Formula to calculate Mah/Whr at different voltages?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnage9270

ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2015
Washington
Hello all,

Is there a magic formula to calculate run time on a battery at different voltages? For instance, I have a 4S lipo rated at 20,000 mah. I would assume that the run time for that battery is calculated using the battery's voltage (16.8v fully charged). But is there a way to calculate the run time I would get if I was running that pack at 12v instead of 16.8v?

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Hello all,

Is there a magic formula to calculate run time on a battery at different voltages? For instance, I have a 4S lipo rated at 20,000 mah. I would assume that the run time for that battery is calculated using the battery's voltage (16.8v fully charged). But is there a way to calculate the run time I would get if I was running that pack at 12v instead of 16.8v?

No need to use voltage at all. The capacity number already is the run time.
    20Ah = 20A for one hour.

But this assumes zero internal resistance, i.e., a 100% efficient battery, and that doesn't exist. For example, that 20Ah capacity rating was measured at a discharge rate of less than 0.5A. As the current goes up the actual capacity of the battery goes down.

But for comparing one battery to another, it works ok just to use the capacity rating to estimate differences n run time. This assumes roughly comparable batteries in terms of C ratings and internal resistances.

Reactions: KenD and Assi

Carnage9270

ECF Veteran
    Feb 27, 2015
    Washington
    No need to use voltage at all. The capacity number already is the run time.
    20Ah = 20A for one hour.

But this assumes zero internal resistance, i.e., a 100% efficient battery, and that doesn't exist. For example, that 20Ah capacity rating was measured at a discharge rate of less than 0.5A. As the current goes up the actual capacity of the battery goes down.

But for comparing one battery to another, it works ok just to use the capacity rating to estimate differences n run time. This assumes roughly comparable batteries in terms of C ratings and internal resistances.
    Thanks Mooch! Another question though, when they run the tests don't they run it at .5A at nominal voltage? And wouldn't it be different if you ran it at a lower voltage at .5A?

Mooch

Electron Wrangler
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • May 13, 2015
    Thanks Mooch! Another question though, when they run the tests don't they run it at .5A at nominal voltage? And wouldn't it be different if you ran it at a lower voltage at .5A?

The battery takes whatever voltage it wants to for the discharge current level being used. You can't select the battery voltage.

Reactions: KenD
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread