Fluid on my Lungs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donners

Jul 12, 2012
Ireland
Hi,

I've been vaping for about 6 years now with nothing but good things to say about it.
Recently I developed a chest infection that took two rounds of antibiotics to clear.
While I was sick I could not vape as it caused a build up of fluid in my lungs and I had a tight chest.
Since I have recovered from the chest infection I am still getting a build up of fluid on my lungs every time I vape.
I have started smoking again as it is the only thing that does not cause the fluid build up.
I would much rather vape but I need to figure out what is happening as I am wheezing like a whistle after a good vape.

I am vaping sub ohm at about 30W with 6mg juice 80/20 VG/PG.
I'm wondering is the high VG causing the blockages because it's thicker?
I'm thinking about going back to above ohm vaping with a higher PG juice as an experiment to see if that does the trick.

Has anyone experience with this happening to them?

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Since you recently recovered from a 'chest infection' sounds like something you should ask your doctor about.

Many people myself included have a sensitivity to high % VG liquids, heavy tight chest, wheezing up to difficulty taking a breath.
I have no problems with 50/50, some folks can stand higher % vg, some can't take over 20% vg.

The Rebel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2010
Grand Rapids, Michigan
I was having some similar issues as well, feeling congested, always felt like I had a phlegm buildup at the back of my throat. I was trying out a few different sub ohm tanks at the time with higher VG juices. Once I went back to a Kayfun and a 1.2 ohm coil @ 17 watts I cleared up pretty quickly. I vape a 33% VG juice now and haven't had any issues to speak of. Might be a VG thing, might be related to something else. Like Coastal said, consulting your doctor is always a good thing.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Hi,

I've been vaping for about 6 years now with nothing but good things to say about it.
Recently I developed a chest infection that took two rounds of antibiotics to clear.
While I was sick I could not vape as it caused a build up of fluid in my lungs and I had a tight chest.
Since I have recovered from the chest infection I am still getting a build up of fluid on my lungs every time I vape.
I have started smoking again as it is the only thing that does not cause the fluid build up.
I would much rather vape but I need to figure out what is happening as I am wheezing like a whistle after a good vape.

I am vaping sub ohm at about 30W with 6mg juice 80/20 VG/PG.
I'm wondering is the high VG causing the blockages because it's thicker?
I'm thinking about going back to above ohm vaping with a higher PG juice as an experiment to see if that does the trick.

Has anyone experience with this happening to them?

Talk to your doctor.

That said, I've been vaping three years and just got over walking pneumonia myself, which took, just like you, two rounds of antibiotics to get over. (And when I say just got over I mean just got over. I'm still on the second round of antibiotics, but feeling much better finally)

But like you, I couldn't vape at all while I was at the sickest.. I am back to vaping but I'm still doing so sparingly, what I've done is to increase my nicotine level and then just take a puff or two when I have to. (This might help you to get the nicotine you need while not vaping very much, I'm finding it quite helpful in reducing the amount I'm vaping)

All that said, vg has a tendency to give more of a heaviness in your chest especially when you are vaping at higher wattages. Your best bet might be going to a higher level of pg and vaping mtl at lower wattage with a higher nicotine level in general. If you do that for a year or so it may be helpful to clearing your lungs out a bit and giving them a rest from the higher vg levels.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Your lungs may simply be sensitive due to having a chest infection, OR, perhaps after all this time vaping, you've become slightly sensitive to VG, and do need to go to a more MTL setup, with much lower VG. I found the opposite in vaping, VG is fine for me, but I actually worsened a pneumonia starting vaping at a PG/VG mix, and thinking that I'd be smoking less and improving my sx,-- no. I actually made them worse. To be honest, I'd dual used with SOME PG in the past and didn't notice a problem, but since I was dual using, I sometimes think smoking "masked" any issues I might have been having. I did cough, some, but ascribed it to smoking. That is not the case now that I've figured out what my issue was.

I'd agree with everyone on consulting your doctor, as if your lungs got overstressed to the point that you can't inhale, sounds like a fairly serious issue, I might also consider No Flavoring for a while as your lungs settle down.

The other thing you COULD try is not inhaling at all, just doing the Mouth in to Nose exhale to continue vaping and give your lungs a break, I'd still use a MTL setup for this, as doing that type of inhale is almost impossible with the amount of vapor a DL hit causes....

Keep in mind I'm not a doctor, I am some random person on the internet. I'd been ill for so long I was willing to do the VG only experiment for myself, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it to others, necessarily, without consulting a doctor...

I hope your lung health settles down soon, I think trying high PG and a MTL setup is a perfectly reasonable idea, but I'd chat with your health provider first, just to be on the safe side.

Anna

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
Last December I had an awful case of flu...along with my COPD, I had real problems. I have always found I do better with PG dominant liquid. Usually vape 80% PG/20% VG. Higher VG gives me a heavy lung feeling. I also found that, while I was sick, going back to simpler devices like an Evod or Protank (less vapor) helped. On gunky days, I still might pick up an Evod.

RainSong

An adult who likes flavors.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2016
Tempe, Arizona, United States
As always, good idea to touch base with your healthcare provider.

I haven't had any trouble with lung infections, in fact been sick less this past year than in recent years as a smoker, but higher vg gives me a heavy lung feeling. I'm currently at 60vg/40pg but considering going even lower.

Good luck!

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
As always, good idea to touch base with your healthcare provider.

I haven't had any trouble with lung infections, in fact been sick less this past year than in recent years as a smoker, but higher vg gives me a heavy lung feeling. I'm currently at 60vg/40pg but considering going even lower.

Good luck!
Same here, I find that the heavier VG liquids give my lungs a "full" feeling. 50/50 and I'm fine.
Getting sick? Never, unless my puppy decides to sneak me a kiss after his "bath"[emoji190]

Sent from the future

Donners

Jul 12, 2012
Ireland
Since you recently recovered from a 'chest infection' sounds like something you should ask your doctor about.

Many people myself included have a sensitivity to high % VG liquids, heavy tight chest, wheezing up to difficulty taking a breath.
I have no problems with 50/50, some folks can stand higher % vg, some can't take over 20% vg.
I think this is something I will explore. I need to get some high PG juice and try that.

Reactions: stols001

Donners

Jul 12, 2012
Ireland
I was having some similar issues as well, feeling congested, always felt like I had a phlegm buildup at the back of my throat. I was trying out a few different sub ohm tanks at the time with higher VG juices. Once I went back to a Kayfun and a 1.2 ohm coil @ 17 watts I cleared up pretty quickly. I vape a 33% VG juice now and haven't had any issues to speak of. Might be a VG thing, might be related to something else. Like Coastal said, consulting your doctor is always a good thing.
I'll try out my old Nautilus with a 1.6 ohm coil and let you know how that works out. It'll be hard going back to above ohm vaping after such a long time.

Donners

Jul 12, 2012
Ireland
Talk to your doctor.

That said, I've been vaping three years and just got over walking pneumonia myself, which took, just like you, two rounds of antibiotics to get over. (And when I say just got over I mean just got over. I'm still on the second round of antibiotics, but feeling much better finally)

But like you, I couldn't vape at all while I was at the sickest.. I am back to vaping but I'm still doing so sparingly, what I've done is to increase my nicotine level and then just take a puff or two when I have to. (This might help you to get the nicotine you need while not vaping very much, I'm finding it quite helpful in reducing the amount I'm vaping)

All that said, vg has a tendency to give more of a heaviness in your chest especially when you are vaping at higher wattages. Your best bet might be going to a higher level of pg and vaping mtl at lower wattage with a higher nicotine level in general. If you do that for a year or so it may be helpful to clearing your lungs out a bit and giving them a rest from the higher vg levels.
I have been smoking cigarettes for the last month or so since the chest infection and my lungs are fine again but I don't like cigarettes so I'm trying different things to get back to vaping. The suggestions here seem to say that VG is the issue so I'll look at reducing that. One night of sub-ohm vaping seems to bring back the phlegm in the back of my throat. I'll stick with it until I get it right.

Donners

Jul 12, 2012
Ireland
Your lungs may simply be sensitive due to having a chest infection, OR, perhaps after all this time vaping, you've become slightly sensitive to VG, and do need to go to a more MTL setup, with much lower VG. I found the opposite in vaping, VG is fine for me, but I actually worsened a pneumonia starting vaping at a PG/VG mix, and thinking that I'd be smoking less and improving my sx,-- no. I actually made them worse. To be honest, I'd dual used with SOME PG in the past and didn't notice a problem, but since I was dual using, I sometimes think smoking "masked" any issues I might have been having. I did cough, some, but ascribed it to smoking. That is not the case now that I've figured out what my issue was.

I'd agree with everyone on consulting your doctor, as if your lungs got overstressed to the point that you can't inhale, sounds like a fairly serious issue, I might also consider No Flavoring for a while as your lungs settle down.

The other thing you COULD try is not inhaling at all, just doing the Mouth in to Nose exhale to continue vaping and give your lungs a break, I'd still use a MTL setup for this, as doing that type of inhale is almost impossible with the amount of vapor a DL hit causes....

Keep in mind I'm not a doctor, I am some random person on the internet. I'd been ill for so long I was willing to do the VG only experiment for myself, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it to others, necessarily, without consulting a doctor...

I hope your lung health settles down soon, I think trying high PG and a MTL setup is a perfectly reasonable idea, but I'd chat with your health provider first, just to be on the safe side.

Anna
I agree with what you are saying but I've heard bad things about exhaling vape out your nose. I can't recall the details but there was some chatter about the negative effects.

Donners

Jul 12, 2012
Ireland
Last December I had an awful case of flu...along with my COPD, I had real problems. I have always found I do better with PG dominant liquid. Usually vape 80% PG/20% VG. Higher VG gives me a heavy lung feeling. I also found that, while I was sick, going back to simpler devices like an Evod or Protank (less vapor) helped. On gunky days, I still might pick up an Evod.
Do you find vaping good for COPD? My father has bad COPD and I never suggested vaping to him as I thought the lungs would not be able to absorb the liquid vapour inhaled.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
People with COPD who vape have often found improvements with their lung function, compared to continuing cigarettes. I'd recommend a MTL vape for your dad with high nic and low wattage, and in consultation with his doctor. Some COPD patients who've had trouble inhaling do the mouth to nose thing-- nicotine is easily absorbed by the mucus membranes, so if he learns to keep it in his mouth, then exhale through his nose, he won't be stressing his lungs.

I'm not aware of the "dangerousness" of a nose exhale, though I could see some folks getting nasal irritation if they are sensitive. I'm not. In fact during oral surgeries I *inhaled* vape through my nose, down my throat, and then back out my nose. I will say that doing it that way irritated my nose by drying it the *slightest* amount but it wasn't like I had nosebleeds or anything, though I was happy to go back to my usual style of vaping-- MTL- to exhale M and nose. For some reason the nose exhale is less irritating, I may be absorbing some of the nic first in my mouth and nose though, so that may be the reason for no irritation doing it that way. It's the only reason I can think of at the moment.

But, if given the go ahead by his doc, I see no reason that your dad couldn't make vaping work in some fashion, and if he switches entirely he may see benefit over time in his COPD sx. The guy who first introduced me to vaping had a portable oxygen tank, but his sx still improved a great deal, I watched him go from paper white to normal looking and he used his tank somewhat less....

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread