Travel and Vaping Flying with gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissBlue

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2014
Lansdowne, PA, USA
hey y'all, i searched the forum and all the flying and airline threads are years old... so am looking for current info.

The airline website now has written rules about no e-cigs and specifically, no lithium batteries - they make you click to agree that you will not have them. even so, I'm fairly confident i could get a box mod through, packed in with cosmetics, as they may not be easily recognizable to the (ahem) rocket-scientist TSA agents as an "e-cigarette".

but has anyone flown recently with batteries? and were you successful or did they take them? :(

if i have to order new batts and ship them in advance to where i'm going i guess i can do that :rolleyes: even though it's kind of a PITA. Would much prefer the ease of just bringing them.

:vapor: TIA, would appreciate hearing any stories of successful air travels. :D

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
Have read this?
The TSA Blog: TSA’s 2017 Spring Break Travel Tips

My TSA - Home Airport

Whatever you do DON'T try to hide anything.
I was an Operations Manager for an airline at O'Hare for over 10 years, we would test security on their screening.

Make sure all your eliguid is not in it's tanks, put in bottles in a zip lock bag. Your batteries need to be inside a case where they cannot touch each other or anything else in you carry on. Don't keep them in your mod(and definitely not a battery charger).
When in doubt you can always ask the TSA yourself. The airlines will not allow batteries in your checked luggage and you cannot vape during the flight.(check with your airline.
Hope this helps.

Sent from tomorrow

Last edited:

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I flew in and out of 6 airports in the US last summer, and had no trouble at all...taking my mods, tanks, eliquids, etc. in my carry-on.

I took 3 mods that had internal batteries, as well as a couple eGo 1100mAh batteries. I just made sure they were absolutely positively turned off.

I tool (3) 50mL bottles of eliquids in plastic dropper bottles. All were in the same 1 quart sized Ziplock baggie with my other liquids, gels, or pastes. However, you can take up to 3.4oz bottles of liquids (about a 100mL bottle). There is no limit on the total ozs. you're taking, as long as they all fit in that 1 baggie.

Never had a screener even question those things in my carry-on, nor did I have to remove the whole baggie at 5 of the airports going through screening. Just 1 airport had the sign that everyone needed to remove their baggie from carry-ons when going through screening.

MissBlue

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2014
Lansdowne, PA, USA
tonee, thanks, appreciate the effort. but am aware of, and have been doing, all those things... i just haven't flown in over a year.

so, I have checked the guidelines - that's what I'm asking about. - it seems that the airlines have now caught on to vaping, because there are now NEW rules in place, which specifically say "no lithium batteries" - and which they actually make you click a checkbox to agree to, before you can even book the ticket.

What I'm looking for is people who have flown very recently with these new regulations in place. Asking how strictly they were enforced - were people able to carry batteries onboard without issue? Or was it uber-strictly enforced and batteries were confiscated.

thankee ;)

MissBlue

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2014
Lansdowne, PA, USA
ah, ok JC, that's kinda what i'm looking for. i've flown lots with stuff before - i know the drill about emptying tanks, juice in the ziploc bags, etc.
My question is more regarding if the TSA knows what the individual airlines prohibit - and do they enforce the battery thing. that's the only thing i am concerned about. Tank and juice in the ziploc bag will be fine i'm sure. am only going for a couple days, won't need much.

i don't know what 'types' of lithium batteries are specified by this new regulation, but American airlines has a whole page of things with red X's on them that you cannot carry - including a lovely little photo of a vape 'pen' and verbage prohibiting "lithium batteries" - they don't say what kind, exactly.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
tonee, thanks, appreciate the effort. but am aware of, and have been doing, all those things... i just haven't flown in over a year.

so, I have checked the guidelines - that's what I'm asking about. - it seems that the airlines have now caught on to vaping, because there are now NEW rules in place, which specifically say "no lithium batteries" - and which they actually make you click a checkbox to agree to, before you can even book the ticket.

What I'm looking for is people who have flown very recently with these new regulations in place. Asking how strictly they were enforced - were people able to carry batteries onboard without issue? Or was it uber-strictly enforced and batteries were confiscated.

thankee ;)
Sorry, I assume for some reason that it was a first time flyer Q.
So, it's the airline that is saying you cannot take liion batteries onboard in the cabin with you and not the TSA. One is a federal rule and the other is the airline's rule.
I would call the specific airline and talk to a live representive and ask them. If TSA is cool with it, then it's air carrier specific.

Sent from tomorrow

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
I don't see how they can ban lithium batteries. They're in cell phones, laptops, etc., too. So...that means people can't take those on a plane any more either? Or...is the regulation only about extra, loose batteries, not installed in a device?
That applies to loose batteries, internal would be laptop, cell, electric razors, etc.

Sent from tomorrow

MissBlue

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2014
Lansdowne, PA, USA
omg. :w00t: DUHHHH. I'm a dweeb. I fully admit it to all and sundry gathered here. Let the public flogging commence. :lol: lmfao.

i just went to check the complete prohibited items list, with the full explanations, on the airline website (not just the short version with the X'd icons shown at the time of booking) - and all of these are prohibited only in CHECKED baggage. not in carry-ons.

So. yeah. :-x DERP. i'm all good now.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
@Tonee N -

Does it apply to only eliquids? Are you sure it's 100mL total? Not just it can't be any bigger than 3.4oz. = 100mL? Or is it 100mL including ALL liquids, gels, pastes, in your baggie?

I'm going to have to go look at that in any event. Is it at your link above?
@JCinFLA, it should be in the link. Whatever is on their page has to be current.

Sent from tomorrow

Reactions: JCinFLA

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
omg. :w00t: DUHHHH. I'm a dweeb. I fully admit it to all and sundry gathered here. Let the public flogging commence. [emoji38] lmfao.

i just went to check the complete prohibited items list, with the full explanations, on the airline website (not just the short version with the X'd icons shown at the time of booking) - and all of these are prohibited only in CHECKED baggage. not in carry-ons.

So. yeah. :-x DERP. i'm all good now.
[emoji16] I would much rather see you miss something on the airline's page(LOTS of fine print) than you get to the airport and have them tell you that you have to ditch your gear. That would not go well with me.[emoji35]

Sent from tomorrow

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
From TSA website just now:

My TSA - Home Airport (Search results for Liquids)

"You may carry liquids, gels and aerosols in your carry-on bags only if they adhere to the 3-1-1 rule:
containers must be 3.4 ounces or less;
stored in a 1 quart/liter zip-top bag;
1 zip-top bag per person, placed in the screening bin.

Larger amounts of non-medicinal liquids, gels, and aerosols must be placed in checked baggage."

ETA: Page also has exclusions to those size regulations that apply to medical liquids, baby formula, breast milk, etc.

Last edited:

MissBlue

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2014
Lansdowne, PA, USA
than you get to the airport and have them tell you that you have to ditch your gear. That would not go well with me.

yah. me neither. exactly why i was here asking, in hopes of arming myself with enough info to avoid just that scenario.

moot point now though. :thumb: tee hee.

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
From TSA website just now:

My TSA - Home Airport (Search results for Liquids)

"You may carry liquids, gels and aerosols in your carry-on bags only if they adhere to the 3-1-1 rule:
containers must be 3.4 ounces or less;
stored in a 1 quart/liter zip-top bag;
1 zip-top bag per person, placed in the screening bin.

Larger amounts of non-medicinal liquids, gels, and aerosols must be placed in checked baggage."

ETA: Page also has exclusions to those size regulations that apply to medical liquids, baby formula, breast milk, etc.
I should have been more specific. How many 3.4oz bottles can you put in a 1 quart zip lock bag? I'm not arguing, just trying to help.[emoji106]

Sent from tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread