Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Amazon and eBay images broken by Photobucket's 'ransom demand' - BBC News

Photobucket has been slowly changing things making it more difficult to link an image to where it appears on other sites. Their latest attempt will most likely have many fleeing the site in a fit of rage as they now want money in order for you to link your images using an img tag.

So for all of you that have linked images here on ECF from Photobucket, they're no longer going to show unless you give them tons of cash for an account that allows you to do so. Depending on the user backlash over this, they may change things back, but for now it doesn't look good.

Winblows

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2017
Copenhagen (UTC+1)
signed victim :(
RI4GAsT.jpg

Reactions: Opinionated

NGAHaze

Infinity Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Georgia
I don't know if this is new or not but I also noticed that if you have a free account and accidentally go over your storage limit, they will immediately lock your account and refuse you access until you become a paying member, essentially holding your data hostage.

That's pretty sad and practically extortion.

Reactions: anavidfan

badinfluence357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2012
NYC
I guess if your making money on other sites why not pay.. if your just posting pictures with no personal gain then you shouldn't pay. I think thats a good way to look at it but just locking all pictures prior to the changes without a warning is wrong...

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I guess if your making money on other sites why not pay.. if your just posting pictures with no personal gain then you shouldn't pay. I think thats a good way to look at it but just locking all pictures prior to the changes without a warning is wrong...

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

They want $399 bucks for an account that allows you to hotlink. No thank you.

Winblows

ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2017
Copenhagen (UTC+1)
I haven't used their services for commercial purposes and noticed the ransomware issue here last Sunday, but now the previous links are working fine. I don't know why and I don't care :) This is for free, so I don't expect anything from them.
I have changed the service provider since then.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I display images on the forum occaisionally and do that by using the "upload a file" button available in the forum when creating a post. Why is that feature rarely mentioned here? For the uninitiated it's possible to upload a photo located in google photos or gooogle drive. Take a photo with your phone, upload too google photos then upload from there to the forum from any device you might be using to create a new post. As long as the forum provides that service why bother with anything else?

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I've had some problems recently directly embedding imgur images. Let me try right now, while logged in at imgur ...

30nLOQr.jpg

and, while not logged in ...

tKPhE8s.jpg

Problems with moggy dogs and burrito space kittens can be solved using a good firewall, but make sure it doesn't get too hot.

Reactions: MacTechVpr

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
I just deleted all content there and requested my account to be closed. For about a year and a half the site has been unuseable to me anyways due to a bombardment of pop ups which freeze my computer up. Bummer that all those pics are gone, but they were all taken specifically for third party hosting in various places... oh well, it is what it is.

Reactions: WillyZee

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
    I display images on the forum occaisionally and do that by using the "upload a file" button available in the forum when creating a post. .. As long as the forum provides that service why bother with anything else?
    I have embedded an image or two from my media library here, but mostly have just hotlinked a picture to a post I make. I prefer to do it that way because it uses up less space on the server(s). Now the pictures I have included in a post aren't that big, but a byte is a byte.. Well technically, a byte is eight characters, but that just shows the nerd side (as opposed to the geek side) of me, eh?

Reactions: DavidOck

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 2, 2013
    BC Canada
    Photobucket lately has been plagued with popup ads, slower than molasses loading and just plain not being user friendly anymore. Yesterday I got a "some features on your account will be disabled" email and YUP..they disabled my ability to upload a pic cause I tried. Its funny cause today is 9 years(July 8, 2008) when I created the account and now just going to abandon it to see if they decide to break my pic links, if they do that then... delete all 89 pics then account closed. I opened a Imgur account and kicked the bucket to the curb. Photobucket can kiss my A** if they think for one second that I'm going to pay to use their site.

pennysmalls

Squonkmeister
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 26, 2013
    Indiana
    14 years with Photobucket for us. It was great for photo sharing but wasn't used enough to warrant truly hurt feelings. I just deleted my account but only because I think how they did this was messed up. I remember years ago being a member of a few forums where we could link photos directly from our computer. Sure wish we could still do that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread