Not open for further replies.

JustJulie

CASAA
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA
The first of three committee hearings for this bill is on Tuesday. We've sent an alert to Florida members but we're not turning on the heat just yet. So for now, it's a rather quiet Call to Action.

If you live in Florida and did not receive an email, please check your spam folder. If you didn't get an email (and it's not in your spam folder), Florida residents should update their contact information at Registration. (This link can be used both to join CASAA and also to update your information. Make sure that the box is checked to opt into receiving emails from us.)

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Saw that JJ. Let us know what you'd like to see in S FL. Lot of vapers here particularly in Dade, Broward and Palm Beach County. I would love to think we can pitch in.

Good luck and thank you for the heads up. Hasn't hit the funny papers here yet.

:)

Last edited:
Reactions: JustJulie

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
That's my read ros. A pretty nasty precedent. I think the law could and would be interpreted that way — possession in a smoking prohibited space would be an infraction. That includes places of business such as offices and stores so a de facto prohibition. In normal times I would consider such a submission politically gratuitous but in the all out jihad against vaping we see being forced upon us by the centralists I think any kind of sellout is possible. Have you seen Project Veritas latest videos on the edu publishing biz?…It's all about the bling.

Hope more peeps with a legal and legislative background in FL will kick in here soon. I'm familiar with process in two states and my own unfortunately not. I gather this bill goes to committee (so it's early in the process) but I'd like to know more about the authors and if possible its support there so these individuals can be red tagged. So the study begins. Don't think it's much of a threat at this time but it bears watching. FL has unfortunately served as the origin and gestation point for a lot of good legislation that's gone national. It's also served as the test bed for some of the extremes of regressive centralists historically, e.g. the origin of the first of the anti-tobacco federal lawsuits that evolved into the federal class action. So I hope more people will keep an eye on this developing tropical storm. It will serve to distract us from attention to the national character of our efforts at opposition if it gathers wind.

Good luck all.

Last edited:
Reactions: anjelvape77

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
That's my read ros. A pretty nasty precedent. I think the law could and would be interpreted that way — possession in a smoking prohibited space would be an infraction. That includes places of business such as offices and stores so a de facto prohibition.
Then I suppose this is a tactical move. They wrote the bill with language intended to get their opponents (us among them) to focus on the most outrageous parts, in the hope that we we'll accept a less outrageous "compromise".

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Then I suppose this is a tactical move. They wrote the bill with language intended to get their opponents (us among them) to focus on the most outrageous parts, in the hope that we we'll accept a less outrageous "compromise".

Criminalizing the possession of any smoking cessation device? Ya think?

SOP for the regulators. The illusion of compromise (it's ours to begin with, like liberty and property). The most overt political feint is the assumption of authority. We are plagued with it for want of public erudition. The legislators created the gray zone with the juice sales for minors revisions to the smoking act last year I believe (where the line was crossed with nary a peep on what is tobacco). This no doubt was seen by many at the time as a sensible compromise, that first step for the children. However, the sharp clawed cat of appropriated authority was let out of the bag. Smoking legislation goes back a decade or more (now magically, vaping). To prevent a plethora of jurisdictional variations at the county level, they reserved authority to the state legislature as they had in the past, one of the first states to invoke uniform concealed handgun licensing. At least they're consistent. Most peeps don't realize that giving or permitting gov power grabs doesn't necessarily mean they'll solve a problem; or in the manner that they want; or in fact not promote its exact opposite result; or, merely the pointless expression of giving away ones power to make ones own choices. When legislators invoke governance in the manner done here you know its going to cause trouble for everyone. I'd bet my bottom that however this noise goes there'll blossom a bed of mutant anti-vape mushrooms in its shadows. They'll be far better replacements for the outrageous error of a proposal submitted and for which we should all be grateful.

Government is a selfish master and seldom gives back what is willingly allowed for them to undertake.

Good luck all.

Last edited:

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    So they're going to search people? Sounds unconstitutional (and fascist).

I wish I could assume the population as a whole would respond to these kinds of measures, they show how out of control our government is. If I really thought this would wake people up, I'd say bring on the laws, you'll get what's coming to you. But most people hate smoking and anything that looks like it, and it's not a Big Issue like international terrorism or something, so probably no matter how outrageous it gets most will ignore it or applaud the nazis. At least until it comes for them.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Florida has been one of the most vape friendly environments in the country from what I've seen personally and read published. I've seldom encountered the social stigma attached to smoking exhibited by the public at large or the preponderance of businesses here…towards vaping. I'd name a few of the good guys but wouldn't want to see them targeted by anti's. There are a few major restaurant chains as exceptions but by and large it's been pretty sane here since I quit in 2013. In fact you can vape in many malls, many stores most restaurants and bars Iv'e frequented. Most typically I've seen curiosity which I tend to reward with a hello and a lot of encouragement. In this kind of environment the average non-vaper wouldn't even think their government is wasting the time…until its too late. Such was the case in the 90's too when smoking here in the deep South was as right as rain. Until the political hammer dropped.

Good luck all.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. —Groucho Marx

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 12, 2014
    I believe the owner of a public accomodation can ban anything or anyone from his premises with our without cause (civil rights violations excepted). I suppose the propriator of a public accomodation could say nobody can be on his premises in posession of a book or magazine or electronic cigarette. But could government pass a law saying that posession of books and magazines and electronic cigarettes are not permitted on privately owned public accomodations even though those items are otherwise legal? I bet this kind of defacto ban has been tried and tested in court in the past otherwise we'd see this tactic used a lot.

B2L

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 14, 2012
    Jacksonville, FL
    I got the call to action, other than showing up in Tallassee are there any other steps I/we can take at this time? I've written my representatives till I am blue in the fingers and have only gotten the rubber stamped "we appreciate your intrest but shut up and go away" response each time.

squee

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 12, 2013
    Central CT
    Reactions: MacTechVpr

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL

classwife

Admin
    Admin
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 9, 2010
    Wesley Chapel, Florida
    carrying, or possessing a nicotine dispensing device?

"or inhaling, exhaling, carrying, or possessing a nicotine dispensing device"

So, is this how it would be ?...you are a user of one of the <cough> marvelous <cough> "FDA Approved" nicotine patches (it dispenses nicotine transdermally right ?) and wear one to work, or to the grocery - you would then be a criminal ?

What the hell is the matter with people ?

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL
    Exactly. This legislation is starting out predictably…as the threat of prohibition. As Rossum earlier suggested, it's a tactic to which we should submit with grateful accommodation that they'll maybe let us try an Ego at a vape shop. Oh no, we won't do that just yet but we can't sell to children. That opened the door.

It's to marvel at as Mr. Harrison would seem the exemplary champion of FL small business. Of the individual right of property and choice however there would seem to be some internal conflict that remains to be understood.

Good luck all. :)

Reactions: Rossum

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 24, 2013
    Hollywood (Beach), FL

Yep, sadly. And Mr. Harrison just may have pulled the short straw to run with this. Politics.

My question for you and @JustJulie is whether anyone from CASAA's attending this meet up? Someone who can mebe keep a watch as to where this jibe is heading? Whose really doin' the heavy lifting for this on the committee? Don't buy Mr. Harrison just woke up out of bed one fine morning with this marvelous idea all by his lonesome. Just sayin', as FSFA and VISTA will be there, I expect.

Good luck all. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread