• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Former Jarhead to Current Jarheads...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejuiceconnoisseur

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Just curious... I served the Misguided Children from '97 to '01. Back then, we smoked in our barracks rooms, even though it was not technically "allowed," and nobody (not even the non-smokers) made a stink about it. Hell, half of us would smoke while running our 3-mile PFT (only a slight exageration). E-cigs weren't available back then, but I'm sure the Marine Corps of the late 90s would have fully supported the technology. What's their position on vaping now? Do they allow it indoors? Is it allowed in your personal barracks quarters? On boat? etc...? Just curious how the Marines of today are being treated by their magnificent, if sometimes beaurocratic, superiors.

BadDaddy4007

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2012
San Antonio, Tx. U.S.A.
My fellow Brothers of Arms, I was in from '71 to '75. I remember my PT instructor lead us in PT with a stogie crammed in and he never took it out while running and dang, that man could run! I also remember my DI telling us that smoking was a great way of keeping the skeeter bugs off of you or at least making them go to the next guy. Go figure.
And Semper Fi!

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Just curious... I served the Misguided Children from '97 to '01. Back then, we smoked in our barracks rooms, even though it was not technically "allowed," and nobody (not even the non-smokers) made a stink about it. Hell, half of us would smoke while running our 3-mile PFT (only a slight exageration). E-cigs weren't available back then, but I'm sure the Marine Corps of the late 90s would have fully supported the technology. What's their position on vaping now? Do they allow it indoors? Is it allowed in your personal barracks quarters? On boat? etc...? Just curious how the Marines of today are being treated by their magnificent, if sometimes beaurocratic, superiors.
92-98 here, 2841
Would spark up a Red within 20 feet of the finish line on the PFT
Bootcamp final PFT 19min20~ seconds...went downhill from there

Would definitely like to find out more on what the new corps is all about

Jzaelke

Verified Member
Jun 21, 2013
Jacksonville, NC
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Dupe

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town

ut1205

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Chattanooga, Tn, USA

Rader2146

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 11, 2012
Waco, TX
Oh for cripes sakes!!! That picture is just freeking all sorts of messed up!

Spent 11 months in the stumps for MOS school, then another 6 months in 97 at CAX...it sucked!

Aww..come on now, the stumps isn't that bad. I'm one of the crazy ones that cant wait to get back.

One things is for certain, if 29 Palms has those signs, so do the other bases. It's not surprising that MCCS and Semper-Fit have taken a stand against e-cigs. They have always been anti-nicotine...in any form. From a performance/readiness standpoint (which Semper Fit weighs strongly upon), I get it. Nicotine, as a vasoconstrictor, does have negative effects on performance for those like me that were not blessed with the ability to take one last drag after the 3-mile run starts. From a health and wellness standpoint....that sign and their anti-nicotine stance is heinous and egregious. The Medical Officers will hand out prescriptions for Chantix like is is Motrin. If you dont have an history with Chantix....all I can say is WOW! It does work to help quit smoking, but the side effects....WOW again. As a 2 time Chantix user, I'm almost surprised that they haven't banned it because depression and suicidal thoughts are some of the most prominent side effects. Those of you that are still in, or recently got out, know how hard they are hitting suicide prevention. So instead of advocating harm reduction and weening off of nic, they take a knee jerk stance that turns Marines back to drugs that have a list of side effects longer than an enlistment contract. My second time on Chantix (after a year smoke free) was so bad that I gave up after 3 weeks of feeling like a conscious zombie (minus the hunger for flesh).

All-in-all, between the Lejeune BO that lumps e-cigs in with traditional cigarettes in the Tobacco Prevention Program and now this sign from MCCS/Semper Fit, I'm pretty disgusted about where this is headed. Unfortunately, the Marine Corps does not need a ruling from the FDA to make things painful for those of us that have found an EFFECTIVE harm reduction / tobacco cessation method.

Last edited:

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Semper Fi

1452125_631730123545996_1594488372_n.png

GreatestUnKnown

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
Bay Area CA.
Surprisingly I didn't really find out about e-cigs or vaping (nicotine) till after I had EASd. If I had known about it while in I would have been pushing it on all of my Marines who smoked or dipped and wouldn't have given a flying [moderated] if they did it in their barracks (depending on their roommates. 08-13 Air Winger OEF 12.1, miss it and don't at the same time. Semper

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi! I haven't been on a Marine Corps base in 2 years (Recruiting Duty ...) so I haven't seen those signs. That is ridiculous! I get what MCCS is trying to do, they don't want us addicted to nicotine. Got it. I used the patches the first time I was SERIOUS about quitting. They DID work, but the dreams I was having (even though I took the patch off BEFORE going to bed) were intense. I'd wake up in the middle of the night to my roommate and sometimes the neighbor trying to hold me down or wake me up. Now, I've found a better alternative, and they are trying to make it look just as bad? Come on, no bad smell, no yellow teeth, no stank breath. I'm in and out of High Schools every day. I'm talking to students, teachers, and parents, I don't need to be smelling like an ash tray. I can work my way down to lower levels of nicotine without having to resort to pills/patches/counseling, then eventually be off the nic for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread