Flooding Cartomizer on a DCT tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokin'Sandy

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK/USA
Well, im done with carto tanks.... it floods no matter what, took the pressure stuff and tried it out. no pressure in the tank and it floods, pressure in it and still floods, seals are fine i just dont get it... just going to order a vision stone tank, and deal with the inconsistancy, because any kind of liquid coming out of the connector bugs the hell out of me, i can't stand e-liquid even a drop getting on my pv's and its just a hassle to deal with carrying paper towels around with me everywhere just to clean up my tanks mess.
I'm about to join you on giving up on these. I've had mine about a week now and one carto worked for a couple of days. The other one flooded immediately. I'm still having to use it because I'm out of other things to use and it's driving me crazy...mouth full of juice, blowing the excess out quite often, gurggling and sticky juice all over the place. The bad thing is, is that I liked it for a couple of days and ordered another tank and some refills. I went and ordered a stardust today and will probably only use the tanks with the juices that crack the stardusts. I also ordered a Boge LR XL carto that I'll use just by itself and see how that goes. I even went so far as to re-order the Ego-T's fillerless atomizers again. I don't like those too well, but at least they were relatively trouble-free. There has to be something out there more hassle-free.

Last edited:

Jagellpuff

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2012
Tacoma, WA
I started using DCTs with SmokTech cartos last November and they were great.

Since Feb of this year they SUCK! I am not sure what SmokTech did but they can't make a carto to work to save their life. I have tried 3 diff suppliers now and have spent almost $100 on these things and less than 15% of them have worked now!

I have one tank that I can use Boge cartos, and so far it is great. I bought another tank and when I received it today they shipped the wrong item. So much for a great Easter.

Carto tanks aren't the problem, it is the manufacture of the cartos!

Jeff "Jagellpuff" via iPhone using Tapatalk

Davedice

Feb 21, 2012
LA
I just got my Provari today and I feel sick about the tank leaking. I switched from a ego and now feel like I made a mistake (in my heart of hearts, I know I did not). I bought mine in a shop and it was working fine and as soon as I was far enough away it started to leak.

I tried slow draws and it seems to help slightly but when I look sure enough there is juice leaking. Should I take the carto out and start all over?

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
Right now I'm on a tent camping trip. I'm using the new Xl mega 3ohm Boge cartos in a dctank. The last thing I want is to fiddle with flooding, gurgling cartos! These have been awesome in a tank!! I'm using two (two diff flavors) and they've been both going strong with great flavor for 5 days now! I started using one of them 8 days ago. I'm refilling them once a day (takes about 2 minutes) and ive had no problems at all..no dry hits..not even having to take any dry pulls! Both working..wicking..tasting..and performing perfect! Only one hole punched (using a hammer and screw)

Now that I have written this I'm sure that in the next few minutes they'll both start flooding and leaking lol

JungleAgent007

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2011
York, PA
Personally I think you just had a bad carto. Same thing happened to me the other day... 3 ml of fluid flooded right out the bottom hole in the span of an hour. No amount of clearing the excess, popping the tank open, or trying to dry the carto by pulling the tank past the holes would work. As soon as you sucked on it with the tank down the juice came right out the bottom.

Put a new one in and it's perfect again.

ChellyNelly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 26, 2011
Dartmouth, NS
The only time a carto in a tank floods (for me) is when there is an air leak or too much air pressure inside the tank. You can stand in front of a mirror and vape to see if there are any air bubbles coming from the top or bottom seal. If, while you are filling the tank and reseating it, there is any excess air inside the tank, the excess air pressure will force the juice into the hole in the carto and flood it and leak out the bottom of the carto. While filling the carto, you must allow the displaced air inside the tank to escape.
I drill fill holes in my tanks to make it easy to fill and eliminate the problem of leaving too much air inside the tank. I had this problem with the chibi, it was difficult to fill it while letting the displaced air escape and much of the time the carto flooded and dumped it's juice. I added o-rings around the grommets and drilled a fill hole and it works great now.

A couple weeks ago I had a carto that kept wanting to gurgle and leak out the bottom. I couldn't see any air coming in from the seals or from around the screw in my fill hole. I sucked the juice out and took the tank apart a couple times but it kept flooding. I figured something was just wrong with the carto and left it out of the tank.. I vaped it by cutting the condom and sliding it around the punched hole but it never did want to act right so I finally threw it away. Other than that, I've had no problems since I figured out the air pressure thing.

Here is a pic of my DC tank that I modded with a fill hole.

View attachment 85585

I just don't get it. I have a tank with a filling port like the one you have pictured (Mini Sub Tank). When I first got it, with the pre-punched Boge LR carto, it worked fantastically for almost 2 weeks, changed the carto and that one worked just fine until I had to change it. And then the problems began. I started getting flooding with every single damn carto I used (all Boge LR or SR), no matter if I punched 2 holes or 1, small or big, high or low, it didn't matter! Gurgling, leaking, hot juice drops spitting up into my mouth, ARRRGGGH!!!

Just reading through this thread, I've tried a couple things. One was to make sure I take long, slow, and smooth draws. Another was I put a 510 connector on. For about the last 1/2hr I haven't had any issues. Please everyone cross your fingers, toes, and other appendages :p Seriously though, I was just about to give up on these things which I don't want to do because I have a beautiful sandblasted Phiniac coming any day now and when the damn things don't flood, I absolutely love them.

Oooooh, the frustration :glare:

BTW, Donnah, may I ask what you use to create the fill port yourself and what kind of screw you're using? Looks great. Looks just like what the Mini Sub tank has which I really like. Thanks.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I just don't get it. I have a tank with a filling port like the one you have pictured (Mini Sub Tank). When I first got it, with the pre-punched Boge LR carto, it worked fantastically for almost 2 weeks, changed the carto and that one worked just fine until I had to change it. And then the problems began. I started getting flooding with every single damn carto I used (all Boge LR or SR), no matter if I punched 2 holes or 1, small or big, high or low, it didn't matter! Gurgling, leaking, hot juice drops spitting up into my mouth, ARRRGGGH!!!

Just reading through this thread, I've tried a couple things. One was to make sure I take long, slow, and smooth draws. Another was I put a 510 connector on. For about the last 1/2hr I haven't had any issues. Please everyone cross your fingers, toes, and other appendages :p Seriously though, I was just about to give up on these things which I don't want to do because I have a beautiful sandblasted Phiniac coming any day now and when the damn things don't flood, I absolutely love them.

Oooooh, the frustration :glare:

BTW, Donnah, may I ask what you use to create the fill port yourself and what kind of screw you're using? Looks great. Looks just like what the Mini Sub tank has which I really like. Thanks.

Here are the thumb screws and here is the drill and tap :)

Shiryo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
SoCal
First time I ever bring the DCT out of the computer room and into the public... Thing starts to gurgle, first thing that comes to mind... Damnit, it's flooded. Yep, it was flooded. Spend about an hour in class cleaning it up and getting profusive leaking everywhere.

Finally get home, plan was to pull out carto, take out as much liquid of the carto as possible and empty tank, was half full, about 3ml.

Go to pull out carto from tank. Bottom cap pops off. 3ml of Pink Spot Vapor Grasshopper. In. My. Hand! I'm raging ...... off now.

Blow out as much liquid into the 30ml bottle, I swear at least 2ml was salvaged out of just the carto...

Pop carto back into the tank and then fill tank up halfway. Instant bubbles, carto is filling back up. Sounds good. Vapes decent so far.

Hopefully I solved the issue for now. ...... that I blew away around 2ml into napkins and then 3ml into the sink. Never had this issue for about a week of using this tank and carto.

Smoke Tech LR Carto and 6ml Tank.

Shiryo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2012
SoCal
Vaped about 1-2ml so far through the DCT since I posted. Was starting to have a very ever so slight dry atty/wick taste. I did a few dry pulls and saw a few bubbles. Kept doing it just barely enough to see the liquid almost colorize the visible filler material. Vaped and it was better.

To further avoid another repeat of my earlier experience in a couple hours when I leave for school (I haven't slept since my last post, above). I popped the drip tip off, and slid the tank up the carto just enough to vent the tank. Slid the tank back on and saw a very tiny bubble go up. Vaped it and it as just like it was when I first experienced the Smok Tech DCT and carto a few days ago!

Guess these tanks just need to be vented every ml or so, that's what i'll do from no on at least.

KillFace

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2012
Toronto, On.
I discovered a way to fix flooding when it happens.

There has to be at least enough juice gone from the tank so that when you tip it upside down, the juice doesn't cover the hole(s).

Take it off the PV, tip upside down, and then blow into a paper towel. This will get rid of excess juice and not refill it from the blowing.

This is not a fix to prevent flooding, but it will fix a flood that's happened.

Otherwise, just don't pull too hard.

TheLizinator

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2009
Indianapolis, IN
I didn't have leakage until I got my last order of cartos to go in my tank. These are different--they have 3 holes instead of one. I liked the single hole and never had problems with it. I decided to plug up two of the holes with some orthodontic wax I had around. I put a teensy piece of wax over a hole, made sure most went inside the hole, then scraped off the excess before slipping it back into the tank. Works great. Now I can use the half dozen hole-y cartos that would otherwise land in the infinite cast-off pile on my modding table.

elb7

Verified Member
Mar 26, 2012
Massachusetts
I discovered a way to fix flooding when it happens.

There has to be at least enough juice gone from the tank so that when you tip it upside down, the juice doesn't cover the hole(s).

Take it off the PV, tip upside down, and then blow into a paper towel. This will get rid of excess juice and not refill it from the blowing.

This is not a fix to prevent flooding, but it will fix a flood that's happened.

Otherwise, just don't pull too hard.

THANK YOU! that worked - and saved me a couple mils of AltCig's Butter Mint (one of my favs ;))

chemsoldier83

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2012
Mass
Mine only flood towards the end of their usefulness ( 4 - 6 days). When that happens I just swap out a new carto when the tank is empty. Its not like cartos cost much.

On the rare occasions that I flood one by accident while filling I just twist up a paper towel and dab the inside for a few minutes. Almost always fixes the issue.

romaniac

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2009
Las Vegas, USA
www.jazzcartopipe.com
I have been dealing with tanks for a while now on because i sell the tank kits for the pipes I make. This is my opinion on the issue.
There are a multitude of reasons that cause the flooding or gurgling in Cartotanks.
1. O-rings are very important the caps o-ring and especially the internal smaller o-rings that seal the cartomizer itself. The internal o-rings are damaged most of the time when the cartomizer is inserted in the tank. The sharp edges of the cartomizer end will cut and shred the small o-rings and for most of the time we will not know that. Using a cone shape tank tool will when replacing cartomizers in a tank will save you the aggravation of a leaking tank. Every time when you try to fill a DCT and you pull the cartomizer down and push it back through the cap you will add additional damage to the o-rings inside the cap. This is where using a tank with a filling port will also save a lot of frustration. Removing the upper cap of the tanks is another reason for early and rapid degradation of the o-rings inside the cap and the ones that seal between the cap and the tank tube. Solution: a filling port on the side of the tank.
2. Gurgling is the end result of excessive amounts of e-liquid inside the tank cartomizer. This can be caused by a combination of a multitude of factors. The VG/PG ratio of the e-liquid, the size or number of pre-punched holes in the cartomizer, level of e-liquid in the tank personal vaping style and the quality of the cartomizer itself.
a) The VG/PG ratio is important because liquids wit different viscosities will have different fluid properties. A 100% VG e-liquid in a tank with a small pre punched hole will result in an immediate burnt taste due to the inability of the thicker e-liquid to flow fast enough in to the cartomizer filler. Then we may think that a bigger hole will solve that problem but that is not entirely true. A bigger hole will work better in the beginning but once the cartomizer gets hot the high temperature will warm up and heat up the liquid lowering its viscosity and creating flooding in the cartomizer. For this reason is better to have smaller holes than or two bigger holes because both VG and PG will thin out even more during the use of the tank and a smaller hole will be more restrictive.
b) The Air Bubble. Most of flooding is caused by the working temperature of the cartomizer used in the tank. A hot cartomizer will heat up the e-liquid and will cause the expenditure of the air bubble inside the tank. Air will expand with the rise in temperature. When the tank is full the air volume is low enough not to matter but less liquid will be left in the tank the bigger the air bubble and more pressure that will be created by the expanding air pocket. This pressure will push the hot and thinned e liquid much faster inside the cartomizer creating flooding and gurgling. Gurgling is always more often present when the e-liquid level in your tank is low or very low for this reason.
c) Vaping Style. This can be the problem and the solution in using a Cartotank. Chain vaping is the number one gurgling problem. Chain vaping will overheat the cartomizer, thin out the e-liquid and expand the air bubble forcing more e-liquid in the cartomizer. Hard draws will also draw more e-liquid inside the cartomizer adding to the factors described above.
The best result in using a Cartotank depends of how low we will able to keep the temperature of the cartomizer, and that is what gives different results for the same device among different users. Slow long draws and enough time between them will keep the cartomizer cool and keep problems away.
If gurgling occurs, unscrew the tank turn it upside down making sure that the holes in the carto are above the e-liquid level and blow the excess e-liquid from the cartomizer in a paper towel. This will be a temporary solution. Ideally will be the use of a cool running cartomizer which I have not found or a vaping style that will prevent high operating temperature of the cartomizer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread