? for ProVape, is it possible to adapt the tapered ProVari to P3 threading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
@Zen~ , have you ever run into the dreaded locked ring syndrome, where the 510 ring and outer ring bind to a 510 attie and lock up like they are welded together? I have a Ti ProVari that has done this with two different atomizers now. first it locked onto a Kanger Subtank, which really didn't surprise me as the threading is frankly horrendous on that atomizer...but tonight it locked onto my ZAU...Luckily the ZAU ring started unscrewing with the other two rings and at some point along the way freed up. The Kanger incident wasn't quite so pretty and required some 14" pliers to get enough leverage to break the bind. ( I left it in the freezer overnight in hopes that it would loosen to no avail)

It seems like there is a possibility of some interference from the different thread pitches involved. ? I never screw my atties down too tight, and many times use shims to take up space when the 510 threads are unusually long. It seems to happen when there is just a little slack, and I give the attie a little turn to snug it, not using much force, but the binding action exhibits way more strength than it took to tighten the attie, like WAY out of proportion...

Reactions: gnees

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
@Zen~ , have you ever run into the dreaded locked ring syndrome, where the 510 ring and outer ring bind to a 510 attie and lock up like they are welded together? I have a Ti ProVari that has done this with two different atomizers now. first it locked onto a Kanger Subtank, which really didn't surprise me as the threading is frankly horrendous on that atomizer...but tonight it locked onto my ZAU...Luckily the ZAU ring started unscrewing with the other two rings and at some point along the way freed up. The Kanger incident wasn't quite so pretty and required some 14" pliers to get enough leverage to break the bind. ( I left it in the freezer overnight in hopes that it would loosen to no avail)

It seems like there is a possibility of some interference from the different thread pitches involved. ? I never screw my atties down too tight, and many times use shims to take up space when the 510 threads are unusually long. It seems to happen when there is just a little slack, and I give the attie a little turn to snug it, not using much force, but the binding action exhibits way more strength than it took to tighten the attie, like WAY out of proportion...

Not entirely sure, I have never actually used the 510/beauty ring on a single thing. I was prototyping attys with P3 threading when the P3 Dealer Prototype hit the street, and prior to that I had a pre-production P3 connector to use for experimentation... so, I can look at it, but I haven't actually experienced it.

And I despise 510 connectors, have not used a 510 atty in over a year, with the exception of a KayFun 4 that I owned for three days in January... Hated it too...

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Not entirely sure, I have never actually used the 510/beauty ring on a single thing. I was prototyping attys with P3 threading when the P3 Dealer Prototype hit the street, and prior to that I had a pre-production P3 connector to use for experimentation... so, I can look at it, but I haven't actually experienced it.

And I despise 510 connectors, have not used a 510 atty in over a year, with the exception of a KayFun 4 that I owned for three days in January... Hated it too...
Thanks for the reply, Provape is aware of the issue, as I went to open a ticket ( didn't follow through), I saw mention of this issue and a few recommended remedies. It really caught me by surprise, and frankly, I thought I was going to destroy either the atomizer or the rings trying to separate them.

WorksForMe

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 21, 2012
N.N., Virginia
Thanks for the reply, Provape is aware of the issue, as I went to open a ticket ( didn't follow through), I saw mention of this issue and a few recommended remedies. It really caught me by surprise, and frankly, I thought I was going to destroy either the atomizer or the rings trying to separate them.

I haven't had the two rings lock together, but I've had the 510 connection ring stuck to my KFL a couple times. It's not something I want to worry about. TBH, I've thought about asking Zen to put the tapered caps back on the two 2.5s that he converted for me.

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
I haven't had the two rings lock together, but I've had the 510 connection ring stuck to my KFL a couple times. It's not something I want to worry about. TBH, I've thought about asking Zen to put the tapered caps back on the two 2.5s that he converted for me.
Hint: Use a coin to LOCK the 510 connector into the P3, then put the beauty ring on there. Then the atty. I'm going to play with this problem in the upcoming week to see what works best.

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
Here's a little eye candy from the HoH custom shop... A little scroll engraving to make things classy!

IMG_3971.JPG
IMG_3970.JPG

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
Sweet end cap! You have some pretty cool toys to play with in your shop :thumbs:

How hard would it be to make a one piece P3 top ring for 510 threads?

This is why I laugh when the critics assume I farm everything out, ya can't do this stuff cost effectively if it has to go through contract shops. It's my gear, my schedule, my risk... everything.

I can chase flights of fancy if I desire!

Regarding the one piece P3 top ring for 510 threads... Not sure... I would have to make a few thousand of them to make 'em cost effective. I can explore it, but I doubt the demand is there to justify the design and setup costs.

The engraving stuff is done on the ZenGraver... It's 1600 pounds of custom designed milling capability that's specifically designed and built in my shop to do this sort of thing, one at a time, so it doesn't have the burden of mass production to justify the setup time... A P3/510/top ring would need to be run on a Swiss Machine... That's a WHOLE other level of complexity.

The Engraved Battery Caps were an idea a couple weeks ago... and poof, like magic, they end up in the Square Store in less than a month. We can move pretty fast, when I want one for myself... lol

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld

:blink:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread