For recipes only!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dp earl

Jul 20, 2009
PA
thanks for the reply! I have a nice bottle of 151 just waiting for something to do! I got a bottle of 90 proof vodka today- i wasnt sure what proof to use- its working great with just some VG, vodka and some bickford flavoring. I actually think I'm getting a better vape from this mix than from the TW I use. I am waiting for my pg to arrive but bickford uses it in the flavorings. I will post the mix when I get a better measuring device. Waiting to see what happens to my atomizer but so far...mmmmmm good!

dochogan

Jun 13, 2009
I don't know why you are wasting your money on commercial 0 nic liquid. The only reason to use nic liquid is for the nic. You can use any recipe you like by substituting out the nic liquid with any combination of PG and VG you prefer. You have no FDA problems.

That's actually the point he's making (and I have the same request: recipes NOT using commercial nic-based flavored juices).

I (and apparently dp_earl) want to go the 100% homemade DIY juice route. Many recipes given here require the purchase of pre-flavored nic juice. For those of us who are mixing zero-nic or are using an unflavored nic base, the recipes that are built around commercial flavors (i.e. "2 parts JC 555" or "20 drops TW Watermelon") kind of defeat the DIY ethos. Or at least our "doing it on the super-cheap" ethos ;)

Please folks, if you could...more recipes that do NOT use preflavored juices. If the FDA keeps going the way it is, we're gonna have a hard time getting those juices, nicotine content or not, and it's time to start gathering truly 'from scratch' DIY juice recipes. Perhaps a new format for such recipes would help/work better? I think dividing recipes into 2 main components makes the most sense, first component being the neutral base with or without nicotine, and the second part being flavorings and additions. Just a thought.

Example:
(NOTE: THIS IS NOT A REAL RECIPE, JUST MAKING IT UP!)

FruityLoops

18 parts neutral base*
4 parts LorAnn cherry
4 parts LorAnn raspberry
1 part LorAnn orange oil

*I use 20/20/10/5 46mg/PG/VG/alc
(as an afterthought, though...it sounds tasty :D )

This recipe could be used by anyone, with any base they want at any strength.

dochogan

Jun 13, 2009
thanks for the reply! I have a nice bottle of 151 just waiting for something to do! I got a bottle of 90 proof vodka today- i wasnt sure what proof to use- its working great with just some VG, vodka and some bickford flavoring. I actually think I'm getting a better vape from this mix than from the TW I use. I am waiting for my pg to arrive but bickford uses it in the flavorings. I will post the mix when I get a better measuring device. Waiting to see what happens to my atomizer but so far...mmmmmm good!

From my...erm...moonshining experience (shhhhh! FDA might be listening ;) )

Proof == ABV *2 (@ 60deg Far)

So your 90 proof is ~45% alcohol content by volume. Alcohol-content-wise, you'd be better off with the 151 @ (151/2) ~75.5% ABV. That's not taking into account any sugars, flavinoids, fusel oils, congeners, particulates, colorings, or whatever fluids make up the other 24.5%, of course. Everclear is the absolute best choice for off-the-shelf ethenol (see below).

Ethenol is an hydroscopic azeotrope; it is nearly impossible to maintain pure alcohol outside a lab environment, so for PURE alcohol, you assume 95% alcohol, 5% water. Any purer, and it will simply absorb water from the air until it reaches 95-95.5% ABV (this is the hydroscopic part). The maximum distillable alcohol content is 191 proof, or 95.5% ABV; the distillation process simply cannot separate it further (even fractional distillation, which is AFAIK the most controllable and refinable method known); this is the 'azeotrope' part.

Everclear (made by Luxco) is 190 proof (95%ABV, or 'pure' ethenol). Because of its high potency, Everclear 190 is illegal in a lot of places (like my previous home of Florida :( ), and can be difficult to find elsewhere even if it is legal. It is also more commonly available in 151 proof (75.5% ABV), which is still MUCH better for our purposes, as the other 24.5% is (presumably) pure distilled water, with none of the other components of a flavored spirit such as rum.

OUTSIDE OF ALL THAT, however.... use your vodka. By knowing it's alcohol and water contents (45% and 55%, respectively) you can formulate your recipes taking that into account, and without off-flavoring your vapes or risking your atty with the 'extras' in the rum.

[UPDATE]: Earl...sorry to tell you, but apparently PA is one of the states that 191 is illegal :( You might be able to find 151, though.

Here's a list of US states where 191 is banned: California, Florida, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, Nevada, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington and West Virginia. (copied from wikipedia)
[/UPDATE]

[UPDATE #2] And Earl...if you're really not knowing what to do with that Bacardi 151, I could PM you my mailing address...I can think of an EXCELLENT use for it :D [/UPDATE

Last edited:

DonDaBoomVape

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2009
South Florida
www.VapingGuides.com
RenaissancePuffer,

In one of RitaLee76's instructional videos, she mixed some pecan flavoring into purchased "Pralines & Cream" e-liquid.

Off the top of my head (no experience to back it up), I wonder how some butter flavor (e.g., Wilson's) would work. I know that I love butter rum; and butter pecan certainly sucessful in ice cream. Other ideas: RY4, coffee, or caramel. And, for an Irish Coffee effect, add in some whiskey flavoring.

Follow any of these ideas at your own risk. If they taste like yuck, don't bame me. :) They all *feel* right, however, and it's doubtful they would taste terrible ... with the possible exception of that last one.;)

JustMeAgain

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2009
Springfield, MO
dp earl,

This is my recipe for one I call Overproof 0. The following makes 7ml. Sometimes I add a few drops of Loranne Butter Rum flavoring as well.

2.63 ml 37.5% VG
3.5 ml 50% PG
0.87 ml 12.5% 151 Rum

yknotagain, I'm curious if you get a throat hit with this mixture. If not, does anyone have a zero nic juice recipe w/a throat hit.

I'm still confused about what causes that sensation. Tonight I vaped 36mg straight and felt no hit whatsoever, so I'm wondering what it is if not the nic.

I'd love a good strong flavor - esp vanilla, but I hear no one has figured out that flavor yet - and all the other bells and whistles..vapor, strong as possible hit.

I had some prefilled carts come with my first ecig that were apple flavored and I was surprised how good it was and what a nice hit it gave, but I have used a ton of LorAnn's apple and I've not managed to get even close.

raltenbach

ECF Veteran
May 11, 2009
West Allis, WI USA
I was actually trying (and still am trying) to make a Chartreuse e-liquid and ended up with what tastes like a nice French Absinthe.

For the base liquid:
15ml Clove liquid
7ml French Pipe
7ml Hilton (any smooth NON sweet tobacco would work)

To this I added:
10 drops Lorann Licorice
2 drops Lorann Wintergreen
1 drop Lorann Keoke Coffee (trust me)
1 drop Orange Cream flavor

Added a little VG to cut down nic content and increase vapor production.

Shake and enjoy.

Once I realized it tasted more like absinthe than Chartreuse, I poured myself a glass of Absinthe to compare the flavor. My first batch was made without the french pipe liquid or the coffee flavor but something was missing. Not quite bitter enough. After adding french pipe and ONE drop of Keoke Coffee it was damn near perfect. Then I added the drop of Orange Cream which really helped round out the flavor. Very complex taste just like the real thing.

--WARNING--
Your atty will taste like Absinthe for a very long time. Try it in a cartomizer first to see if you like it. I love this flavor, so I've dedicated a 510 atty to it.

Happy Vaping

lorgain

ECF Veteran
Jul 18, 2009
Dickson TN
yknotagain, I'm curious if you get a throat hit with this mixture. If not, does anyone have a zero nic juice recipe w/a throat hit.

I'm still confused about what causes that sensation. Tonight I vaped 36mg straight and felt no hit whatsoever, so I'm wondering what it is if not the nic.

I'd love a good strong flavor - esp vanilla, but I hear no one has figured out that flavor yet - and all the other bells and whistles..vapor, strong as possible hit.

I had some prefilled carts come with my first ecig that were apple flavored and I was surprised how good it was and what a nice hit it gave, but I have used a ton of LorAnn's apple and I've not managed to get even close.

It's my experience that the equipment you are using is what provides the throat hit. I only use 0 nic juices. With a fresh battery and a good atomizer, I can get a throat hit every time. But not too long after using the battery, the throat hit lessens. With a crappy atomizer, you can hook it up to a 12 volt car battery and you're not going to get any throat hit. The way I have just permanently solved the throat hit dilemma was to get a Prodigy USB passthru from Pure Smoker. This company also has the best DSE 801 pen style atomizers I've ever purchased. These are not dainty little vape makers either. They just keep on going and going. And with the 5volt force driving the atomizer --sheez-- I think you can drip Koolaid and get a throat hit.

redjazzy1

ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2009
Florida
had an empty camel 3ml with maybe a couple of drops

about 1ml VG
1ml turkish
1ml unflavored
3 whole cloves

i'll let you know how it turns out at 24hrs and so on... so you know how long to let it sit! i'll do a single atty, 3-5 drops per day every 24 hrs (give or take an hour or two)... like a scientific study! woo hoo!

24 hour update- still mostly turkish... but the clove is there-ish

Last edited:

RenaissancePuffer

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Just a heads up to everyone: Soon I will be buying ALL the LorAnns cheesecake flavoring in the WORLD. Get yours while you can!

Save some for me! :p Seriously, this is a wonderful flavor. Goes GREAT with vanilla, and also marshmellow. ALSO cherry. Umm, the list can probably go on and on...

talmadgemonroe

ECF Veteran
Jul 16, 2009
Kalamazoo
Save some for me! :p Seriously, this is a wonderful flavor. Goes GREAT with vanilla, and also marshmellow. ALSO cherry. Umm, the list can probably go on and on...

Yeah, I find that any flavor that is too strong or I don't like very well, cheesecake fixes it. I also make batches of just cheesecake and and use it as a base flavor.

Hows Nicolette these days? I miss it.

miketr

ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Southern Illinois (rural area)
Well, I put together my first flavor today, a cherry, although it was all from prepurchased elements I had on hand. I was pleased with the results; vaping from a 901, it has a cherry flavor, not heavy, but distinct, a good throat hit, and good nic content. I got 34 milliliters at significantly less cost than purchasing it premade.

Medium Cherry Nic eLiquid Recipe

10 ml (29 %) 48-Nic VG for nicotine
10 ml (29 %) 29 % 0-Nic Cherry Flavored VG (RuyanDirect) for flavor
10 ml (29 %) 29 % PGA (190 Gem Clear) for throat hit
4 ml (11 %) VG (Wilson’s Glycerine) (Rounded to nearest ml) for vapor

And I used an empty cart I had stuffed with polyester filler.
So it’s basically a mild cherry flavored 14-Nic with enough PGA for throat hit and enough VG for good vapor. This offsets some issues I’ve experienced with my 901 (throat hit and vapor) while capitalizing on its strong point of good flavor.

I’m pleased, it should last me through until I have made some good home made menthol and tobacco flavorings from recipes on the forum that I can combine for a menthol cigarette flavor.

Happy Vaping!

Immortalitylost

Jul 24, 2009
Sorry in advance, this is all mixed from already on hand nic juice as I don't have DIY supplies yet, but some great flavor combos to try out with DIY stuff and whatever base you use anyway, lol.

Blueberry mint:

About 8 parts blueberry to 2 mint in the pre made stuff (I use eliquidplanet juice)
I'd love to hear if someone tries this DIY though! I plan to as soon as I get meh schtuff!

If you're tryin to get an RY4 mix DIY style, caramel of course, but maybe try some bickfords burnt sugar, and just a touch of blueberry flavor? I find I get these two tastes from RY4, so just a thought if someones tryin to perfect their recipe, yano, lol.

And (maybe obvious) but coffee+mint is the awesome!

And try adding a touch of cinnamon to cola flavors (I add it to just about everything). Yummy!

Ooh, and has anyone tried adding a bit o cappella's grahm cracker to cheesecake, wit maybe a little caramel, and whatever fruit? That'd prolly make it about perfect!

Just some thoughts, lol, I'll post back once I actually have tried out some stuff. (^_^)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread