote for "hates this tank with a passion".

Both my wife and daughter was "sold" by the store that kept insisting that it was the greatest tank ever... I never liked it whatsoever, and every time that it was time to refill it was an nasty experience, where you'd have to wonder if you'd end up with a broken tank and glass through your hand or simply that it was the last time that it would even be opened, as even with pliers it was pretty drastic at times. I don't look fondly on those times at all.

If you're lucky, rubber bands or similar can work, but it's a gamble.
    Yes, I hope I'll be able to open the tank on the regular Nautilus. Last time I tried I couldn't do it even with the pliers. The mini which is the only tank I have here, I'm worried it will conk out for good.

At home I have a lot of eleaf GS air tanks, and they're easier to use. But I don't have any clean ones and I can't clean them here.

If my friend will bring me my new credit card (had a scare and killed the one I had) I can order new tanks and have them sent here, if they will let me.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2016
    Ottawa area, Canada
    I still find that many tanks can be harsh when it comes to the bottom deck, thank goodness for the top fills, I know that I'd never want another bottom feed tank.

But I do have a few tanks that when it's time to switch out the coil (cartridge or RTA deck), it can be a challenge. Some will come apart at the wrong spot and I end up with a completely disassembled tank to put back together afterwards.

I've yet to understand the companies that can't figure out that having some designs, patterns and such that could make the tank look better would also assist in getting some grip when you need to open them. Or stop making all the threads go in the same direction.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 26, 2012
    Texas
    Stop over tightening the base to tank.
    It just has to be tight enough to prevent leaking/seeping from the base to tank gasket/seal.

Tighten the head to base as tight as you can get it with thumb & index finger, stops head from sticking in chimney.
    Always make sure head is still tight into base when refilling, stops leaking into air chamber / flooding.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    On the big naughty, mine just started to get hard the last week- after having it since Aug '16.

I used to just tighten it with the vape band. When the vape band slipped on the glass, that's where I left it.

Dunno what changed other than that I cleaned it well around then. I'm going to try a thin washer on it so it doesn't go down so far...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread